BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this any better for ya? :P

13638_195673544347_665562_n.jpg

LOL! Well this is a surprise... :D  But that was a serious question... I assume they don't run artics on the Q10 usually do they??  That reminds me... The other morning I saw an Xcelsior on 225th and Broadway signed up with an X17 sign... 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

LOL! Well this is a surprise... :D  But that was a serious question... I assume they don't run artics on the Q10 usually do they??  That reminds me... The other morning I saw an Xcelsior on 225th and Broadway signed up with an X17 sign... 

Nope, they are starting to run them on the Q10 every now and then as operators are getting trained on them. The Q10 is supposed to be converted to an artic line which is desperately needed.

And it looks like your Staten Island roots are coming back to haunt you :P

Edited by Cait Sith

Nope, they are starting to run them on the Q10 every now and then as operators are getting trained on them. The Q10 is supposed to be converted to an artic line which is desperately needed.

And it looks like your Staten Island roots are coming back to haunt you :P

LOL... I'd say... It was quite the shocker... I usually start to go to sleep around there and just as I was about to doze off I see this artic with the X17 signage and did a double take.  

Finally rode the ENY Xcelsiors!!

Mann those drivers are the best! If i knew an Xcelsior would pop up on the line then i will ride it all the time...cause im tired of UP RTS and their Xcelsiors are soo damm hard to find

I had 4824 on the B82 Limited and the driver was moving!! It was perfect...video will be uploaded soon...but idk what my phone was doing with the sound...when i was listening to it on my phone it was sounding fuzzy...but hopefully it will change on youtube.

I changed the settings so it should be good now for future uploadeds

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Mann those drivers are the best! If i knew an Xcelsior would pop up on the line then i will ride it all the time...cause im tired of UP RTS and their Xcelsiors are soo damm hard to find

I had 4824 on the B82 Limited and the driver was moving!! It was perfect...video will be uploaded soon...but idk what my phone was doing with the sound...when i was listening to it on my phone it was sounding fuzzy...but hopefully it will change on youtube.

Was the bus going to Spring Creek....?

Probably he was moving because he was late or he just wanted to get to the end quickly. They do be moving though, only way I can tell if my ride will be enjoyable is by the way they're driving up the street & the way they pull into the bus stop. If some drivers blaze  they ass into the stops then 95% chance ill get a good ride home. This one driver had 8994 stretched out on cropsey doing 56.

Probably he was moving because he was late or he just wanted to get to the end quickly. They do be moving though, only way I can tell if my ride will be enjoyable is by the way they're driving up the street & the way they pull into the bus stop. If some drivers blaze they ass into the stops then 95% chance ill get a good ride home. This one driver had 8994 stretched out on cropsey doing 56.

Ohh yeah i remember him pulling into the stop madd fast

Now that we're talking about artics, the Q38 should get artics, but 3 factors wont make true

1. CP doesnt have artics

2. The Reverse Peak loads are to low for artics 

3. The thin streets it uses (primarly in the Juniper Valley Area) will be a problem for artics.

#133 was on the Q69 today. I saw it first at 82nd and Ditmars around 7:30 but I was in a rush, so I took a shot of the back. Then I saw it again around 10:15, but I was on 9219, so I got a blurry shot.

133 was on the Q72 yesterday BTW

Noticed this long while ago when it came back from 8 year...

6443 is fitted with an "Ultracapacitor"

null_zps9afd39a1.jpg

I guess that's what the new vent on the cover is for

Ultracapacitor?? Where do you see that? All I see in this picture near the "new" vent is the CRT and the muffler...

The BX10 can sure use Arctics during school hours... it is an absolute overload on those Orions during school trippers

I don't know how they'd be able to deal with the meandering roads though in Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale, particularly coming up Johnson and on to Kappock St.

I don't know how they'd be able to deal with the meandering roads though in Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale, particularly coming up Johnson and on to Kappock St.

If 45 foot motorcoaches can handle the topography of the area, 60 foot transit buses can easily handle it.

If 45 foot motorcoaches can handle the topography of the area, 60 foot transit buses can easily handle it.

Um, that is not true. The express buses and local buses can't even pass each other along the Henry Hudson Parkway service roads because there is not enough room.  The other issue is space at the bus stops.  They are already tight with three express buses, Hudson Rail Link buses and two or three local buses serving the same bus stops.  In fact the roads are so narrow that the other night while walking home near the Henry Hudson Parkway, there was some sort of issue where two local buses were pulled over, which in turn backed up traffic all along the Henry Hudson Parkway service road.  There were two express buses there (BxM1 and a BxM2), a Hudson Rail link bus, and then all of the traffic that could not pass. It must've took at least 30 minutes for that to be cleared up because I saw the same buses on Bus Time that were just making it down the hill as I was at home tracking my express bus to head back to the city.

I don't know how familiar you are with Riverdale, but the section that is up in the hills do not have street grids which means that the roads meander about and have no sort of pattern.  The area fought hard for any sort of redevelopment of this part of Riverdale and succeeded due to its wealth and political power, so while the small narrow streets are charming they are not good for lots of traffic and large vehicles, particularly along the Henry Hudson Parkway, which is what the Bx10 primarily serves.  Now Riverdale Avenue could have artics because it's wide enough so the Bx7 could probably get them.  For the most part, after 20:00 traffic is generally very light along the parkway and even during most of the day as the buses are generally spread out to now show up all at once but still.  If a UPS truck or garbage truck or USPS truck is parked anywhere and they don't park partially on the sidewalk, we are stuck there until they move.  <_<