BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

And they got a new maintenance supervisor after they got the 2200s, he did turn things around.

You know... LOL! (I have to laugh because you just reminded me of something I had forgotten)... I have to confess that you're right!! God, you just reminded me of how bad it used to be... It was really horrible back in the mid 2000s and yes management really just didn't care and then as you said new folks came in and improved the situation (I recall this specifically because I had a B/O on the X14 that used to do the S48 back in the day and I commented about how bad the S48 used to be when I would get him with trash all over the place and we both chuckled and he mentioned that new management had come in and improved things a bit), but I still think that they're being given more credit than they should be because shortly after those guys came that's when Castleton started to get access to newer fleet (i.e. borrowed MCI's from Spring Creek). I will admit that the buses were a bit cleaner once those guys came in but I do question if they would've been as clean and as maintained had they not received the newer fleet.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just glad SI as a whole is doing ok. I'd rather they not keep sending buses over to the other boroughs in a rotation because they can't fix up their own buses. Mid 2000s they would take RTSs and Orions and practically 'trash them' and send them back for more buses while those 'trashed' ones had to be fixed up by the depots unfortunate to get them.

Otoh, it does seem unfair that they get the newest buses only to keep displacing them when a new group comes in. 3800s to Manhattan (to get the lead acid battery ones), then the 3900s to FP (when the 90 bus test fleet came)....

Edited by Grand Concourse

I wouldn't say that since Yukon has been sending MCIs to Castleton and Charleston for work as of late :lol:

LMAO...at least Yukon's Orion 5s are in good hands. Everything else (except for the Prevosts) I could really care less about.

Drifting off, I heard that 4899 (the bus with the school bus engine, forgot what the hell it's called) went back to the vendor due to engine problems. So that makes how many Xcelshits been recalled?

I swear, the XD40s suck...people all hype over them all because of looks. The looks of the bus isn't that appealing to me at all. And if the bus model was as great as people proclaim them to be, then they wouldn't constantly be in and out of service, going back and forth to the vendor. So yeah, Xcelsior fans, looks like your favorite buses aren't "Xcelling" very well !!!

/rant

Edited by LRG

They sent 4899 back to the Vendor yesterday after service in the morning.

LMAO...at least Yukon's Orion 5s are in good hands. Everything else (except for the Prevosts) I could really care less about.

Drifting off, I heard that 4899 (the bus with the school bus engine, forgot what the hell it's called) went back to the vendor due to engine problems. So that makes how many Xcelshits been recalled?

I swear, the XD40s suck...people all hype over them all because of looks. The looks of the bus isn't that appealing to me at all. And if the bus model was as great as people proclaim them to be, then they wouldn't constantly be in and out of service, going back and forth to the vendor. So yeah, Xcelsior fans, looks like your favorite buses aren't "Xcelling" very well !!!

/rant

It doesn't have a school bus engine that's a truck engine. It's a Navistar Maxx Force 9 engine. It didn't have engine problems, I heard they just had to fix some things on the transmission. I know that last Saturday day before the pick ended, they held all xcelsiors they weren't to go out. They held them all out back and the mobile vendor came over to fix them. I think this LBSS is killing them, seems like they're having more trouble with the XD's more than the LFS.

It doesn't have a school bus engine that's a truck engine. It's a Navistar Maxx Force 9 engine. It didn't have engine problems, I heard they just had to fix some things on the transmission. I know that last Saturday day before the pick ended, they held all xcelsiors they weren't to go out. They held them all out back and the mobile vendor came over to fix them. I think this LBSS is killing them, seems like they're having more trouble with the XD's more than the LFS.

Wow...so if the LBSS is killing them...then they need to deactivate it on all the buses

Wow...so if the LBSS is killing them...then they need to deactivate it on all the buses

Your right, this is what im saying too but they will learn their lesson when these bring out more problems. I don't mind them but they're making them slow.

I don't think it even has anything to do with LBSS, it's the buses themselves, otherwise the 15 Novas that have Allison transmissions in them would be OOS for the same reason.

If a bus going to the vendor after one or two weeks after being in service is normal, then fine. But the buses constantly being taken OOS is not normal, not to mention we've had them for over a year now.

I don't think it even has anything to do with LBSS, it's the buses themselves, otherwise the 15 Novas that have Allison transmissions in them would be OOS for the same reason.

If a bus going to the vendor after one or two weeks after being in service is normal, then fine. But the buses constantly being taken OOS is not normal, not to mention we've had them for over a year now.

Yeah your right, ever since Quill has had those XD's they haven't been to the vendor yet (I don't think).

Did that specific XD40 get looked at? If you know what i mean

Uhh, 4899? I think so, they should just leave LBSS off on all of them.

Honestly I don't think it has anything to do with the depot assignment of the buses, although I find it funny that Ulmer Park had ample trouble with the XDs at Castleton when they finally got their 29 in January. I never really experienced much trouble with the XDs myself except for an incident back in September when two XDs were taken OOS at Bay Ridge on the S53 due to foam coming from the passenger side of the bus in the back, meaning there was a half an hour gap in bus service.

The piss-poor reliability of the XD-40s suggests to me that maybe the (MTA) should just get the LFS with the newer rear seating arrangement.

Well, the 5300s have the new seating configuration anyway, so I guess new 40' buses should the MTA order any (keeps fingers crossed), they'll just have the new seating config.

And before anyone complains about the seating issue, because I've been reading up on loss of seats due to the seats facing the aisle, there are NO loss of seats. The seat that once faced backwards not faces the aisles, that is it. There is absolutely NO loss of seats with the new seating config.

And although I'm not a fan of ZF, if it means no LBSS then fine (although they can always turn LBSS off on the Allison units, which is doubtful).

It's also a school bus engine. There are several school buses that have Maxx Force 7s and 9s in them.

LBSS is not doing a damn thing to the buses. I don't know why folks are putting the blame on LBSS. The Allison LBSS is not like a Boa Constrictor...it works just a bit differently than it does in Performance Mode, it doesn't choke or "kill" the buses....

Just because most of ya'll are obsessed with the sounds doesn't mean that's a big problem.....you kids gotta do your research on what the Allison Load Based Shift Scheduling really is about....for the know-it-all kiddies....click here

Just an FYI, even trucks like Peterbilts and Kenworths have the LBSS tech working for them.

All I'm saying is, get your facts straight!

LRG is right, if LBSS was that big of a problem, most of our newer Allison Fleet would have a shit ton of issues. The LFSs are doing fine and so far, the XD60s are doing fine. Those XD40s have had problems up the wazoo since they arrived here. It's no surprise that 4899 had a vendor trip because its a bus spec'd differently from the other 89, so adjustments may have to be made to the bus. I don't see whats the big deal...

What's funny to me is that the ENY fleet of XD40s have not had their share of big problems yet.

If they don't want trouble with the LBSS they can get XDs with ZF Ecolife.

Don't say that....you'll awaken an angry mob of anti-ZF Ecolife busfans :-X

LBSS can stay on those buses. The gear ratios just need to be programmed better. I rode on a few MCIs (not ours) and some ran great with LBSS enabled. It just takes the right program to get the full use out of it.

Thank you!

Edited by Cait Sith

It's also a school bus engine. There are several school buses that have Maxx Force 7s and 9s in them.

LBSS is not doing a damn thing to the buses. I don't know why folks are putting the blame on LBSS. The Allison LBSS is not like a Boa Constrictor...it works just a bit differently than it does in Performance Mode, it doesn't choke or "kill" the buses....

Just because most of ya'll are obsessed with the sounds doesn't mean that's a big problem.....you kids gotta do your research on what the Allison Load Based Shift Scheduling really is about....for the know-it-all kiddies....click here

Just an FYI, even trucks like Peterbilts and Kenworths have the LBSS tech working for them.

All I'm saying is, get your facts straight!

LRG is right, if LBSS was that big of a problem, most of our newer Allison Fleet would have a shit ton of issues. The LFSs are doing fine and so far, the XD60s are doing fine. Those XD40s have had problems up the wazoo since they arrived here. It's no surprise that 4899 had a vendor trip because its a bus spec'd differently from the other 89, so adjustments may have to be made to the bus. I don't see whats the big deal...

What's funny to me is that the ENY fleet of XD40s have not had their share of big problems yet.

Don't say that....you'll awaken an angry mob of anti-ZF Ecolife busfans :-X

Thank you!

Oh I thought it was just the 7's that were bus engines I thought the 9's were for the trucks. I don't mind LBSS it's just the matter of how they set it on these that's all. I found out the prevosts have LBSS too but if you hit the mode button it gives you more power. On the XD's it doesn't work with that. I don't care about the sounds, they sound good & ride good that way.