BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Exactly, all they seem to do is cry in the public view about payroll and operating expenses, meanwhile, operating expenses and the funds used to purchase new fleet vehicles come from two completely different budgets.

Also in this economy I would imagine they would have the upper hand in terms of negotiating contracts with these vendors, but then again they generally wind up overspending somehow, someway... :lol:

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get too crazed on that as if I only ride them sometimes. I ride a ton of them in Manhattan (M20, M50, M57, M104 esp.) and the reason I don't use so many of them in Brooklyn is only because often times I just walk rather than take the local bus, but the B49 which I also use has plenty of them, along with the B2 and B31. The point isn't to have everything new. If the buses are in good condition then by all means they should stick around but those RTSs are ready for retirement. The (MTA) has neglected their duties in replacing these buses. The monies are supposed to be set aside for this, esp. when you consider how many times they've raised the fares now...

I'm just saying that from my experiences, it isn't as bad as you make it out to be and I ride the local buses everyday. And yes, there will be RTSs that will be around for several more years because there are so many of them and how there's a bunch of other local buses at MTA bus that will need to be retired like those ex-Bee O5s.

So you admit not all the older buses are bad. That was my point. There's far too many buses especially with MTA Bus that needs to be retired long before the better RTSs. So it's not about having new only. Some depots are better than others in terms of maintenance.

I don't follow what you mean with that last part. I do agree they should be getting more money to fix up the buses, but it seems it doesn't matter to you as your mind is already made up on a group of buses.

Also in this economy I would imagine they would have the upper hand in terms of negotiating contracts with these vendors, but then again they generally wind up overspending somehow, someway...

Which lies in the problem with the part about having to accept the lowest bid. They should be buying decent quality buses at the best prices even if they end up being a little more expensive upfront. Edited by Grand Concourse

I'm just saying that from my experiences, it isn't as bad as you make it out to be and I ride the local buses everyday. And yes, there will be RTSs that will be around for several more years because there are so many of them and how there's a bunch of other local buses at MTA bus that will need to be retired like those ex-Bee O5s.

So you admit not all the older buses are bad. That was my point. There's far too many buses especially with MTA Bus that needs to be retired long before the better RTSs. So it's not about having new only. Some depots are better than others in terms of maintenance.

I don't follow what you mean with that last part. I do agree they should be getting more money to fix up the buses, but it seems it doesn't matter to you as your mind is already made up on a group of buses.

Yes, maintenance is another issue and something that the (MTA) should get tougher with. You shouldn't have different standards all around... Buses should be equally maintained and CLEANED from depot to depot. I notice those express buses Ulmer Park has are rather dirty looking... They can't blame any of the SI depots for that either because those Prevosts were given to them exclusively and they haven't shipped or traded any of those Prevosts w/Yukon or Castleton... They've been slipping too... <_< Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

And the way I see it that should be improved... It costs the (MTA) more because of that imbalanced maintenance because it brings down the quality of the buses overall. That right there is why some buses need to be retired quicker... Go to the depots with the better maintenance and see what they're doing differently and get on management in the depots to get their act together because some of it is sheer laziness. All buses should be washed for example and cleaned accordingly... Tuskegee Depot comes to mind with filthy buses, including the new ones they just got. That's unacceptable.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

@Cait Sith

He doesn't. He only mentions the Xcelsiors when they are bought up in conversation by somebody else. Yes, every so often he does make a post about how much he likes Xcelsiors, but that's about it.

You seem to have forgotten the posts he went ballistic on and started shoving clips down several individual's throats including chargerdodge9 for not liking them and trying to force them to like them....

Edited by Cait Sith
Typo.

Do u know im lilgijoe17??

Harry, changed my name to xcelsiorboii4888 so it can be similar to my friend xcelsiorboii4883

You see my profle pic same...and my signature

I would have only changed it for you under the notion that you calm down a bit. :lol:

No worries XcelB88. (This is so whack)