BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

not for nothing, and I'm not calling myself or the author of the tweet an expert, but if anyone has ever owned a vehicle of any kind, you know for a fact that all it takes is driving thru a couple of inches of water to completely destroy an engine or transmission. so, if these 30 Castleton units (letalone ANY MTA buses) were in fact driven thru any amount of rain water (flooding), it would be safe to assume that the units in question are finished... as in totally destroyed. it's not worth any time or money to repair flooded vehicles. 

I know there was a few buses flooded up the the height of the rear area (the step up area in the bus) so I wonder if those are done too

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anybody ever noticed that most of LGA 40 foot routes have lousy headways off peak? Over the years when I fan an LGA route I usually ride the 33/53/69/70/72 which have pretty good service but I wanted to fan their other local routes and man those headways are trash (I'm using the Queens service guide for reference) .

I hate having to look at schedules to fan routes within the five boroughs, Brooklyn spoils me when it comes to bus service, most routes here just stand at the bus stop and wait like 10 minutes at most before a bus shows up. 

4 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

not for nothing, and I'm not calling myself or the author of the tweet an expert, but if anyone has ever owned a vehicle of any kind, you know for a fact that all it takes is driving thru a couple of inches of water to completely destroy an engine or transmission. so, if these 30 Castleton units (letalone ANY MTA buses) were in fact driven thru any amount of rain water (flooding), it would be safe to assume that the units in question are finished... as in totally destroyed. it's not worth any time or money to repair flooded vehicles. 

It depends on the vehicle age and need for units, but you are generally correct. They might salvage Novas with a new transmission and/or new wiring, but they would likely let any Orions and older MCIs go.

The Next Gens that are at Manhattanville may have to move back a few units up both Gun Hill and Kingsbridge. Due to the hurricane that impacted units out of Castleton Depot causing some of them to be retired. 

Edited by Calvin

2 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The Next Gens that are at Manhattanville may have to move back a few units up both Gun Hill and Kingsbridge. Due to the hurricane that impacted units out of Castleton Depot causing some of them to be retired. 

I'm thinking no to that, however, GH/KB might hold onto the ones they already have even when they receive their order of new buses.

29 minutes ago, Calvin said:

On top of all of that Queens Village has recently received GH/KB/MHV NG's due to scrapping some OG's.

Could some of these swaps impact the retirement of Queens Village's OG's?

8 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I respectfully disagree. Couple of inches? I have driven my car (compact) through that and nothing. Considering that chassis of an average car sits perhaps five or six inches above the ground, it theory sitting in three or four inches of water for some time should in theory affect the breaks, perhaps wheels and possibly exhaust. The chassis of buses sit higher above the ground, although in case of the low floor units not by much. And if everything is fine, engine and transmission should not be immediately affected since they are sealed, if they were not the bus would be spewing oil or transmission fluid all over the place.

There is video of a bus driven through water deep enough to force passengers to stand on the seats. And that bus went through. Had any serious problem occurred, it would have stalled.

The problem is when a vehicle is submerged if water (especially salt) for hours, especially when water gets sucked into the engine or if a hot vehicle is driven through water and it stalls and the level is enough to suck the water into critical parts of the vehicle, especially when this vehicle cools down.

The above mentioned post by a SI politician mentions 4ft (48 inches) of water. This much is of course almost automatic death sentence for any regular vehicle. But I wonder where a million dollar buses are. According to the post below, the 2012 Prevosts (most in UP) cost $550,228 per unit.

https://mtanyctransitfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Volvo_Group_Prevost_X3-45_(Mtamaster_edition)

4 minutes ago, TomaszSBklyn said:

I respectfully disagree. Couple of inches? I have driven my car (compact) through that and nothing. Considering that chassis of an average car sits perhaps five or six inches above the ground, it theory sitting in three or four inches of water for some time should in theory affect the breaks, perhaps wheels and possibly exhaust. The chassis of buses sit higher above the ground, although in case of the low floor units not by much. And if everything is fine, engine and transmission should not be immediately affected since they are sealed, if they were not the bus would be spewing oil or transmission fluid all over the place.

There is video of a bus driven through water deep enough to force passengers to stand on the seats. And that bus went through. Had any serious problem occurred, it would have stalled.

The problem is when a vehicle is submerged if water (especially salt) for hours, especially when water gets sucked into the engine or if a hot vehicle is driven through water and it stalls and the level is enough to suck the water into critical parts of the vehicle, especially when this vehicle cools down.

The above mentioned post by a SI politician mentions 4ft (48 inches) of water. This much is of course almost automatic death sentence for any regular vehicle. But I wonder where a million dollar buses are. According to the post below, the 2012 Prevosts (most in UP) cost $550,228 per unit.

https://mtanyctransitfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Volvo_Group_Prevost_X3-45_(Mtamaster_edition)

What your failing to understand is that water crested into most of these buses at CAS. These buses have electrical structuring . So if water seeps into the electrical compartment of a bus than it is a complete lost. It is the same if you modify your vehicle to have it low and water goes into the electrical portion of your vehicle. Your vehicle is finished. Simply a lemon.

5 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

What your failing to understand is that water crested into most of these buses at CAS. These buses have electrical structuring . So if water seeps into the electrical compartment of a bus than it is a complete lost. It is the same if you modify your vehicle to have it low and water goes into the electrical portion of your vehicle. Your vehicle is finished. Simply a lemon.

Are you talking about electric HYBRID buses?

Just a heads up in case someone else ends up seeing it appear on any West Farms route: XN40 729 is tracking as Nova Bus LFSA 5544 (SBS Schemed). 

3 hours ago, lil hershey said:

Can some explain to me how a Unlimted Mertocard work?

You can swipe as many times as you want (subway or bus), with almost no limits once you buy it, for 30 days up until 11:59 PM the day of (regardless the time you bought your unlimited). The only constraints are that you can't use it at the same subway station or same bus route in the same direction for 18 minutes from first use. 

Also, be careful with any monetary value on a card, because although you can store money on the same card, you can't transfer that money to another card for some reason. 

3 hours ago, lil hershey said:

Can some explain to me how a Unlimted Mertocard work?

29 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

You can swipe as many times as you want (subway or bus), with almost no limits once you buy it, for 30 days up until 11:59 PM the day of (regardless the time you bought your unlimited). The only constraints are that you can't use it at the same subway station or same bus route in the same direction for 18 minutes from first use. 

Also, be careful with any monetary value on a card, because although you can store money on the same card, you can't transfer that money to another card for some reason. 

Also, a warning that unlimited metrocards cannot be used on Express buses. You need a metrocard that has at least $6.75 on it 

Edited by Calvin

21 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Also, a warning that unlimited metrocards cannot be used on Express buses. You need a metrocard that has at least $6.75 on it 

That actually depends...if you use the subway or local bus within 2 hours (and 18 minutes) before you get on the express bus, it only deducts $4.00. 

23 hours ago, TomaszSBklyn said:

Water getting into an engine is bad, period.

Keep in mind that both gasoline and diesel engines use some form of compression to combust the fuel, especially for diesels which entirely rely on it as they do not use spark plugs. Liquids, no matter how hard you might want to try can never be compressed and something will give should water find itself in an engine's numerous cylinders. That's called hydrolock. Most vehicles are designed to be idiotproof and will shut themselves down should water begin finding ways into areas it does not belong in but so long as water does not reach the air intake you can drive through standing water. You next concern is the electrical system.

32 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

Water getting into an engine is bad, period.

Keep in mind that both gasoline and diesel engines use some form of compression to combust the fuel, especially for diesels which entirely rely on it as they do not use spark plugs. Liquids, no matter how hard you might want to try can never be compressed and something will give should water find itself in an engine's numerous cylinders. That's called hydrolock. Most vehicles are designed to be idiotproof and will shut themselves down should water begin finding ways into areas it does not belong in but so long as water does not reach the air intake you can drive through standing water. You next concern is the electrical system.

Thanks

9 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

6227 (MQ) has a Chase Visa driver side wrap on the front segment of the bus. First time seeing this on an Xcelsior.

Just saw one on 6164 on the M15 as well.

I imagine that the XD40s and LFS hybrids will get them as well as Orion’s continue to be phased out. 

2 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Just saw one on 6164 on the M15 as well.

I imagine that the XD40s and LFS hybrids will get them as well as Orion’s continue to be phased out. 

Outfront Media is buying ad space on the ex-cuomo Xcelsior buses. 

So far I've seen 2 already and plus Chase had this same ad campaign a few months ago (March/April)

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

6227 (MQ) has a Chase Visa driver side wrap on the front segment of the bus. First time seeing this on an Xcelsior.

Saw that articulated coach as well.

I also took note of various articulated coaches and standard units that have a 9/11 We Remember banner programmed in place of the Mask Required banner. 5495, 5497, 5526 and 6185 were on the M23 Crosstown Select+ to and from Chelsea Piers, while 8686 was on the M100 to East Harlem 2nd Avenue - 127 Street.

56 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Concerning your comment in Scrapped Equipment, it is indeed hard to see the '02s coming back into service. Instead, it is more likely that more 2008 CTs and/or 2007 CLs will be kept around than previously expected, once 1587-1606 are delivered. 

12 minutes ago, 1train2255railfan said:

Concerning your comment in Scrapped Equipment, it is indeed hard to see the '02s coming back into service. Instead, it is more likely that more 2008 CTs and/or 2007 CLs will be kept around than previously expected, once 1587-1606 are delivered. 

Coming from a mechanic's perspective and thinking that repowering these 2002 is the wisest choice. It's NOT.

Unless NYCT wants to take on Spring Creek's 2008 CT's and keep the current surviving ones at CAS (that could be a possibility)

I'm not 100% on the rules and regs when it comes to NYCT receiving (MTA) bus equip. (Clarification needed please)