BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Seems 4230 is next to get the white front treatment. front was white, but no numbers at the front, so i had to wait till the bus moved up so i could see the number at the top (driver side).

if the whole paint shortage thing isn't straightened out, they might not be painting NG's for a while

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got out eating subway for lunch and saw Orion VII NG both 4158 and 4646 leaving 2 Av Q60 bus. 5 mins later saw 2 RTS coming down to Manhattan. I thought it was both Q101 and then its a Q60 behind it. Im surprised seeing one on a JFK route :rolleyes: compared to LGA

Well JFK does have 31 RTS's I always see them on the Q10

if the whole paint shortage thing isn't straightened out, they might not be painting NG's for a while

seems like a waste of paint imo. I mean sure they want some sort of uniformity, but it's not like they need to change that small strip at the front from black to white. 4618 was unique for being the only one here for a while with the white front.

Anyone know what the plan is with the C40s at JFK? Will SC keep loaning them until JFK gets artics running full time on the Q6/10 or will they just stop loaning after the (A) is restored? Also do they still run C40s on weekends?

I wouldn't bet against it, I have seen a few C40LFs during the weekends, scarce, but they are out there.

As for the other question, I would assume until (A) service is restored that everything between all three depots (JK, FR & SC) will return back to normal levels and normal fleet usage.

Oh God... All they need is white paint... How can they be short on that?? <_< I thought they were using blue stripes and white paint for the rest??

Its all paint. Black, blue, and white. On the earlier buses, they experimented with black and blue decals over a white base. But the finial decision was to use paint for everything. And with 3 facilities painting fulltime combined with all various depot with spray booths painting parttime, I guess the bean counters cut a little too much out of the paint budget.

Oh God... All they need is white paint... How can they be short on that?? <_< I thought they were using blue stripes and white paint for the rest??

Its all paint. Black, blue, and white. On the earlier buses, they experimented with black and blue decals over a white base. But the finial decision was to use paint for everything. And with 3 facilities painting fulltime combined with all various depot with spray booths painting parttime, I guess the bean counters cut a little too much out of the paint budget.

Well JFK does have 31 RTS's I always see them on the Q10

JFK used to have those 59xx Orion 5 that I see most of the time in JFK routes. now ever since the RTS came to JFK, I just see them in a rush hour. I remember seeing one at QCM either Q11 or 21

Wasn't the black paint shortage part of the whole reason whitebacks replaced blackbacks in the color scheme? Pretty crazy how many paint shortages there are, not a complicated thing to order. 

Short on paint and short on soap too apparently... lol

I noticed that they are doing construction near Yukon Depot so the what the S44 and S61are doing is the opposite of their normal routes: Left from Richmond Av to Independence, left on Forest Hill Rd, and left On Yukon and they layover/relieve where the S59 stop is.

Here's a little catch though, if buses are not making a return trip to the ferry or reliving, they take the normal route and just pull in to the fuel line. Luckily, my B/O friend's last trip is s S91.

The detour is listed on the MTA site.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

Wasn't the black paint shortage part of the whole reason whitebacks replaced blackbacks in the color scheme? Pretty crazy how many paint shortages there are, not a complicated thing to order.

It really is not difficult to order paint or anything else that has been cut back on lately. But the "bean counters" I refer to are the kind that make decisions, but don't see the results them unless they directly affect "the bottom line".

The MNR Shuttle is like the (A) shuttle. All work for various depots.

See, I was under the impression the RR's were primarily MTAB work in their respective boroughs because they can't do the subway shuttle's, and the lack of buses needed,

See, I was under the impression the RR's were primarily MTAB work in their respective boroughs because they can't do the subway shuttle's, and the lack of buses needed,

Only Spring Creek, JFK and Far Rock are prohibited from shuttle work because of an injunction their union got, which is weird because I heard they were doing the Euclid-Howard Beach shuttle last week. CP runs the (A) shuttle every weekday with Orion V CNGs.

Only Spring Creek, JFK and Far Rock are prohibited from shuttle work because of an injunction their union got, which is weird because I heard they were doing the Euclid-Howard Beach shuttle last week. CP runs the (A) shuttle every weekday with Orion V CNGs.

I've seen a quite a few JFK buses do the (A) shuttle, is there an exception for that one?

I've seen a quite a few JFK buses do the (A) shuttle, is there an exception for that one?

I've seen buses from Jamaica, Queens Village, Casey Stengel, College Point, East New York, Fresh Pond, Flatbush, Jackie Gleason, Ulmer Park and Michael J. Quill doing the (A) Shuttle Bus

I've seen buses from Jamaica, Queens Village, Casey Stengel, College Point, East New York, Fresh Pond, Flatbush, Jackie Gleason, Ulmer Park and Michael J. Quill doing the (A) Shuttle Bus

Yup, but they cut the runs down. Gun Hill is out there in the am, MHV/MQ am, Gleason, Flatbush Midday - Evening, U.P. had 4 runs they were cut to 2 runs. One in the morning & one midday - evening, CP all day I believe, as for the others I think its morning - afternoon.