BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

If anyone is interested LFS 8080 is heading towards Floral Park on the X68

Probably not correct. No X68s run that late unless a bus broke down or something, but those buses aren't that old, so very strange if true.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What do you mean used to be 2253?  

Bus was originally 2253, but I think it’s a broken tracker and the bus is still 2253. It would be extremely late for that bus to be still out (left at 7:30).

1 minute ago, NBTA said:

Bus was originally 2253, but I think it’s a broken tracker and the bus is still 2253. It would be extremely late for that bus to be still out (left at 7:30).

Yeah, the trip should've been done over thirty minutes ago and the X68 is usually pretty prompt, so it is all very strange.  I spoke with the (MTA) when I first started my group about having local buses run on express lines and the last time that happened was years ago.  They immediately pulled that bus and made a transfer to ensure there were enough MCI buses. I think it was Baisley Park that was using local buses on the QM4.  Haven't seen it since then.

11 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, the trip should've been done over thirty minutes ago and the X68 is usually pretty prompt, so it is all very strange.  I spoke with the (MTA) when I first started my group about having local buses run on express lines and the last time that happened was years ago.  They immediately pulled that bus and made a transfer to ensure there were enough MCI buses. I think it was Baisley Park that was using local buses on the QM4.  Haven't seen it since then.

We’re they not using local buses on the overnight QM17 during 2020?

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Yeah, but the routes were free to ride and it was only during the overnight hours as the MCI's were only let out during normal hours. Yonkers did something similar, but with Manhattan-based ops using the local buses from wherever the driver was based out of.

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

11 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Totally different situation. I'm talking about regular express bus service. They should not be charging $6.75 for that.  I believe when they did send out regular buses on the QM4, they didn't charge.  Having spoken with someone high up about this that oversees the service, express bus service is supposed to use coach buses always unless there is some extenuating circumstance where that isn't possible. In the case of Baisley Park, they were short MCIs (not the first time it has happened) and so they were using a regular bus here and there, which is why a transfer was made after I spoke with the (MTA) about it.

The overnight service was free, so that's whatever.  

8 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Yeah, but the routes were free to ride and it was only during the overnight hours as the MCI's were only let out during normal hours. Yonkers did something similar, but with Manhattan-based ops using the local buses from wherever the driver was based out of.

I took a few of them myself to see how the service ran since I was out late in the City anyway going home. Earlier on they ran MCIs, but when they had problems filling the trips, they would use local buses and operators from wherever.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Probably not correct. No X68s run that late unless a bus broke down or something, but those buses aren't that old, so very strange if true.

I saw it on Queens Blvd on the main road and there was about 3 people on it. I have a screenshot of 8080 showing up on bus-time on the X68. I don’t know which sites allow me to upload an image onto here. I always found it weird how we don’t have a quick upload feature on these forums. 

14 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I saw it on Queens Blvd on the main road and there was about 3 people on it. I have a screenshot of 8080 showing up on bus-time on the X68. I don’t know which sites allow me to upload an image onto here. I always found it weird how we don’t have a quick upload feature on these forums. 

You can upload an image on here with the insert image from url. If you have a facebook and upload photo to yourself, you can right click to open image to a new tab. Then go to the tab and highlight the link that consists of https://scontent-lga3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/ . Copy the link and paste to url and insert image. It may disappear in about 1-2 weeks but one method to present an image source on here besides Flickr. 

------

Speaking of local buses in Express routes, it happened on the QM21 when their MCIs are most out of service for maintenance way back. 

Edited by Calvin

15 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

That's insane. I definitely want to see that and see if happens again tomorrow. 

Earlier today at Jamaica station close to the LIRR, there was a Q44-SBS making a right turn when the signal was yellow. At that time, the Not In Service bus (4149 when I was just passing by going to take the LIRR to Grand Central) that was out of JFK couldn't make it through giving verbal talk to the Q44 operator. That is where NYPD is there to settle the two with the Q60 having to stop at that section because there was a bumper accident against a Ford and a taxi that's south of Sutphin Blvd close to the LIRR entrance. 

* In about a minute, the Q60 was instructed by an officer where to move with later Archer Av, cars and buses going where they need to go. Sutphin Blvd had the green light and it was sorted out, Q44 continued up north with the bus going where he or she needed to go. It was just an inconvenience to this sort. 

328258192_1440009990072724_7857130880707

Edited by Calvin

4 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Earlier today at Jamaica station close to the LIRR, there was a Q44-SBS making a right turn when the signal was yellow. At that time, the Not In Service bus that was out of JFK couldn't make it through giving verbal talk to the Q44 operator. That is where NYPD is there to settle the two with the Q60 having to stop at that section because there was a bumper accident against a Ford and a taxi that's south of Sutphin Blvd close to the LIRR entrance. 

328258192_1440009990072724_7857130880707

The Not in service bus is pretty far over the line. 

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

This has been randomly going on for, I'd say the past 2 or 3 weeks - But at or around 9pm on weekdays, there's been a Flatbush bus parked at the WB B35 stop at E. 52nd st..,, Turns out that it's a SB B46 that starts at Church av.... What this is all about, I do not know.

I noticed an after 9pm short-turn bus from Avenue H to Eastern Parkway as well. I am wondering whether these are regular runs or buses being short-turned to save on overtime.

I'm not sure if this is a new idea from the MTA, but, Subway Shuttles were given route identification. The (L) Shuttle in Manhattan was L92 and in Brooklyn L90 as seen from photos and videos. Makes me wonder if there is either a (Q) suspension in Brooklyn in the future, their Shuttle bus will be a B93 but that's a thought. 

Edited by Calvin

There are at least 20 XD-40s from Jamaica up at Gun Hill Depot. Makes me wonder if they'll be used in service or being held for space that the MTA makes a decision to send them to Brooklyn borough for future assignment. Right now, Jamaica Depot cannot hold over at least 220 local buses at the depot hence the XD-40s were moved. 

27 minutes ago, Calvin said:

There are at least 20 XD-40s from Jamaica up at Gun Hill Depot. Makes me wonder if they'll be used in service or being held for space that the MTA makes a decision to send them to Brooklyn borough for future assignment. Right now, Jamaica Depot cannot hold over at least 220 local buses at the depot hence the XD-40s were moved. 

Fleet swap for the 8300s according to @RSMG106

On 2/2/2023 at 8:30 PM, B35 via Church said:

This has been randomly going on for, I'd say the past 2 or 3 weeks - But at or around 9pm on weekdays, there's been a Flatbush bus parked at the WB B35 stop at E. 52nd st..,, Turns out that it's a SB B46 that starts at Church av.... What this is all about, I do not know.

i just took a look at the entire B46 Local - School Open run board, more than likely, that's a run adjustment for lateness. there are no scheduled 46 local runs starting at church, for north or southbound service. the problem with the 46 local around them times (pm/pm rush) is that runs are only scheduled to go to the bridge or eastern pky northbound. it would help if there were scheduled trips to flushing, DeKalb or Fulton, but they'd rather have oddball adjustments or simply not adjust operators at all. with that being said, the pick just started a month ago. whatever run number that is (i wish i knew) im assuming that run is trash, and for at least 3 weeks, they haven't had to make at least one trip to the bridge 😂

On 2/3/2023 at 12:42 AM, JAzumah said:

I noticed an after 9pm short-turn bus from Avenue H to Eastern Parkway as well. I am wondering whether these are regular runs or buses being short-turned to save on overtime.

there are scheduled southbound trips from Eastern pky to Avenue H and scheduled deadheads from H to eastern pky around 9pm, however no scheduled H to eastern pky around that time. more than likely, another case of run adjustment for lateness. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry