BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Thanks. I've seen your posts about it and I've had second thoughts, but since it's one of the closest routes near my home, I guess I'll have to make do with it.

lol... The B49 used to be great back in the day... Could set your watch to it esp. in the morning, but now it's really hit or miss. Just give yourself extra time because you're going to need it.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I went to Red Hook today, and some VII CNGs were running the B61. They sound very similar to the V CNGs.

Same S50 engine on the C40LFs, V CNGs, and VII CNGs...C40s and VIIs are prolly a little throatier though, and you can't really hear the blow-off valve from the outside of the VIIs too well. There was a time when all of JG's routes sounded the exact same, but these days it's a rarity even being able to hear the bus. 

Same S50 engine on the C40LFs, V CNGs, and VII CNGs...C40s and VIIs are prolly a little throatier though, and you can't really hear the blow-off valve from the outside of the VIIs too well. There was a time when all of JG's routes sounded the exact same, but these days it's a rarity even being able to hear the bus.

But those C40s have a loud humm

As f**ked up as it sounds I don't help as many people as I used to. Personally I feel people should be responsible for their own damn commutes. I mean, if you needed help would likely you wouldn't get it from 90% of passengers.

In my case, I found people are ignorant and refuse to learn for themselves. Case in point, this one woman in my locale continues to ask for the general estimate of the times for the routes she uses. I just don't care anymore, pick up a damn timetable and learn yourself.

Well, it's easy to say that from the point of view of a transit fan, because you already know how to look at the maps and schedules and figure these things out. But she could've been following somebody else's directions ("take the S94 because it's a limited and is faster than the S44. Since you're going during rush hour, you should be good"). Yes, the Guide-A-Ride is right there, but you have to have a general idea of how to use it. (You have to know that the purple times are S94s, and if you're not traveling during that time, you need the S44). I mean, even some drivers get confused sometimes. There was an S94 driver a while back, who asked "When am I supposed to start going limited?" because he normally did the S79.

I mean, looking at it from her POV, I'd be pissed if the only reason I was late to work (or wherever she was going) was because of something as stupid as misreading a bus schedule. At least if you offer somebody the opportunity to learn the easy way, then any mistake they make is on them.

I've received occasional help from passengers (mostly holding a bus when I'm running down the block, and a couple of times helping with directions when I was in an unfamiliar area), so I can't be too negative.

Well, it's easy to say that from the point of view of a transit fan, because you already know how to look at the maps and schedules and figure these things out. But she could've been following somebody else's directions ("take the S94 because it's a limited and is faster than the S44. Since you're going during rush hour, you should be good"). Yes, the Guide-A-Ride is right there, but you have to have a general idea of how to use it. (You have to know that the purple times are S94s, and if you're not traveling during that time, you need the S44). I mean, even some drivers get confused sometimes. There was an S94 driver a while back, who asked "When am I supposed to start going limited?" because he normally did the S79.

I mean, looking at it from her POV, I'd be pissed if the only reason I was late to work (or wherever she was going) was because of something as stupid as misreading a bus schedule. At least if you offer somebody the opportunity to learn the easy way, then any mistake they make is on them.

I've received occasional help from passengers (mostly holding a bus when I'm running down the block, and a couple of times helping with directions when I was in an unfamiliar area), so I can't be too negative.

Well, as you can see I'm an ego centric a**hole with no concern for anyone else, LOL.

Well, as you can see I'm an ego centric a**hole with no concern for anyone else, LOL.

LOL. Well, the majority of riders probably couldn't care less about whether the other riders get where they need to go. (As is evidenced by the people who refuse to move back on a crowded bus for starters).

I mean, you said it yourself that you don't help as many people as you used to. That means that at one point, you helped more people, and implies that you still help some people to some extent, which is still more than most riders do.

LOL. Well, the majority of riders probably couldn't care less about whether the other riders get where they need to go. (As is evidenced by the people who refuse to move back on a crowded bus for starters).

I mean, you said it yourself that you don't help as many people as you used to. That means that at one point, you helped more people, and implies that you still help some people to some extent, which is still more than most riders do.

I suppose. In any event we all have our days, good or bad.

When was PM Peak service to Manhattan discontinued on the QM21? I remember in 2009 it was AM and PM to Manhattan, PM to Rochdale Village

When ridership went in the dump... It would be great if they could bring it back because it is a very helpful bus in terms of helping with the commute but the folks there aren't exactly making big bucks to afford the express bus like that.

The two old black bus shelters on the Q25/Q34 by Queens College and Jewel Ave were taken down today. Is it done like that always where the bus shelter is taken apart and they don't have to dig the ground to remove it?

I thought the old one was removed and they start building the new one on the same day they took the other one apart.

Just had an empty SBS 12 bus flag me (the sign didn't say NOT IN SERVICE it did correctly say BROADWAY INWOOD.) He was about 2 minutes behind another SBS that I missed. Going to be shooting an email about bus 1211. Went on the local behind that and looks like he's flagging everybody since the SBS stops ahead all have people waiting. Next time don't put the sign up saying that you are in service when you're really not, you jerk.

The two old black bus shelters on the Q25/Q34 by Queens College and Jewel Ave were taken down today. Is it done like that always where the bus shelter is taken apart and they don't have to dig the ground to remove it?

I thought the old one was removed and they start building the new one on the same day they took the other one apart.

No... They have to usually dig up the ground and put fresh cement in and anything else that may be needed for the new shelters.  I don't think the black shelters are contracted to the same company (CEMUSA), so the set up is different.  They may or may not put a new shelter in.  Some places where they removed the old shelters no longer have a shelter and places where there was no shelter before now have shelters so you'll have to wait and see.

No... They have to usually dig up the ground and put fresh cement in and anything else that may be needed for the new shelters. I don't think the black shelters are contracted to the same company (CEMUSA), so the set up is different. They may or may not put a new shelter in. Some places where they removed the old shelters no longer have a shelter and places where there was no shelter before now have shelters so you'll have to wait and see.

Well I hope they put one there because a lot of people wait at these stops and I know an elderly person wouldn't want to wait there and have to stand up. I also wonder when these guide a rides for the Q25 and Q34 will be done. I wonder how they are made.

Well I hope they put one there because a lot of people wait at these stops and I know an elderly person wouldn't want to wait there and have to stand up. I also wonder when these guide a rides for the Q25 and Q34 will be done. I wonder how they are made.

I'm not sure about the guide-a-rides but I'm sure that the bus stop signage has to be made separately (the street or avenue where the shelter is located).  I can't even recall a guide-a-ride at the one express bus stop that has one of the new bus shelters.  I don't think I recall seeing one for the BxM1 shelter nor for the BxM2 bus shelter.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Yesterday, I was on 149th street and looked at 4722, the front sign looked different "BX2" and in the backsign is bolded "BX2" sign look like nice bus Orion 7 sign!!! If I see that bus again I'm gonna take a pic

I try to take a pic of the front, it didn't work, but did took the back pic

null.jpg

Edited by twilson1160