BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the first time, I caught the (B49) Limited at the first stop which is Bedford Av and Empire Blvd and rode it all the way to KBCC. The B/O flew most of the route and we had a few standees, but the bus wasn't packed. 

Another note, B49 LTDs go non-stop after Sheepshead Bay (B)(Q) to KBCC, but the schedule doesn't show that. Otherwise, I enjoyed the ride.

B49 LTDs go non-stop after Sheepshead Bay (B)(Q) to KBCC, but the schedule doesn't show that. Otherwise, I enjoyed the ride.

We kinda have maps for that. The schedule just shows the limited take about approx. 6 minutes between Sheepshead Bay and KBCC. I used to ride the B49 LTD to school (KBCC) all the time.

Edited by Metro CSW

That's a tiny depot. I'm guessing that's a small one just for the X23/X24 then. Well there's the (MTA)Bus depot location they'd need.

On a related note, anybody ever been one one of those Van Hool coaches they use? I'm wondering if they'll be bidding (they got a week left!) on the express bus contract.

The thing is that they also have some other buses stored there for charter service (so it's not like MTA Bus where they strictly run service for regular riders/commuters). My school's right in the area, and I see them deadheading past there all the time.

So I typed in "Atlantic Express" in Google Earth, and I have this:

1) The aforementioned depot in Staten Island.

2) A school bus garage on Ralph Avenue and Ditmas Avenue, next to the Bay Ridge Line (There's actually a siding for the place next to the garage).

3) Another school bus one in Lindel Hill, on Metropolitan Avenue and Woodward Avenue, and across the toxic creek from Grand Avenue (Near Grand Avenue Depot).

4) Around the same area as 3), on 56th Drive between 58th Street and Maurice Avenue. All I see are small school buses.

5) One in Willets Point, between 34th Avenue and Northern Blvd. I see some coach buses on Earth from the above view, but primarily school buses.

6) One in Hunts Point, near Oak Point Yard and on Oak Point Avenue, for school buses.

7) One in New Jersey, near Journal Square, on Newark Avenue and Charlotte Avenue, next to PATH. Again, I see school buses only.

The thing is that they also have some other buses stored there for charter service (so it's not like MTA Bus where they strictly run service for regular riders/commuters). My school's right in the area, and I see them deadheading past there all the time.

Based on the roster posted, looks like 15 Van Hools for the X23 and X24. 

Edited by Culver

The Van Hools are 2005-06 models, if you can....

No problem.

It's done, for now anyway. I know there is a shitload of MCI's missing, as well as the few that are up there are lacking info. Maybe in the future I'll get around to adding some general info like depots and fleets but it suffices enough.

Also, if anyone finds the wiki awkward to read because the way retired and active fleets are grouped together, I do as well. Don't know why pages are like this (other than keeping unit numbers consecutive) but it'll do for now.

What a day so far. I got some a.m. school tripper action in before work this morning. Caught 6055 on the S74/56 school tripper at the Eltingville Transit Center (runs along the S74 to Woodrow Road and Rossville Avenue, then along the S56 to Tottenville High School) and then caught 6330 on the S55 to Wendy Drive. Heading to my evening job, I caught 920 on the B16 (the 3:50 school tripper out of Fort Hamilton High School) at Fourth Avenue and 86th Street, and rode it to 36th Street. Then I caught 847 on the regular B16 at 12th Avenue and 36th Street and rode it to Prospect Park. THEN I caught 868 on the B43 and rode it to Nostrand Avenue and headed to work. All in all, a good day so far, especially with the three 1999/2000 New Flyer C40LFs in a row.

…I work with some real comedians

Lmao

LMAO... I remember one fan here in Toronto etched out a message similar to that during an open doors event at a garage, and everyone accused him of 'vandalism' and 'giving the rest of transit enthusiasts a bad name'.

You think that's bad?

IMG_1735_zps749a1034.jpg

Ah, got it.

5113 is an absolute monster, anybody ridden that recently? My op on the B1 was racing with that thing, fastest RTS I've ever taken by far. Also, talk about the MTA losing money, I just got off a midday x27 that was exactly on schedule with there only two people on that brand new Prevost--and one of them was me. Not a good model.