BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

@ Turbo19 one of those MTS RTS test fleets was supposed to be suburbans so the TA must be considering the spitting the express fleet between transit and OTR buses if they planned to order a "test fleet" of 40 FT buses for the express routes. It worked just fine at SC when they had two express fleets AFAIK, I know some runs ALWAYS used the MCIs because of the amount of people that rode it. And the others was allowed to use whatever bus because both could seat everyone comfortably. 

Those MTS buses were actually 42.5 feet and seated 49. Honestly since that option was cancelled I could care less now.

i was being sarcastic, but i do think they could look into using shorter 40' buses instead of the longer buses they currently have for 'a few people'. If it keeps the runs the same without the need to merge/cut runs to force people to either leave earlier or to wait longer for the next bus, then why not look into it? It's not like replace a d4500 with some 30' bus or something that drastic

Still though, I don't see any cost savings at all.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Different agencies have different set ups... You can't expect things to be the same from agency to agency.

I never heard of any policy at the MTA or NYC/NYS law that there are no standees on highways or anything. I've seen it happen. Maybe for private bus companies it's illegal (IIRC our PBLs such as Academy and CUSA aren't supposed to carry standees) but there shouldn't be a problem with the MTA having standees on the buses. Plus, using suburban seat transit buses on the "express" lines doesn't automatically mean every bus will go out SRO.

Well yess thats true....but thats not a list of buses rode...thats a list of buses that dont have soundclips or on board vids on youtube...

Now THIS is A list of xcelsiors that i havent rode

4810-4814, 4817, 4819-4820, 4822, 4829, 4839, 4852-4853, 4859, 4899...

BTW...how the hell can that first list be the buses i rode?!?!!?

YALL ALL OBVIOUSLY KNOW I RODE 4888 smhh lol

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Yeah yeah yeah... <_< Once the (MTA) bought more MCI's Quill became a complete MCI depot for the X90.

The opposite my man, that video was when they'd started to get rid of the MCIs so they were forced to run 40-footers. The x90 was mainly an MCI route with the exception of when O5s used to run and, before that, suburban RTSes.

Guest MTA Bus

Towards the end of the X90's life, the MTA transferred all of the MCIs from MJQ to SI and MTA Bus. After that, the 40 ft buses were used on the x90.

The opposite my man, that video was when they'd started to get rid of the MCIs so they were forced to run 40-footers. The x90 was mainly an MCI route with the exception of when O5s used to run and, before that, suburban RTSes.

Towards the end of the X90's life, the MTA transferred all of the MCIs from MJQ to SI and MTA Bus. After that, the 40 ft buses were used on the x90.

That's news to me.  I thought the X90 was axed shortly after the line got MCI's so I guess I didn't pay much attention because I didn't recall seeing those Orions on the line at all. The old ones I remember but not those.

yup, you stated it correctly: The seats on the ex-pbls are narrower than the nyct ones. If those o5s didn't have the armrests, it'd be more comfortable. The only time i would ride in the 2 seaters is if the bus is nearly empty, otherwise i'm going for the bench seats.

As for a potentially shorter bus, as long as it is for the express bus routes and not shared with the local lines, i don't see a problem in ordering those. If some routes just don't have the demand for a d4500, then run a shorter bus and send the d4500s to depots that really needs them for their heavily demanding routes. And that way no runs would have to be cut or merged. Obviously it would mean another express bus fleet to deal with, but nothing that different now that there are prevosts around besides the usual d4500s.

i was being sarcastic, but i do think they could look into using shorter 40' buses instead of the longer buses they currently have for 'a few people'. If it keeps the runs the same without the need to merge/cut runs to force people to either leave earlier or to wait longer for the next bus, then why not look into it? It's not like replace a d4500 with some 30' bus or something that drastic

Smh thats the Bx15 right there it has long and short buses ,but mostly long and theyre like carrying 5-10 people max.... That's why they shoulda left it as Orion VII CNGs

I never heard of any policy at the MTA or NYC/NYS law that there are no standees on highways or anything. I've seen it happen. Maybe for private bus companies it's illegal (IIRC our PBLs such as Academy and CUSA aren't supposed to carry standees) but there shouldn't be a problem with the MTA having standees on the buses. Plus, using suburban seat transit buses on the "express" lines doesn't automatically mean every bus will go out SRO.

MTA express routes do allow standees, I SEEN MTA express buses with people standing in the isle way and posters on this board have even ridden express buses where people were standing in the isle way.

I agree with your last point as well.

Apparently 6298 got a rear-end paint job, but now it sports the impact-font numbers and a horrendous and rather huge MTA logo as well.

If I see it again I'll take a picture.

MTA express routes do allow standees, I SEEN MTA express buses with people standing in the isle way and posters on this board have even ridden express buses where people were standing in the isle way.

I think the rule is that no standees are allowed on express buses via New Jersey. I've seen people stand on express buses other than the NJ routes, but aren't too happy.

I think the rule is that no standees are allowed on express buses via New Jersey. I've seen people stand on express buses other than the NJ routes, but aren't too happy.

Yes, standees by law are not supposed to be on NYC express buses via New Jersey and I have NEVER been on or seen any NYCT express bus with standees going via NJ, be it an X17J, X22, X30 or an X31.  It's usually NYCT SI express buses going through Brooklyn that are SRO and on the rare occassion X27's/X37's or X28's/X38's if buses are backed up. Standeeds on MTA Bus express buses are very rare and I have yet to have witnessed it.  I heard of there being standees on a BxM1 once from some regulars while we were waiting for a BxM2 but that was only because a bus broke down or was delayed or something and you better believe that people were furious about it.  Otherwise it is not the norm at all.  That's why ridership on express buses is closely monitored so that if there is continued issues with crowding, service can be adjusted accordingly and vice versa.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

f**k me right now  :angry:

So I've been sick for a week, and I figured since I can't go to school, I could go fan the Bishop Maginn tripper, because it only runs during school hours. Well, I finally remember 4 minutes before it leaves, so I just put the first SD card I could find in my camera, and it says there's room on it, so i'm like "Huh, that's odd, I don't remember clearing this one out." So I run (well, really walking until I saw the bus was already there) all the way to Bishop Maginn, turn on my camera and it says "MEMORY CARD FULL". In a frugal attempt to take a picture, I took out the SD card, hoping there was still space left on the camera, but sure enough, no luck. GODDAMIT. 

That could've very well been my last chance too, because I may be going back to that hellhole I call school tomorow.  :angry:

Forgot to mention: I forgot to go every single day the weather wasn't atrocious. (And of course, I didn't go when the weather was bad, ya know, being sick and all.

Edited by CDTA

Speaking of Orions on express routes..

That day was pure gold. Three of those were on the x90 that day, two of which that remained empty all the way to the F.D.R.

During that time, 1865 and 1868 were sent to Castleton and 1866 and 1867 were sent to College Point.

That's news to me.  I thought the X90 was axed shortly after the line got MCI's so I guess I didn't pay much attention because I didn't recall seeing those Orions on the line at all. The old ones I remember but not those.

This was taken during the last week of the x90 in service. As MCIs were being sent down to Staten Island and College Point, these started to appear on the line.

Edited by Cait Sith

Guest MTA Bus

Well, today 3563 just so happened to be on the Q10 Limited and I just so happened to be in Kew Gardens at the right time. That bus sounds good.