BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe he is of a vertically challenged nature...

I sure as hell am. Not blessed with much height, sadly. And yet even I still wish the seats were a bit taller. The shape is nicer than the ones on the older MCIs. And ride in general is much, much nicer. They also seem to accelerate better, though I doubt there is any actual measurable difference b/w them and the 2012 D4500CTs in terms of acceleration.

I sure as hell am. Not blessed with much height, sadly. And yet even I still wish the seats were a bit taller. The shape is nicer than the ones on the older MCIs. And ride in general is much, much nicer. They also seem to accelerate better, though I doubt there is any actual measurable difference b/w them and the 2012 D4500CTs in terms of acceleration.

I'm also short and I also feel the same way. Its one reason why I shoot for the rear row with the extra step just to get that balance.

I'm confused with the way the buses run in Kingsbridge. Which ones run on 230th Street and which ones run on 231st Street? Let's see if I got this right:

* Express buses run on 230th Street in both directions.

* Bx1 & Bx10 run on 231st in both directions

* Bx7/20 run on 231st westbound, and eastbound, they take 231st to Kingsbridge Avenue to 230th to Broadway.

I'm confused with the way the buses run in Kingsbridge. Which ones run on 230th Street and which ones run on 231st Street? Let's see if I got this right:

* Express buses run on 230th Street in both directions.

* Bx1 & Bx10 run on 231st in both directions

* Bx7/20 run on 231st westbound, and eastbound, they take 231st to Kingsbridge Avenue to 230th to Broadway.

That's right

I learned something interesting last night chatting with a B/O I know... They can indeed see the type of card that you have... In other words when you dip the card, they can tell if it's an Express Bus Plus card, a regular weekly or monthly Unlimited Card or a pay-per-ride card...

Isn't that why they have different colors and sounds? I remember seeing this board, on the back of the operator, with the metrocard type, and whenever a card was swiped, the board would light up the indicated metrocard. I remember that there were about 4 or 6 different types. However, I haven't bothered to look if they're still around.

Isn't that why they have different colors and sounds? I remember seeing this board, on the back of the operator, with the metrocard type, and whenever a card was swiped, the board would light up the indicated metrocard. I remember that there were about 4 or 6 different types. However, I haven't bothered to look if they're still around.

i heard they pulled the boards off the buses

Why? It was so fun looking at what card was being swiped!

Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing those anymore, so they must've pulled them.  You do still hear the sound however indicating the different types of Metrocards used, but the fareboxes must've been updated, esp. with you now being able to refill your unlimited Metrocards.  The one thing I wish I could do is put more than one refill on my Metrocard, this way I could refill for a month and be done with it and if there's a problem with the card, the token booth clerk should be able to simply put my time onto a fresh Metrocard.

I wonder what was up with that S59 driver today. I got on at Harrison Avenue to go northbound, and he asks "Where are you going?", and I tell him I'm just going a couple of blocks to the library. I use my transfer from the S46, and when I ring the bell to get off, the guy's staring at me the whole time. And then he's talking to this one other kid (all of the buses that terminate by Richmond Terrace & Park Avenue tend to empty out at Harrison, so it was just me and the other kid), and he's saying "Oh, those kids are smart, sneaking in through the back" or something, like he's mad at the kid, but he's grinning. :wacko:

I'd also like to add that I think it's stupid the way they have the schedules set up at Richmond & Monsey. They have the schedules for the X10/12/42 and S44/94, but don't have anything for the S59/89, because they used seperate panels for the X12/42.

I'd put the X12 & X42 on the same panel (and just put a note at the bottom to show that it bypasses Downtown), and then use that remaining panel for the S59/89.