BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As others said, it doesn't run often and most of the time it sits parked. Why take a perfectly 'newish' bus just for a MC bus? You think the MTa is just going to change it because you think it's 'filthy'?

lol... Um many communities have cried out to the (MTA) about buses that pollute their neighborhoods and that's one reason why we have so many electric hybrid buses.  And yes, those buses are filthy.  They're an eyesore and they're no good for the general public, and certainly not conducive to serving seniors, who are the ones that use them mainly for refilling MetroCards.  If they took the bus out of service, it should've been junked and scrapped.  Get a hybrid bus with low floors and a fresh looking design and they perhaps could serve more people. 

lol... Um many communities have cried out to the (MTA) about buses that pollute their neighborhoods and that's one reason why we have so many electric hybrid buses. And yes, those buses are filthy. They're an eyesore and they're no good for the general public, and certainly not conducive to serving seniors, who are the ones that use them mainly for refilling MetroCards. If they took the bus out of service, it should've been junked and scrapped. Get a hybrid bus with low floors and a fresh looking design and they perhaps could serve more people.

That's just a ridiculous waste of money for a bus that's more a press gimmick than anything. Not to mention, that bus (8319) was repowered long ago with a DD50 so there's no black smoke there, just as clean as your average D60HF, and prolly better mileage considering its low speed usage than a hybrid.

That's just a ridiculous waste of money for a bus that's more a press gimmick than anything. Not to mention, that bus (8319) was repowered long ago with a DD50 so there's no black smoke there, just as clean as your average D60HF, and prolly better mileage considering its low speed usage than a hybrid.

Oh please... Those D60HF's were pretty dirty too... We're pushing for cleaner Hudson Rail Link buses too here because the current buses are small and pollute the environment too much. 

It's a lost cause. Anything old is 'dirty' to him. And not to mention that MC bus's engine isn't left running and parked when it is open for customers. So it's not like the engine is letting off emissions the whole time. I can see the hybrids being used when they are ready to be retired, but till then, it'd be a waste of resources.

It's a lost cause. Anything old is 'dirty' to him. And not to mention that MC bus's engine isn't left running and parked when it is open for customers. So it's not like the engine is letting off emissions the whole time. I can see the hybrids being used when they are ready to be retired, but till then, it'd be a waste of resources.

One bus would be a waste of resources?? How old is 8319 now??? That bus is at least 20 years old... As far as things being old=dirty, no... It's just that the (MTA) isn't known for its cleanliness, esp. not with the subways or local buses.  This is coming from a guy that uses napkins on the subway to avoid touching the poles. LOL! (P.S. I don't blame you either...)

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

One bus would be a waste of resources?? How old is 8319 now??? That bus is at least 20 years old... As far as things being old=dirty, no... It's just that the (MTA) isn't known for its cleanliness, esp. not with the subways or local buses.  This is coming from a guy that uses napkins on the subway to avoid touching the poles. LOL! (P.S. I don't blame you either...)

One should know by now that current service levels needs every bus that's available. It just wouldn't make any sense to use a currently active hybrid as a metrocard bus when you have 8 million people bitching about service or lack thereof, missing buses, ect ect ect along with the bus shortages at so-and-so depots. Maybe when they are close to retirement, they'll use one, but not now. A better candidate would be a 1999 Orion V(one of the better conditioned buses). To request for a currently active and someone new-ish hybrid to be a metrocard bus is like using a Playstation 3 or an Xbox 360 for Netflix and not for the games.

And most big agencies aren't known for their cleanliness, but most big agencies don't run 24/7 like ours so that's a moot point.

Edited by Cait Sith

One should know by now that current service levels needs every bus that's available. It just wouldn't make any sense to use a currently active hybrid as a metrocard bus when you have 8 million people bitching about service or lack thereof, missing buses, ect ect ect along with the bus shortages at so-and-so depots. Maybe when they are close to retirement, they'll use one, but not now. A better candidate would be a 1999 Orion V(one of the better conditioned buses). To request for a currently active and someone new-ish hybrid to be a metrocard bus is like using a Playstation 3 or an Xbox 360 for Netflix and not for the games.

And most big agencies aren't known for their cleanliness, but most big agencies don't run 24/7 like ours so that's a moot point.

Well my point was that they should have something cleaner that's environmentally friendly.  I don't understand why they're so short on buses anyway when they cut so much service back in 2010. It's not like they've restored all of the routes and even with the restorations, they're still providing the bare bones in terms of service for most local bus routes, so I don't understand why they're so short on buses... If they came up with some something more technologically advanced or a way of paying, there would be no need for a bus period.  

Well my point was that they should have something cleaner that's environmentally friendly. I don't understand why they're so short on buses anyway when they cut so much service back in 2010. It's not like they've restored all of the routes and even with the restorations, they're still providing the bare bones in terms of service for most local bus routes, so I don't understand why they're so short on buses... If they came up with some something more technologically advanced or a way of paying, there would be no need for a bus period.

At the same time, that bus has a clean diesel engine which is environmentally friendly, so that kinda makes the argument null and void. The only sticking point is that the bus is old, but its always kept in good running and cosmetic condition which also makes the argument null and void.

Also, its not sitting on idle all the time when its at the hospital locations as the bus is 95% shut off (at least from every time I've seen it at Flushing, Bellevue and Gouverneur Hospitals).

And on top of that, that same bus isn't running every day or every week, they also run some tiny Metrocard Van. I see it almost all the time.

Edited by Cait Sith

At the same time, that bus has a clean diesel engine which is environmentally friendly, so that kinda makes the argument null and void. The only sticking point is that the bus is old, but its always kept in good running and cosmetic condition which also makes the argument null and void.

Also, its not sitting on idle all the time when its at the hospital locations as the bus is 95% shut off (at least from every time I've seen it at Flushing, Bellevue and Gouverneur Hospitals).

And on top of that, that same bus isn't running every day or every week, they also run some tiny Metrocard Van. I see it almost all the time.

lol... Don't know if I would agree with that... I wonder how many people actually even know what it is... I always do a double take when I see it because I don't see them that often and they the design is rather awkward and outdated so I'm not sure what to make of them.  Me personally I would just get rid of it and keep the van if it's newer.

Today sucked....

Got on the B70...crowded...then it emptied out...so i made a vid

Then i hopped on the S53 with loud kids on the bus throughtout the whole ride...in the tight ass high seat...i hate that stupid high seat in the back no damm leg room

Then i loose my student metrocard on the s53...probably fell out my sweats

So i had some change in my bag that i used

Then i hope on the S76 and i walk to the back and these two guys start flirting with me...very awkward and uncomfortable ride

Then i hope on the S52 going to ferry with transfer and that bus had madd people with some loud ignorant adults in the back

Then i refill my reg metro card to hop on the s78 and i miss it....bus wasnt on bustime

Then i catch the next s78 and guess what it gets packed with loud kids and loud people...

So i was only able to make 1 vid

And my trip to coney island was cancelled meaning no XD40s

Imagine if 4888 was out there :(

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Today sucked....

Got on the B70...crowded...then it emptied out...so i made a vid

Then i hopped on the S53 with loud kids on the bus throughtout the whole ride...in the tight ass high seat...i hate that stupid high seat in the back no damm leg room

Then i loose my student metrocard on the s53...probably fell out my sweats

So i had some change in my bag that i used

Then i hope on the S76 and i walk to the back and these two guys start flirting with me...very awkward and uncomfortable ride

Then i hope on the S52 going to ferry with transfer and that bus had madd people with some loud ignorant adults in the back

Then i refill my reg metro card to hop on the s78 and i miss it....bus wasnt on bustime

Then i catch the next s78 and guess what it gets packed with loud kids and loud people...

So i was only able to make 1 vid

And my trip to coney island was cancelled meaning no XD40s

Imagine if 4888 was out there :(

Two guys were flirting with you???   :o  :ph34r: Ay yay yay... These two guys were checking me out the other night when I was at a BxM2 bus stop. I gave them the look like don't even think about it.  <_<

Two guys were flirting with you??? :o:ph34r: Ay yay yay... These two guys were checking me out the other night when I was at a BxM2 bus stop. I gave them the look like don't even think about it. <_<

Yes two guys...

I had to play it off...i was about to fight but i just let it go cause i aint suppose to be on no S76 bus.

Yes two guys...

I had to play it off...i was about to fight but i just let it go cause i aint suppose to be on no S76 bus.

LOL... Too funny... I get irritated when an ugly chick is checking me out let alone another guy... You gotta be careful when you're out... I always make sure nothing is showing if you know what I mean or at least I try (don't have any control over the genes)  :lol: and always be aware of your surroundings.... Now and days you do have folks that will try to follow you.  I've been noticing this esp. in the Union Sq. area and I give them the look like nope not here you don't. 

I mean I don't get too crazy if someone is checking me out because hey we're all humans, but don't make it so friggin' obvious.  It's like guys when they're checking out chicks.  You can do it without letting her know and in fact if she's classy she'll let you check her out.  :D

B103 is O5 CNG city for anyone who's interested... rode 9851 and saw 746 earlier. Same thing with the Bees on the Q35.

Also, 903 was on the B67.

I just saw a 90x maybe 902 on the B70

LOL... Too funny...I get irritated when an ugly chick is checking me out let alone another guy... You gotta be careful when you're out... I always make sure nothing is showing if you know what I mean or at least I try (don't have any control over the genes) :lol: and always be aware of your surroundings.... Now and days you do have folks that will try to follow you. I've been noticing this esp. in the Union Sq. area and I give them the look like nope not here you don't.

Lmaoo i'll PM you

So I guess it's safe to say that the Orion V CNG's are retired from service on CP routes. They show up on LGA and SC or JFK routes.

Getting there.

9836, 9860, 9871 (some BS), 9880, 9891 and 9918 assigned to LaGuardia.

9849, 9874, 9875, 9877, 9889, 9897, 9899, 9902, 9905, 9920 remain at CP.

No change in Spring Creek.

If it wasn't named, it's gone.

Edited by SevenEleven

Getting there.

9836, 9860, 9871 (some BS), 9880, 9891 and 9918 assigned to LaGuardia.

9849, 9874, 9875, 9877, 9889, 9897, 9899, 9902, 9905, 9920 remain at CP.

No change in Spring Creek.

If it wasn't named, it's gone.

Wow so ExBees and Orion Vs...total..about 30! These buses are about to become history

So I guess it's safe to say that the Orion V CNG's are retired from service on CP routes. They show up on LGA and SC or JFK routes.

Well they can still run the CP routes, but it seems the ones that are still there are exclusively for the LGA routes and (A) shuttle, there's actually like 10 or so IIRC with fareboxes removed that are exclusively for the shuttle.