BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

QV has one of the most diverse local fleets yet everytime I ride their routes I always get a damn NG, an LFS or OG would be nice every now and then lol

QV’s fleet was even more diverse back in late 2011/2012 when they were testing 30 LFS, 30 XD40 and 30 Orion VII 3G’s buses each at the depot while having RTS and Orion VII OG (flipdots).  

The Q88 was a fun route to use back then during the early PM rush because you had all those different types of buses I mentioned in addition to Orion V’s, the newer Orion VII OG’s and the Orion VII NG’s because CS used to do the school trippers for the route. 

CS even threw a LFSA on the Q88 school tripper one time :D 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

Looks like I decided to fan QV routes a day too early, they sent a bunch of NGs back to MTV cause of the Nova hybrids being all OOS. 

Also yesterday I rode the Q110 for the first time, I've been on every route that parallels the Q110 multiple times over but never been on the Q110 until yesterday.

I wonder if the NYCT retired those old gens early. If they are still here, not sure if they could be reactivated from ECH scrap for a short time.

Also, Charleston is the only depot in S.I for their local fleet  not in effect to send units over to Manhattan to help cover shortage or part of the bus movement

Edited by Calvin

11 hours ago, Calvin said:

I wonder if the NYCT retired those old gens early. If they are still here, not sure if they could be reactivated from ECH scrap for a short time.

Also, Charleston is the only depot in S.I for their local fleet  not in effect to send units over to Manhattan to help cover shortage or part of the bus movement

I wouldn't say that just yet, if them XDEs get pulled those may come too.

19 hours ago, Calvin said:

That is what I was hoping as well. Those buses that are swing buses in Brooklyn could be reactivated for service if need be. But why are the XDE40s, which have similar plug-style rear doors, not affected?

On 10/17/2021 at 12:26 AM, QM1to6Ave said:

I know this is a total pie-in-the-sky idea, but I wish we could get DOT to turn the Queens Blvd bike lanes into bus lanes (or even an HOV lane). It would relieve the insane traffic and motivate more people to take the buses instead of driving. I see maybe 3 or 4 scooters use those lanes each day on the entire length of the express bus trip from the bridge to Union Tpke--what a waste of space. 

What about moving the Q60 to the main roadway between Jacobus Street and 57 Avenue, and between 62 Drive/63 Avenue and Union Turnpike, with stops located at traffic lights? That would likely help ease delays on the Q60.

5 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

What about moving the Q60 to the main roadway between Jacobus Street and 57 Avenue, and between 62 Drive/63 Avenue and Union Turnpike, with stops located at traffic lights? That would likely help ease delays on the Q60.

Agreed. Throw in TSP too to improve speed!

While getting groceries along Brighton Beach Av, B68 to Windsor Terrace arrives at stop, Q-train Ocean Pkwy. 

-Guy walks in with a bag of shoes with no box (not that much). The bus operator politely asks him that face coverings are required on-board transit. So, guy went mad that he threw one of the shoes into the bus operator shield portion. As, after that happened, furious guy starts making threats but didn't bother him (the bus operator) as he closed the door in front of him. Drove away to the next stop like nothing happened. Only difference is he is not getting one pair of his new shoes back. 

All for a friendly suggestion. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

While getting groceries along Brighton Beach Av, B68 to Windsor Terrace arrives at stop, Q-train Ocean Pkwy. 

-Guy walks in with a bag of shoes with no box (not that much). The bus operator politely asks him that face coverings are required on-board transit. So, guy went mad that he threw one of the shoes into the bus operator shield portion. As, after that happened, furious guy starts making threats but didn't bother him (the bus operator) as he closed the door in front of him. Drove away to the next stop like nothing happened. Only difference is he is not getting one pair of his new shoes back. 

All for a friendly suggestion. 

Sounds like a normal day on the B68 LOL

On 10/21/2021 at 7:52 AM, aemoreira81 said:

Same for the Bx1 Limited on Grand Concourse. Move some stops to the median, too.

9 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

There's FOUR Bensonhurst bound B6 Limited bunched at that Rockaway Parkway (L) station right now. 

Now Five. Never seen so many B6s of the same variation bunched up like that before. Been around the B6 my entire life.

There’s about 8-9 in a row right now. Lol

Yeah....its a mess in Jamaica. The lack of enforcement and signs along the busway doesn't make it any better.

I took a walk over to Sutphin Blvd just to see how things are. I wouldn't say there's more congestion, but there's definitely isn't less. Cars are still going through Jamaica Avenue like if it's any other regular day.

There's hardly any signage at Sutphin Blvd that indicates that Jamaica or Archer Avenue is a busway. There's one regular sized sign at Sutphin/Jamaica showing that only trucks and buses can only go through Jamaica Avenue, but I'm pretty certain that most drivers don't even notice it.

On the Archer Avenue side, there's only one sign that basically says that the best route is to turn right. There's no signs at all indicating that there's a busway.

It's basically just another day in Jamaica. DOT botched this launch hard.

7 hours ago, Transit Enthusiast said:

Same for the Bx1 Limited on Grand Concourse. Move some stops to the median, too.

Something tells me the reason for not doing this is the short stretch around Fordham Road (yes, I know that's a boneheaded reason, but we're not exactly talking about the best and brightest here).