BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Not necessarily Assistant/apprentice

i've been working with them, assisting them, doing misc. tasks for the foreman, they've been teaching me and showing me how to inspect the buses, fix things like a broken mirror, apply decals or use my electrical skills.Just one of the many things I do at QV other than clerical work.

So you're the guy who puts those things on lol, gonna have to import you to Mannyville to fix up a few things around there...

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not necessarily Assistant/apprentice

i've been working with them, assisting them, doing misc. tasks for the foreman, they've been teaching me and showing me how to inspect the buses, fix things like a broken mirror, apply decals or use my electrical skills.Just one of the many things I do at QV other than clerical work.

I didn't know that the apprentice program was still around, unless you are and MHB that they are making do extra stuff.

So today was my first OFFICIAL ride on an XD60 (first ride on an xcelsior period). 4756 if you guys were wondering. Everything about that bus is better than the LFSA's. The only thing I don't lime about them is the brightness of the interior lights. It kinda makes it hard to see out of the windows at night time. It's also quieter than the LFSA's, especially the newer ones.

Well I learned something interesting tonight....A lot of express buses are brought to Yonkers for maintenance, including from Eastchester and depots from Queens... 

What does Yonkers have that makes them a "cmf" for the buses?

Edited by BreeddekalbL

Well, good to see 8756 is still around.

This one q35 driver I've been getting this past week is mad strict on the fare payment thing. He called out this one guy (looked like 20s) for not putting in the full fare and telling him to put the quarter in. It kinda looked like the kid was gonna do something, but he just walked back to a seat. Still, as much as I applaud what the driver did, that is kinda risky especially since that bus doesn't have the partitions.

On the partitions, I've seen some of the 4900 RTSs with them. Same goes for the artics with the partitions.

Wednesday I got 5338 on the b44.

Edited by Grand Concourse

CMF??  :huh:

What does Yonkers have that makes them a "cmf" for the buses?

Well I learned something interesting tonight....A lot of express buses are brought to Yonkers for maintenance, including from Eastchester and depots from Queens... 

Central Maintenance Facility = CMF. And it can be 1 out of 3 things, 1.) The depot that the bus is currently in might not have parts for it. 2.) They can't do the job so they send it else where or 3.) They don't have enough bays or anything. Correct me if i'm wrong.  

Central Maintenance Facility = CMF. And it can be 1 out of 3 things, 1.) The depot that the bus is currently in might not have parts for it. 2.) They can't do the job so they send it else where or 3.) They don't have enough bays or anything. Correct me if i'm wrong.  

From what I hear it's because some of these depots don't have enough maintenance to do the job... That also makes me wonder why they would close that depot if they rely so heavily on it for the maintenance of buses from all over the city.

I said the same thing years ago when they acquired the QM10 and QM11 lol. At least CP's buses are visually better inside and out compared to Yukon's.

This is true... I've been on the QM1, QM5 and QM6 a few times going to and from Queens and can confirm this though some of their buses are rather banged up on the outside.

This is true... I've been on the QM1, QM5 and QM6 a few times going to and from Queens and can confirm this though some of their buses are rather banged up on the outside.

If they were 3200s....those got the S.I treatment early lol.

If they were 3200s....those got the S.I treatment early lol.

lol... That's true... I remember when Castleon had those too and God did they tear those buses up inside and out.... They were running the hell out of those buses on the X10... Would get one every Saturday to the city... Sure as hell beat the beat up ones they had though.

Today I wanted to take the (B41) one stop from Avenue I to Flatbush Junction.Bus was packed.Other people were there too.It happened to be that I got on while others didn't.Is it wrong to get on a bus like that since Probobaly the others were going longer distances?

Today I wanted to take the (B41) one stop from Avenue I to Flatbush Junction.Bus was packed.Other people were there too.It happened to be that I got on while others didn't.Is it wrong to get on a bus like that since Probobaly the others were going longer distances?

LMAO!! Are you sure you're a New Yorker??  :huh:

Today I wanted to take the (B41) one stop from Avenue I to Flatbush Junction.Bus was packed.Other people were there too.It happened to be that I got on while others didn't.Is it wrong to get on a bus like that since Probably the others were going longer distances?

Well, with a packed like that and the short distance, I would of walked it. But that's just me of course....

And with the traffic jam with the construction going on at the junction, I'd definitely walk. It's why I have been opting to take the b9 to b44 or q35 over the b41 heading nb more. I can't take it anymore waiting, even the b41 pulls into the b11 stop to let us off (some drivers still holds us on the bus till we get to the actual stop). Some waits can take as long as 10 min from av h to Nostrand. They should have some traffic cops on the av h intersection to keep traffic moving.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Sure I am.i want to know.what people here would do.

lol... That was a rhetorical question...  <_< Anywho, if you can get on and you don't mind a sardine can bus then get on.  Otherwise walk... I hate crowded buses... I actually had to go to the Chinese Consulate today to do a favor for a colleague... Boy was that a fiasco....  <_< My boss drove me but had to run so I caught the M42 and took that so far until it got crowded. I just got off and walked to my next connection and out walked that M42...

I'd walk it. Partly cause it's good exercise, but mainly cause I'm cheap. Only time that I've taken buses for short distances was then they dropped the fares during the blackout, I took those buses EVERYWHERE. Took an M23 for literally one block at one point, and I lost count of the number of times I hopped on the M8 just to go a few blocks. I don't get concerned about taking other people's space -- we're all paying, we can all use it. Taking a seat is a different issue...