BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Just saw (MTA) Bus Co. Orion VII HEV 3762 being towed out to Long Island on the LIE. Was on a private company tow truck, not an (MTA) one!

Your post reminds me of when I seen an Private Tow Truck towed an Hybrid from BP depot a couple of years ago.

I remember seeing that its not as simple as I thought it was to set up these buses to get towed.

Edited by trainfan22

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw (MTA) Bus Co. Orion VII HEV 3762 being towed out to Long Island on the LIE. Was on a private company tow truck, not an (MTA) one!

Buses only get towed by MTA trucks, to MTA facilities. Private tow trucks are used when a bus is getting towed to, or from an outside vender's facility. They are also used in cases where buses break down on the highway. If I'm not mistaken, CRS is not allowed to work on highways. So private companies are used to tow buses of the highway to a waiting CRS truck, or in rare cases, all the way back to the depot.

I think the M8 reached bunching mecca today. Three of them back-to-back in a single block radius. Thoughts and prayers for anybody with hopes to get across town today.

thanks to all the construction at the Junction there was nearly a mega bunching of artics on the b44. There was as much as 3 artics per direction with maybe one or two 40' bus breaking up the mainly artic runs. At this point they could just put those artics on the limiteds exclusively and maybe scale back a few runs and free up some buses for some more b41 short turns especially after 3:30pm.

Q35 once again with a 30 min wait without warning due to a run being cut. I should've known once it hit 3:45 and nothing showed, the bus was going to show up just before 4pm and to top it off it was a lf bus and it was just swamped. The only bright side was the kids all went to the back, so its not like a mass of ppl huddled at the front.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Buses only get towed by MTA trucks, to MTA facilities. Private tow trucks are used when a bus is getting towed to, or from an outside vender's facility. They are also used in cases where buses break down on the highway. If I'm not mistaken, CRS is not allowed to work on highways. So private companies are used to tow buses of the highway to a waiting CRS truck, or in rare cases, all the way back to the depot.

I figured that. Bus was probably headed to the Cummins facility out in Ronkonkoma.

Under the impression that 126th street and FLatbush don't like queens

With the exception of 9642 & 9652, every single RTS we got from both depots has had to be to worked on, or taken oos.

9426 -> Transmission, Air bags/suspension & AC Fan belt

9638 -> forgot why it needed work

9639 -> AC Fanbelt & leveling valve needed to be fix'd

9640 -> ....

9641 -> transmission takes forever to go into 2nd/no power

9651 -> Slow as hell, was written up three times in the past two days by operators

9653 -> Transmission & some engine work

9654 -> when in reverse just revs at high RPM and slightly moves

9655 -> was oos for a day I don't remember what it was

9657 -> uhm missing lights, or burnt out lights. Needs some electrical work too

Makes sense, last revenue trip it had was October 24th...something's up, GPS has been off since.

Isn't that the bus whose engine ate itself? I remember someone mentioned a couple of months ago a 3G with a blown engine that was off in a faraway land for repairs and such.

As if anyone is actually going to come out here to ride them lol.

Just imagine if the Xcelsiors had them removed...

Sure I'd come out here to ride them... oh wait... I do live out here (next to the Q88 where they love to put them on) :P