BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I found a way to get from NYC to Hartford entirely by local bus. (Keep in mind that some of these only run weekdays, or weekdays & Saturdays)

Take the BL-61 to Port Chester, take the #11 to Stamford, take the #41 to Norwalk, take the Coastal Link to the CT Post Shopping Center, take the O2 or 55X to New Haven.

If it's rush hour, you can take an express bus (#20) to Hartford. If not, you have to take the "C" to Meriden, and then you have two options:

Either "AR" to New Britain for #41 to Hartford, or "M" to Middletown for #55 to Hartford.

To get to Bristol, you can take the "PB" from New Britain, or the "C" to the "BL".

Of course, there's other alternatives that are much quicker, but if anybody wants to do it for the sake of saying they got up there without Metro-North/Amtrak/Greyhound/Coach USA/whatever, well, here's how.

Yeah, I believe you told me about this via PM a while back.... For me, it's the part past NH that's the deterrent...

Done the 61-11-41-CL-O2 about a handful of times or so... The worst part is getting onto the stamford #11 (crowds), the best part is the interlining of the stamford 11/41 @ the transcenter, as well as the ride on the coastal link from end to end itself.... Ride on the O2 is kinda boring though... lol....

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what's the difference between an Orion VII NG and an OG and to the b/o's on here if you get qualified on one are you qualified on the other or vice versa?

Other than the NGs having a regen switch while the OGs don't, and the radio being in a different spot (NGs up above the driver side window, OGs on the dashboard), its literally the same thing between the two

Other than the NGs having a regen switch while the OGs don't, and the radio being in a different spot (NGs up above the driver side window, OGs on the dashboard), its literally the same thing between the two

so they are qualified on both? if they train on one or the other?

Ok I spent 4 days in Brooklyn and here were some highlights: To my shock two days ago, I spotted two Orion 5 CNG's on the B100, I knew they would be on the B103 but when I was walking from the B82 (Rode 6828 LCL) to the Plaza, I was shocked to see 9839 rocket into the stop heading to Mill Basin (Pics to come later) and I believe 9832 was on that line also, I couldnt make out the last 2 #'s of that second bus but I think it was 9832 so that was a nice surprise, and also that day the B9 had 4 1999/2000 C40LF's 878, 881, 903, and 923. I also rode 141 on the Q35 (First ride on a Bee Line Orion 5), I rode 902, 923, 983, and 847 on the B4 and B9 so I got lucky with the Old C40lf's. Also I got to ride some decent ENY RTS's on the B82 (8997, 8975, and 8995), couple that with a couple powerful ZF RTS's (5114/5102/5088) and a NovaBus LFSA (5339 on the B44 LTD) and my trip was successful. I also made it to the American Veterans Memorial Pier at Shore Road and Bay Ridge Avenue, AMAZING photo Ops there, take full advantage of it.

If you're trained on one, you're basically trained on both

What about the 7000s, I heard drivers were trained on them even though they drove NGs...I'd be surprised if they had to because other than the 7000s being diesel, everything in the drivers' area looks the same.

Coming soon...

8599561108_66b0dd0770.jpg

IMAG0667 by souL_on_1ce, on

8599561162_eb28ea78c7.jpg

IMAG0670 by souL_on_1ce, on Flickr

What's going on with this bus?

So, I caught #9918 on the Q69. I went all the way out to the Queens Mall and saw no CNGs, but I did see a Bee on the Q52 for the first time. I checked the Q72, nothing. Then I went to 30th Avenue to buy some bread, and what do you know, #9899 and #9880 were both on the Q18, #9899 heading to Grand and #9880 heading to Astoria Houses.

So, I caught #9918 on the Q69. I went all the way out to the Queens Mall and saw no CNGs, but I did see a Bee on the Q52 for the first time. I checked the Q72, nothing. Then I went to 30th Avenue to buy some bread, and what do you know, #9899 and #9880 were both on the Q18, #9899 heading to Grand and #9880 heading to Astoria Houses.

9880 was parked in LIC in the morning before 9918 ran. I thought that's what pulled up on the 69 since I didn't see the number at first.

I saw 4843 and 4838 today and man are those buses looking worn. Both have peeling paint from the left side skirt.

Yea especially 4838 I ran into that bus Wednesday on the 82 LTD, I saw a couple other XD40's on the 82 in bad shape forgot the #'s but a couple looked good like 4820 and 4823 but thats about all.

arent LGA's RTS more than 20 years old already? thats what one of the drivers there said.

and now LGA is getting more of them http://65.99.204.196/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/tongue.png.

btw I spotted 8009 at LGA, I dunno if thats a new arrival or not. Also all the buses now have the new "plane" signage for the Q72. Only the Ex-Bee's don't have them.

LGA's RTS's are approximately 16-17 years old.

Soon, none of the buses will have Regen switches. Too many drivers forgetting to turn them back on when they leave the depot causing road-calls/break downs.

Other way around...the front of 5658 and the rear of 5658...

because 5656 accident was involved with the front half...and thw Scaffolding fell on the back half of 5658

Interesting. So what will the bus be called, 5656 or 5658....

I think it's safe to say the the XD40's are gonna be what replaces the RTS and the Orion V in the future. They putting together the official policy instruction for hook up training for the XD40/60 right now...

Makes me wonder who's next to get Xcelsiors. Although I have my doubts that MTA Bus would get any.