BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

8066 off to Cummins next to Zerega.

no its not dead, the engine might crap out on the way there

83A75AA5-DEC6-4112-A40B-3CABCEADBCB3-422

Also Indulgence:

3-7-201382121PM_zpsb0a0ea9d.jpg

Whe nQV had some REAL equipment...

Since when does MTA tow buses to Cummins? IIRC, buses are either driven to Cummins, or an outside towing company brings it over (on Cummins' dime of course).

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did they skip a number in the LFSA ordering cause i don't see a 5896?

5896 is the LFSA being used to build the rest of the Carrier HVAC NovaLFSAs. So once the last LFSA from 5895-5363 comes in...then 5896 will come in.

Same thing for 5771. That was the LFSA for the Thermo King HVAC NovaLFSAs. from 5770-5894. But now since we pasted 5894...5771 was delivered...so same thing applies for 5896.

5896 is the LFSA being used to build the rest of the Carrier HVAC NovaLFSAs. So once the last LFSA from 5895-5363 comes in...then 5896 will come in.

Same thing for 5771. That was the LFSA for the Thermo King HVAC NovaLFSAs. from 5770-5894. But now since we pasted 5894...5771 was delivered...so same thing applies for 5896.

i guess the same is happening with 4711 and 4712 though they are on the xd60 order?

i guess the same is happening with 4711 and 4712 though they are on the xd60 order?

Yupp...exactly...but i think 4711 is the one building the XD60 order...and 4712....is the XD60 for New Flyer i believe because MTA was the first to buy a new model bus produced from a manufacturer. So New Flyer is using that bus as the blueprint bus...untill MTAs order is done.

Anyway LGA CNG sightings today?

Im about to head out to look, I think alot of them are back at CP though. Yesterday when I went to the depot 9860 passed to what seemed to be going to the Q23, tho I waited at The Ditmars loop for an hour, it never returned. Also, there were two Orion V CNGs on the Q38 (9836 and something else).

Since when does MTA tow buses to Cummins? IIRC, buses are either driven to Cummins, or an outside towing company brings it over (on Cummins' dime of course).

Dunno

Foreman told me, " go look at 8066 they're towing it to Zerega Cummins."

Edited by dmouse

Speaking of GPS, something dawned on me that makes it certain that Queens and Brooklyn will be the last buses to have GPS...they want to get rid of as much end-of-life buses as much as possible, and it just so happens that Queens and Brooklyn have the most of them (1995/1996 RTS', the Ex-Bee Line Orion 5s, as well as 1305 and 1306, and some 1999 New Flyers). Staten Island has the least amount of them (their oldest buses are 1998/1999 and aren't being retired as of yet), as well as the Bronx. I do think though that whatever buses older than 1998/1999 are still around after GPS is systemwide, they'll most likely not give them GPS as it would be pointless to give it to them and they would be retiring anyway...perfect examples are the 1999 New Flyers at West Farms. 

Speaking of GPS, something dawned on me that makes it certain that Queens and Brooklyn will be the last buses to have GPS...they want to get rid of as much end-of-life buses as much as possible, and it just so happens that Queens and Brooklyn have the most of them (1995/1996 RTS', the Ex-Bee Line Orion 5s, as well as 1305 and 1306, and some 1999 New Flyers). Staten Island has the least amount of them (their oldest buses are 1998/1999 and aren't being retired as of yet), as well as the Bronx. I do think though that whatever buses older than 1998/1999 are still around after GPS is systemwide, they'll most likely not give them GPS as it would be pointless to give it to them and they would be retiring anyway...perfect examples are the 1999 New Flyers at West Farms.

I never thought of that. A lot of people were saying Manhattan will be last but they have the most new buses besides SI. And in Queens the MTA has to still get rid of all those 1990's buses and give MTA bus routes guide a rides and GPS's.

I never thought of that. A lot of people were saying Manhattan will be last but they have the most new buses besides SI. And in Queens the MTA has to still get rid of all those 1990's buses and give MTA bus routes guide a rides and GPS's.

That could be the reason why they gave the Q50 to Eastchester and removed the RTS' from the line and gave them Orion 5s because the RTS'  they had were pre-1998 models. And as for Manhattan, I'd say the number of pre-1999 buses they have make up for somewhere between 5-10% of the Manhattan Division. I don't know if they'll put GPS in the 2000 New Flyers in Manhattan but seeing there are 2000 units in the Bronx with GPS then it's a slight possibility.

That could be the reason why they gave the Q50 to Eastchester and removed the RTS' from the line and gave them Orion 5s because the RTS'  they had were pre-1998 models. And as for Manhattan, I'd say the number of pre-1999 buses they have make up for somewhere between 5-10% of the Manhattan Division. I don't know if they'll put GPS in the 2000 New Flyers in Manhattan but seeing there are 2000 units in the Bronx with GPS then it's a slight possibility.

They might give some 2000 New Flyer's to MTA bus. I wonder if BP operators need to be trained to operate the D60's again.

So are some of GH's LFSAs officially SBS buses that just haven't been wrapped or what? I was noticing 5817 now has the "Please pay before boarding" stickers all around the bus, which I gotta imagine was a conscious choice? 

Dunno, but they run all their LFSAs on the SBS. I guess it was just in case it was out there.

Had some decent luck today, rode 7607 on the B4, 9401 on the B3 (Slowest ride ever), I somehow someway found 847 on the B9 and took a ride on that, and caught 5832 on the B44 LTD, good day all around, but right as I was about to leave, 920 flies right by me on the B4 heading to Knapp street, and I said to myself today I better not see 920 on the B4 and miss it -_- but whatver it was a good day, got myself some L&B and yea a day in the life of me all accomplished from 11:03-2:25 PM today.

Finally got to ride an artic (5838) on the B44. Not a bad ride. Saw 144 and 163 on the Q35.

They really need some short turn B41s at the Junction. these school kid crowds are just insane. That or they should stop sending down so many dead heading buses and make them at least pick up some riders and make limited stops to at least av P.