BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

So 3834 is the latest to get one of the semi-repaints, honestly not sure what the system is. Bus got new paint on the nose (left off the numbers though), new paint on the doors, new paint on the rear, but the side panels are the original paint.

lol... Boy that's a serious inspection there...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Interesting.

So when you get a bus like 5242 which I see is at a vendor, what's covering that? I can't imagine there's any warranty work being doen on a bus that old, so is that something recently installed that's still covered or what? Must be some reason the work can't be done at a CMF.

^ Interesting.

So when you get a bus like 5242 which I see is at a vendor, what's covering that? I can't imagine there's any warranty work being doen on a bus that old, so is that something recently installed that's still covered or what? Must be some reason the work can't be done at a CMF.

They're there for that Q10, Not every bus that Quill has goes out on the road everyday even if they were in service. Then again it's possible, Ulmer Park is short every tuesday/wednesday. They send out every bus that can go out, if there's buses OOS the foreman approves of it and they send it out. 

They're there for that Q10, Not every bus that Quill has goes out on the road everyday even if they were in service. Then again it's possible, Ulmer Park is short every tuesday/wednesday. They send out every bus that can go out, if there's buses OOS the foreman approves of it and they send it out. 

Nah nah I meant, like what's paying for it to be at the vendor itself? You get CMF work, the MTA pays for that, while buses from the past few years are covered under warranty back at Cummins, etc. But a 14 year old bus's gotta be way past any warranty, so I'm wondering if the MTA just pays directly for some kinda specific work that can't be done at GA/Zerega, or if it's something recently installed under warranty.

On the S59 today, a guy had an error on his card. The B/O told him the card was an express bus pass, but it wasn't valid on the local buses. I told the guy that I'm 99% sure that it should've been valid, and repeated the B/Os advice to call the number on the back to clear the thing up.

I mean, it says right on the MTA's website:

Good for unlimited express bus, local bus, and subway rides until midnight, 7 days from first use.

http://mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#unlimited

What the hell? What dumbasses (the B/O moreso than the passenger). I would have walked on anyway. How the hell is that even possible.

Ha, only valid on express routes... my dick.

Edited by Turbo19

Oh ok so I guess it was that I had no idea Zerega was there it was between Yznega & Jay Pl

Yeah it's somewhere behind zerega across the water.

Nah nah I meant, like what's paying for it to be at the vendor itself? You get CMF work, the MTA pays for that, while buses from the past few years are covered under warranty back at Cummins, etc. But a 14 year old bus's gotta be way past any warranty, so I'm wondering if the MTA just pays directly for some kinda specific work that can't be done at GA/Zerega, or if it's something recently installed under warranty.

Oh, I think so. Since the warranty's up, they might just be spending money out their pockets to do some work that GA or Zerega can't do. 

So 3834 is the latest to get one of the semi-repaints, honestly not sure what the system is. Bus got new paint on the nose (left off the numbers though), new paint on the doors, new paint on the rear, but the side panels are the original paint.

Adding onto this, 3898 got a complete repaint with the white face. Looked really nice. Saw/shot it on the M35

^ Interesting.

If the engine on that bus was replaced anytime in the last 5 years, it still has a warranty on it. That's kinda how we put Detroit Diesel out of business that first time...

SMH at the idiots around today.

I was waiting at the stop, and an S44 & S89 both pulled up. I wanted the S89 (which was in the back), so I waved the S44 on, and walked back towards the S89. But the 3 idiots waiting for the express bus just stood right at the stop and watched while the B/O stopped, opened the doors, and waited, before finally pulling out. (Meanwhile, he was blocking the S89 from pulling in)

So then I get off at Walker Street, and don't see an S46/96, so I see the S44 is coming down the block, so I might as well jump on and take that and then walk further at the other end. Then at the stop I want to get off at, there's a car waiting at a light, so that the S44 can't squeeze between the parked cars and that car. So the S44 driver starts honking for the car to move a few inches forward so he can squeeze into the stop (keep in mind that there's plenty of room between him and the crosswalk), and the idiot just doesn't move. So then to top it all off, when the kids get off the bus, a bunch of them start mozeing (sp?) their way across the street, causing the bus to miss the light. I could understand if you're in a hurry, but these kids were just calmly walking across against the light, while the bus was trying to pull out.

Rode 157 back on the Q35, I gotta say these ex BLs still sound pretty well. I figured they'd be all beaten up. Also this morning I saw 3 5800 artics all parked at the area of Av N and FB av. When I got on the b41, they all drove off. I didn't get a chance to see where they went (big traffic congestion at the junction with all the construction work). So I'm going to assume probably for the B44?

(speculation warning: It's that or they were going  back to MJQ?)

If the engine on that bus was replaced anytime in the last 5 years, it still has a warranty on it. That's kinda how we put Detroit Diesel out of business that first time...

No thats not true at all. Thats so beyond false its ridiclulous. (<-- Don't care if that statement made sense.) I don't even think its worth telling you the real reason they went down and not out especially after a baseless lie like that.

C'mon now.

Some of the reasons they went down was because they cheated EPA some how back in 1999/2000. DDC, Cummins and CAT also. International was invovled somehow too but I forget the full story. Cummins is they only company that came out of it by themself with no real partnership with another company. Like DDC and Mercedes.  And a few other reasons they left the city bus market back in 2005. They were still making the S60 engines and later DD13 and others.

"we" assuming NYCMTA, was not the reason, sure their might have been a lawsuit, but it didn't cause DD to go out of business. You can't come onto a public website with lies like that and expect not to get called out. People come on here for the truth and honest facts. Lets keep it that way please! The credibility of you and this site goes down because of lies like that.

Edited by FlyerD901

Well I apologize. I was working on a quarter of a brain then. lol

Alright then. With that said, my intention was not to insult you. Sorry if you were feeling that way. Just trying to enjoy the laid back atmosphere a bit.

Again, thanks for elaborating on the Detroit Diesel situation.

SMH at this: http://straphangers.com/buscuts2010/

S67 (St. George Ferry to Richmond) Route eliminated. Partially replaced by S78. One rider didn't know of changes, thought her commute would increase by 20 mins and wasn't sure if the new S78 would get her where she needed to go because the map was out of date.

The S78 is an alternative to the S67 now? And apparently Port Richmond is now Richmond. :rolleyes:

Edited by checkmatechamp13

For the Staten Island Division, the current pick may go until the summer, so there might not be a spring pick. This isn't from my imagination either, it's from B/Os and dispathcers that work in Staten Island.

Again, this only applies to Staten Island, NOT the other boroughs. If it's confirmed, I will post it.