BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Random Thought:

Why are the three X17 "branches", which share as much with each other as any other random SI express route, considered branches of the X17 service? There's three, and all quite different (that X17C weekend route is a doozy). By the logic used in naming them, the Hylan routes should all be labeled X1# (X1A, X1B...) and same for the Father Capodanno routes.

Random Thought:

Why are the three X17 "branches", which share as much with each other as any other random SI express route, considered branches of the X17 service? There's three, and all quite different (that X17C weekend route is a doozy). By the logic used in naming them, the Hylan routes should all be labeled X1# (X1A, X1B...) and same for the Father Capodanno routes.

Think of it this way: The BM buses don't have seperate designations for the Downtown/Midtown branches. During rush hour, it's seperate X17 branches to Downtown & Midtown, while off-peak, it's on one route. It's not like on Hylan, where you have buses serving East Midtown, West Midtown, and different parts of Downtown.

Though I agree it's confusing, with the extension to Tottenville, and the fact that the X17A doesn't go to Huguenot (because that's covered by the X19). Not to mention the Brooklyn stop on the weekends.

Random Thought:

I'm sure you know about the variants.

x17A - Annadale Road/Arthur Kill Road - Downtown-Worth Street & Vice-Versa(the shorter variants of the x17C and x17J, the x19 is considered to be the downtown x17C/J except it bypasses Eltingville Tranit Center)

x17/x17C - Arden Heights - East Midtown-57th Street and Vice-Versa. The C designation was removed for the most part because its designation was useless.

x17J - Arden Heights - East Midtown-57th Street via New Jersey/Drumgoole & Vice-Versa

They are there to serve the three major areas in Manhattan during the rush hour. They are also there to specify what branches they are and where they go/serve, but I'm sure you know that too.

I can't see that working for the Hylan Blvd routes, you have New Dorp routes and routes that use Father Capodanno. It would probably work for the x1 since it has a 23rd and Central Park South branch, but there are also differences.

The x8 is the Downtown variant of the x7.

The x3 is the Downtown variant of the x2 and x9

The x4 is the Downtown variant of the x5

The reasons the routes are labeled the way they are is to differentiate the destinations and areas they go through, they also serve two entirely different areas in Manhattan, but I'm sure you know that too.

Relabeling them to x1A, B , C , D, ect ect ect would be even more confusing than it is now. This is a more simplified way of sorting the routes apart.

Edited by Cait Sith

for the drivers who operate the xd40 is it in it's own that you need to qualify for it or is it another once you train on this you are also qualified on that.

I can't speak for the ops but if I understand your question correctly, it depends on what the commonality is. For example, if you were trained on the old C40s, you only got trained on the differences on the new C40. (Which was the wheelchair power using a switch and not a key) I'm pretty sure the same applies to the LFS/LFSAs and the XD40/XD60 (of course, provided that you are trained to operate an artic) Same with the MCIs and OG/NGs/3Gs, just learn where the new switches are.

Again, just speaking the official word, just from my knowledge

x17A - Annadale Road/Arthur Kill Road - Downtown-Worth Street & Vice-Versa(the shorter variants of the x17C and x17J, the x19 is considered to be the downtown x17C/J except it bypasses Eltingville Tranit Center)

x17/x17C - Arden Heights - East Midtown-57th Street and Vice-Versa. The C designation was removed for the most part because its designation was useless.

x17J - Arden Heights - East Midtown-57th Street via New Jersey/Drumgoole & Vice-Versa

They are there to serve the three major areas in Manhattan during the rush hour. They are also there to specify what branches they are and where they go/serve, but I'm sure you know that too.

The reasons the routes are labeled the way they are is to differentiate the destinations and areas they go through, they also serve two entirely different areas in Manhattan, but I'm sure you know that too.

I'm aware of all of that, yes, as I mention in my post. Usually, services that are totally different are differentiated by having different route numbers, hence my question as to why three completely different routes are labeled the way they are.

Edited by Culver

I can't speak for the ops but if I understand your question correctly, it depends on what the commonality is. For example, if you were trained on the old C40s, you only got trained on the differences on the new C40. (Which was the wheelchair power using a switch and not a key) I'm pretty sure the same applies to the LFS/LFSAs and the XD40/XD60 (of course, provided that you are trained to operate an artic) Same with the MCIs and OG/NGs/3Gs, just learn where the new switches are.

Again, just speaking the official word, just from my knowledge

Yes you were right, it was basically if you were trained on this were you also trained on that.

Well I guess it is old news about 4899 in service. But I caught it by chance on the B6 on the weekend. I only knew it was 4899 when I saw the placement of the rear sign.

Past few weeks I have been noticing the ex bees on the q35. I guess from the roster fr now has a handful of them. IMO the q35 should be mainly diesel since the hybrids don't see much stop and go traffic till it hits north of av I.

Last night while waiting for the BxM2, I saw two M104's pass using 38XX's that came over from the M34 completely "naked" as MVH would say... :lol:  (3812 and 3804 IIRC).  Looked pretty fresh too, only because they've been unwrapped, so that pretty much confirms that they will indeed be using just artics on the M34 no matter how late at night it is unless they're short I suppose...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Guest MTA Bus

That's your video, right?

It's so good that at least someone caught it. I tried twice, standing at Astoria Houses for an hour, but nothing popped up.

Yep, that's my video

X1: 4300. AC was ass on that bus.

BM3: 3155. Rear axles were shit, way too slow rebound, felt like rear was taking off on some bumps. Also made a tire-dragging sound occasionally. Transit workers on here clarify what that was? Not used to hearing the sound.

Also, on the BM3, that schedule means nothing. I'm at the stop in time to catch the 3:35 to BK (I'm there at 3:30) and a bus doesn't show up till 3:43, which is then not a midtown express but a midtown/downtown run. How do the drivers leave that damn early?

Also, on the BM3, that schedule means nothing. I'm at the stop in time to catch the 3:35 to BK (I'm there at 3:30) and a bus doesn't show up till 3:43, which is then not a midtown express but a midtown/downtown run. How do the drivers leave that damn early?

Simple... No supervision... With the BM lines some of them are either way too early or way too late.  Some of them complain about a lack of runs when they contribute to the problem because riders will not continue to keep using a bus that comes whenever it wants to. On Saturdays there was a guy who would constantly show up a good 30 minutes late.  Meanwhile all of the other BM express buses would come on time and they all use the same route so explain why he was constantly so late...  <_<

That was one reason that I was hoping that Brooklyn would get Bus Time next...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Guest MTA Bus

I think the Orion V CNGs are stalking me now. I saw 9918 on the Q66, 9905 on the Q103 and 9871 on the Q25 yesterday and today, I saw 9849 on the Q67, 9899 on the Q100, and I just rode 9891 on the Q69.

BM3: 3155. Rear axles were shit, way too slow rebound, felt like rear was taking off on some bumps. Also made a tire-dragging sound occasionally. Transit workers on here clarify what that was? Not used to hearing the sound.

If it sounds like a dolphin call, probably a worn-out fan belt.

I can't see that working for the Hylan Blvd routes, you have New Dorp routes and routes that use Father Capodanno. It would probably work for the x1 since it has a 23rd and Central Park South branch, but there are also differences.

The x8 is the Downtown variant of the x7.

The x3 is the Downtown variant of the x2 and x9

The x4 is the Downtown variant of the x5

Relabeling them to x1A, B , C , D, ect ect ect would be even more confusing than it is now. This is a more simplified way of sorting the routes apart.

Believe it or not, in the 1990s the X17J used to the the X17B as it operated via West Street to "bypass" Lower Manhattan. In the early 2000s they rerouted the X17B to New Jersey, and called it X17J.

Heard that before, this was a deeper sound. I guess like a muffled dolphin through a pillow. That being said, I'd guess you're right on that.

Ironically, of all the buses that make that screeching sound when accelerating, the MCI is the only one that actually has belt driven fans. But that sound is not the fan belt. It's usually the A/C compressor belt.

quick question like what routes are considered "senior routes" for the senior drivers?

Crosstown routes, or any relatively short route that won't keep the driver in the seat for too long. The nicer neighborhoods also usually go to the senior drivers

If he was scheduled for 3:35, doesn't that mean he's late? As for being a Midtown/Downtown run, maybe there was a Downtown run that they couldn't fill, so they had the Midtown driver cover it. (So I guess people along Church Street were SOL if that was the case)

Believe it or not, in the 1990s the X17J used to the the X17B as it operated via West Street to "bypass" Lower Manhattan. In the early 2000s they rerouted the X17B to New Jersey, and called it X17J.

There was also a time when it operated via the FDR (It would be AM via NJ, PM via 23rd & FDR)

On a side note, I went up to CCNY yesterday. I think this was my first time walking through Harlem. (I went to a college fair there before, but they had a bus for us). The trip wasn't as long as I expected. I think we left around 8:15PM, and got home around 9:45PM. (We took a shuttle bus to the (D) to the (Q) to the (6) to the (4) to the X17C, because my mom didn't want to take the (1) and make it easier) It's kind of stupid that they have 2 shuttle buses to the (A)(B)(C)(D) (one for 145th, one for 125th), but nothing for the (1) at 137th.