BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I'm a little dissapointed we've been getting #317 every day. Don't get me wrong the D4000's are much better than the D4500's, but I was kind of hoping to film that suburban Gillig once, but it looks like that's not going to happen.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I finally got a chance to ride the XD60s today. Rode 4739 on the Bx2 and then 4723 and 4714 on the Bx9. How was the ride? In my opinion it was okay, but it was no different than riding their rigid 40' counterparts. Otherwise, I rode them, and now I could care less about them.

Other than that, I had a good day today. Rode the S76 with a friend of mine and then headed to the Bronx afterwards. After that I went to Queens and caught 9892 on the Q34 from Flushing to Jamaica and then took the Q60 to Queens Plaza and went home after that.

Whats going to push out SC Orions ... 

Seeing their done getting their share of C40s and they still do have Orions on the 100&103 ...

Well since WF is apparently supposed to lose a route or two to MCH, the spare 30 or so old CNG buses (Orion or NFI) throughout the system would then not be needed by the end of the year after a handful of roster moves.

Or so it seems, based on posts on here by many people. Makes sense, since there's no point buying more buses for routes that won't need CNG buses; just let the extra spares retire.

Edited by Culver

Well since WF is apparently supposed to lose a route or two to MCH, the spare 30 or so old CNG buses (Orion or NFI) throughout the system would then not be needed by the end of the year after a handful of roster moves.

Or so it seems, based on posts on here by many people. Makes sense, since there's no point buying more buses for routes that won't need CNG buses; just let the extra spares retire.

I'm not understanding what moving one route to another depot has to do with getting rid of spare buses?  Why not just get rid of them now if they don't need them?

They finally put a bench at the westbound Q12/N20/N21 bus stop at Northern Blvd & Douglaston Pkwy. I don't think its an (MTA) or a DOT bench though, because it looks different. There's still no bus shelter either.

look on the side,does it say "City Bench"?One of those is at the Cobble Hill-bound B63 stop at Prospect and 5 Avenues

So I did look at the bench yesterday and it is a Citybench. Seems to be part of this program:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/sidewalks/citybench.shtml

I'm not understanding what moving one route to another depot has to do with getting rid of spare buses?  Why not just get rid of them now if they don't need them?

It depends on the depot the bus route is being sent to, in the case of the depot having a CNG facility or the ability to support hybrids. If you send a bus route to a depot that once belonged to a CNG garage to one without a CNG garage, you can get rid of some older CNG buses...send a bus route to a depot with a CNG facility, provided there are enough buses to support that move, then you can get rid of older diesel buses.

I wasn't aware there was an X10B.

That runs rush hours only along West Street and doesn't run make stops along the Narrows Road service road.

They still need them until the remaining new C40LFs come in and MCH opens to take a few routes from WF. Once all that happens, they won't need the 20-30 spare old C40LFs and/or Orion V CNGs and they can be retired.

I wasn't aware there was an X10B.

Yeah that's because on the bus schedule they just say "X10" on the cover.  They've just recently started putting up the signage on the express buses to distinguish X10s.  On the schedule itself they do distinguish X10B and X10C runs.

It depends on the depot the bus route is being sent to, in the case of the depot having a CNG facility or the ability to support hybrids. If you send a bus route to a depot that once belonged to a CNG garage to one without a CNG garage, you can get rid of some older CNG buses...send a bus route to a depot with a CNG facility, provided there are enough buses to support that move, then you can get rid of older diesel buses.

Right but if they're going to get rid of them later on what's the difference whether it's now or later?? I get all of the other stuff... 

They still need them until the remaining new C40LFs come in and MCH opens to take a few routes from WF. Once all that happens, they won't need the 20-30 spare old C40LFs and/or Orion V CNGs and they can be retired.

Ohhh.... Now I understand... That makes sense.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I feel like a lot of the route shifting recently is to try and find buses that don't really exist. They're retiring buses too fast and finding themselves short, so they move routes around trying to make things better, but it's not working...

Edited by Threxx

I found a way to get from NYC to Hartford entirely by local bus. (Keep in mind that some of these only run weekdays, or weekdays & Saturdays)

Take the BL-61 to Port Chester, take the #11 to Stamford, take the #41 to Norwalk, take the Coastal Link to the CT Post Shopping Center, take the O2 or 55X to New Haven.

If it's rush hour, you can take an express bus (#20) to Hartford. If not, you have to take the "C" to Meriden, and then you have two options:

Either "AR" to New Britain for #41 to Hartford, or "M" to Middletown for #55 to Hartford.

To get to Bristol, you can take the "PB" from New Britain, or the "C" to the "BL".

Of course, there's other alternatives that are much quicker, but if anybody wants to do it for the sake of saying they got up there without Metro-North/Amtrak/Greyhound/Coach USA/whatever, well, here's how.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

I found a way to get from NYC to Hartford entirely by local bus. (Keep in mind that some of these only run weekdays, or weekdays & Saturdays)

Take the BL-61 to Port Chester, take the #11 to Stamford, take the #41 to Norwalk, take the Coastal Link to the CT Post Shopping Center, take the O2 or 55X to New Haven.

If it's rush hour, you can take an express bus (#20) to Hartford. If not, you have to take the "C" to Meriden, and then you have two options:

Either "AR" to New Britain for #41 to Hartford, or "M" to Middletown for #55 to Hartford.

To get to Bristol, you can take the "PB" from New Britain, or the "C" to the "BL".

Of course, there's other alternatives that are much quicker, but if anybody wants to do it for the sake of saying they got up there without Metro-North/Amtrak/Greyhound/Coach USA/whatever, well, here's how.

You tell me that 8 months late....lol.....

Of course, there's other alternatives that are much quicker, but if anybody wants to do it for the sake of saying they got up there without Metro-North/Amtrak/Greyhound/Coach USA/whatever, well, here's how.

Yeah, I believe you told me about this via PM a while back.... For me, it's the part past NH that's the deterrent...

Done the 61-11-41-CL-O2 about a handful of times or so... The worst part is getting onto the stamford #11 (crowds), the best part is the interlining of the stamford 11/41 @ the transcenter, as well as the ride on the coastal link from end to end itself.... Ride on the O2 is kinda boring though... lol....