BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never thought I'd say this about a Gillig, but I freakin' love these things at Palm Tran. They haul ass and run really great! Guess they can really work out fine at small transit operations, but I definitely still want them (and NABI) to stay out of NY/NJ.

Damn, Florida is awesome.

Well their something else. They can be nice, but riding them 24/7/365 would be a pain in the ass, likely in the literal sense as well.

How come some buses usually have the same exact engine/transmission but sound different?

Ex: 2012 MCI D4500CT and 2012 New Flyer XD60 both have Cummins ISL-9 EPA 10/Allison B500R6 Gen IV (Dont sound the same)

2011 Novabus LFS and 2011 New Flyer XD40 both have Cummins EPA 10 ISL9/Allison WB-400R Gen IV (Dont sound the same)

I dont understand this one.

•  

How come some buses usually have the same exact engine/transmission but sound different?

Ex: 2012 MCI D4500CT and 2012 New Flyer XD60 both have Cummins ISL-9 EPA 10/Allison B500R6 Gen IV (Dont sound the same)

2011 Novabus LFS and 2011 New Flyer XD40 both have Cummins EPA 10 ISL9/Allison WB-400R Gen IV (Dont sound the same)

I dont understand this one.

Because of the way they are set up, they are all set up and modified differently.

Oohh ok. So its like the placement of the engine in the bus, with certain wires attached in different locations , maybe the HVAC has something to do with it, and the axles.

Set Differently, that's why some Xcelsiors may seem faster or louder than the others. Set Differently, like the C40LF's, 360 is faster and set better than some 300's. 441 is faster and transmission slips better than the others.

I'm looking at the schedule for the Wagner College shuttle (which is kind of pointless, except on the weekends when the S66 doesn't run). Why do they have it so the bus arrives at St. George at exactly the same time as the ferry? They should reschedule it so it arrives and leaves at St. George 5 minutes earlier.

http://drupal.wagner.edu/public_safety/ferry_shuttle_service

Though I guess it doesn't take 15 minutes from St. Johns to the ferry (Because I think the S66 takes 15 minutes and it makes all the local stops), so maybe they expect that the driver will drive a little faster. But that's still cutting it pretty close.

You were 5 when you rode that bus?! How do you remember that?! LOL

Don't believe it? I posted a 14-15 year old photo recently from the 90's. Here it is in all of its glory.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/38777-1998-throwback-omnitrans-orion-v-cng-723/

I'm 16, do the math. When my sig says transit fan since 1996, I damn well mean it. :D

See people, that's proof that real bus-fans have achives of past childhood rides. I salute you, sir! :P

5098 for life, baby! ^_^

In full agreeance with you.

Due to the fact that some members (which I won't name) choose to continue to bring up the New Flyer Xcelsior, I'm now going to give my honest opinion on it that I've have ridden at least 10 of them out here in Cali.

I was going to give a 5 paragraph review, but I don't want to clog the thread. Moving on, in my opinion the Xcelsior isn't much different from the old LF/LFR offering.

The interior for the most part is the same, save for the extended windows (sightly better lighting the interior) and the window emergency hatches (which I find pointless, but whatever).

The exterior is the for the most part the same, except for the front end and some differences on the sides.

Basically the Xcelsior features all the same pros (and cons) the LF/LFR featured, so they're aren't much different.

In conclusion, I think the only reason people rave over the Xcelsior's out in NYC is because few have experience with the LF/LFR series. When you compare all three, there isn't much difference.

Ok Turbo that can be true with the three. however the reason why im soo crazy over the XD40

1. The front design.

2. The engine/transmission (oohh my god that sounds amazing, LBSS on and off)

3. The way the HVAC looks on the roof

4. The seating arrangement/types of seats. Very comfortable/roomy, lots of leg room. I love the single seats in the back. ETC.

5. The interior lighting nice and bright.

6. The pull cord, well that's for all buses. And how the stop requested buttons look.

6. Fast Fast Fast.

7. The heat/AC is perfect. And the HVAC sounds nice.

8. The way it takes bumps. Oohh!

Yeahh these are the reasons why its my number 1 bus. I don't think nothing in the future can beat it. Well to me

I don't mind that you like them, it's just that I don't find them that special. But hey, I respect your opinion.

Let me counter your points though.

Ok Turbo that can be true with the three. however the reason why im soo crazy over the XD40

1. The front design.

The front looks clunky in my opinion. I feel the LFR had it just right.

2. The engine/transmission (oohh my god that sounds amazing, LBSS on and off)

True, it has a deep bass to it.

3. The way the HVAC looks on the roof

I'm not a fan of that at all, but to each their own.

4. The seating arrangement/types of seats. Very comfortable/roomy, lots of leg room. I love the single seats in the back. ETC.

I wasn't a fan of the seats over the wheelwell or the rear corner seats. Very little legroom/headroom, but then again all New Flyers' feel like that to me.

5. The interior lighting nice and bright.

Fair enough. It compliments the interior nicely.

6. The pull cord, well that's for all buses. And how the stop requested buttons look.

You just love them cords.

6. Fast Fast Fast.

LOL!?

7. The heat/AC is perfect. And the HVAC sounds nice.

I have yet to find a bus that sounds halfway decent with the air on.

8. The way it takes bumps. Oohh!

I will testify to that.

Yeahh these are the reasons why its my number 1 bus. I don't think nothing in the future can beat it. Well to me

As I said I respect your opinion, but I do find it somewhat flawed. Nonetheless, I'm not going to attack you over your opinion.

To be honest, I understand where you are coming from. When your choices are the LFS, the 3G, or Castleton's V's which have been to hell and back, then the Xcelsior is the obvious choice.

Edited by Turbo19

I don't mind that you like them, it's just that I don't find them that special. But hey, I respect your opinion.

Let me counter your points though.

As I said I respect your opinion, but I do find it somewhat flawed. Nonetheless, I'm not going to attack you over your opinion.

To be honest, I understand where you are coming from. When your choices are the LFS, the 3G, or Castleton's V's which have been to hell and back, then the Xcelsior is the obvious choice.

yeahh and i would also go for the allison novas just because of their allison transmisssions.

The 3Gs only if i have too.Orions Vs only if i have too LOL.

I rode all the XD40s at CAS except 4899. They all have something different and i think 2/3 of them experienced broken pull cord. i also saw someone break the pull cord of 4871 the right side in the front, and tried to fix it back by tieing it LOL