Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Who cares? I'm sure that they're just grateful for a bus.

We all know how suburban folks can get... obviously this is an emergency but some folks just don't give a damn, can't be grateful for what they got.

I think some are saying, "what's CT doing for their end?" Since the MTA is NY state, not CT. I wonder what signs they use for the MNXR shuttle? just standard 'shuttle'?

Speaking of 9080, saw it again this morning along with c40lf 818 on the B9.

CTTransit, Greater Bridgeport Transit and DATTCO are providing SOME buses, from what I heard a very small amont of them. MTA Bus/NYCT is sending most of the buses, LFSAs, XD60s, the MCIs from storage, 3000s, even the new CTs. Since MTA operates service under contract to CT, it's probably considered their job to arrange buses/alternate service for the most part.

• Upvote 1

Whatever happened to those 8 something emergency bus service companies?

SMH. The S62 I was on was scheduled to arrive at St. George 14 minutes before the ferry pulled in, but traffic was so bad that we arrived 5 minutes after the ferry was scheduled to leave. Thankfully, the ferry had a 5 minute delay, so I was able to make it, but I didn't see anybody else running from the S62 (or the S61 behind us) to the ferry, so I might've been the only one who made it.

Going back, the weird thing was that we left Whitehall Street roughly close to on time (maybe a minute or two late), the S92 left a couple of minutes after the main crowd had gotten on, and we were moving at a good clip, but yet I checked my phone and we were still about 5 minutes late. (And we lost a few more minutes with the typical traffic by Manor Road, and just outside CSI, though it wasn't as terrible as it sometimes is). We actually ended up catching up to an S62 that left St. George 20 minutes earlier, despite the fact that we were late. (It was pulling out of the CSI loop during the light cycle before we pulled into the loop, and since the other bus picked up whoever was waiting at Richmond Avenue, our bus probably caught up to it before it reached the terminal).

Whatever happened to those 8 something emergency bus service companies?

There are contractors on standby for shuttle service at LIRR and MNR, but MTA can send out NYCT/MTAB in addition to or instead of them as they see fit. Obviously some contractors were brought in here, but the bulk of the work is being done by NYCT and MTA Bus.

Few weeks ago I believe the Hempstead branch of the LIRR was out/skipping stations in Queens, and Baisley Park was running that shuttle and not one of the contractors.

I think some are saying, "what's CT doing for their end?" Since the MTA is NY state, not CT. I wonder what signs they use for the MNXR shuttle? just standard 'shuttle'?

There is a sign code for MNRR Service. NYCT bus is 9101 & MTA Bus is 26.

• Upvote 2

I enjoyed the pics in the news where the signs displayed 'SUBWAY SHUTTLE'  :D

Was NICE asked to help out with buses?  I know it has been said that NICE/Veolia has kept a "good relationship" with the (MTA) since the transition.  I couldn't help but wonder why NICE wasn't helping since there were other private companies helping and the news reported there "weren't enough buses" for people to get on.

Edited by Burrstone

Did the drivers of the (MTA) buses start their day working in CT or did they drive the bus out of NYC themselves do the shuttle in CT and drive back to NY?

Did these (MTA) buses have a DOT inspection and inspection sticker on the bus?

Did all the (MTA) doing this shuttle have a DOT physical, and if so carrying their DOT card on them?

I ask this because I am curious, not because I am bitching, the one question we know the answer to is were these (MTA) buses operated in interstate travel?  Yes.  If we answered no to any of my first three questions it would appear FMCSA rules and regulations were violated.  It would've been a huge liability to the (MTA) and the drivers if involved in an accident while violating FMCSA rules and regulations.

Did the drivers of the (MTA) buses start their day working in CT or did they drive the bus out of NYC themselves do the shuttle in CT and drive back to NY?

Did all the (MTA) doing this shuttle have a DOT physical, and if so carrying their DOT card on them?

I ask this because I am curious, not because I am bitching, the one question we know the answer to is were these (MTA) buses operated in interstate travel? Yes. If we answered no to any of my first three questions it would appear FMCSA rules and regulations were violated. It would've been a huge liability to the (MTA) and the drivers if involved in an accident while violating FMCSA rules and regulations.

1. The buses come from their respective depots and drive out there to CT, just like any subway shuttle

2. I'm pretty sure all the buses are DOT certified already

3. All MTA bus drivers have to take a DOT physical before becoming a driver anyway

• Upvote 2

I ask this because I am curious, not because I am bitching, the one question we know the answer to is were these (MTA) buses operated in interstate travel? Yes. If we answered no to any of my first three questions it would appear FMCSA rules and regulations were violated. It would've been a huge liability to the (MTA) and the drivers if involved in an accident while violating FMCSA rules and regulations.

Have we forgotten the X17J and the other SI expresses that go through NJ every day, not to mention the buses going back to SI through NJ after their runs? Not to mention the S79...

But he could be right here. I know MTA put the NYCTA USDOT number on the side of a lot of the NGs at Yukon for S79 service, they aren't on the MCIs but maybe they don't need them since they don't pick up/drop off in NJ. This is a tough one, they travel interstate without passengers and only transport passengers within CT.

• Upvote 1

1. The buses come from their respective depots and drive out there to CT, just like any subway shuttle

2. I'm pretty sure all the buses are DOT certified already

3. All MTA bus drivers have to take a DOT physical before becoming a driver anyway

Are there DOT inspection stickers in the windshield?  The reason I ask is because the entire LIB fleet had to have a DOT inspection before NICE took over because (MTA) was exempt from a DOT inspection.  

The question that I have is would the (MTA) be exempt from FMCSA rules and regulations if operating in interstate travel (such as this shuttle)?  and if so, why?

Have we forgotten the X17J and the other SI expresses that go through NJ every day, not to mention the buses going back to SI through NJ after their runs? Not to mention the S79...

I can't forget about something I don't know.  :D

But he could be right here. I know MTA put the NYCTA USDOT number on the side of a lot of the NGs at Yukon for S79 service, they aren't on the MCIs but maybe they don't need them since they don't pick up/drop off in NJ. This is a tough one, they travel interstate without passengers and only transport passengers within CT.

Like I said, I only ask because I'm curious without a certain exemption it appears the (MTA) was violating FMCSA rules and regulations.  Granted they were helping but if the DOT decided to be a dick, they really could have nailed the (MTA) .  If there was an accident while violating these laws the lawyers would have had a field day with the self insured (MTA) !

Are there DOT inspection stickers in the windshield? The reason I ask is because the entire LIB fleet had to have a DOT inspection before NICE took over because (MTA) was exempt from a DOT inspection.

The question that I have is would the (MTA) be exempt from FMCSA rules and regulations if operating in interstate travel (such as this shuttle)? and if so, why?

Like I said, I only ask because I'm curious without a certain exemption it appears the (MTA) was violating FMCSA rules and regulations. Granted they were helping but if the DOT decided to be a dick, they really could have nailed the (MTA) . If there was an accident while violating these laws the lawyers would have had a field day with the self insured (MTA) !

Those stickers are NYSDOT and not federal inspection stickers, they were required because the system was being operated privately and not by a government entity directly. And like I said, passengers were being transported within CT only, the buses themselves were coming from NY with no passengers on board. The X17J and others including NIS buses that travel through NJ don't have any type of DOT stickers/numbers, I'm guessing because passengers aren't being transported to the other state, the bus just goes through it to re-enter NY. Same with NIS buses, they're coming through NJ to pick up passengers in NY or return to the depot in NY with no stops in NJ. In this situation there isn't any interstate passenger travel, passengers are being transported solely within CT.

Whereas on the S79 where passengers are dropped off and picked up in NJ, the buses must have the NYCTA USDOT number printed on the side of the bus.

Those stickers are NYSDOT and not federal inspection stickers, they were required because the system was being operated privately and not by a government entity directly. And like I said, passengers were being transported within CT only, the buses themselves were coming from NY with no passengers on board. The X17J and others including NIS buses that travel through NJ don't have any type of DOT stickers/numbers, I'm guessing because passengers aren't being transported to the other state, the bus just goes through it to re-enter NY. Same with NIS buses, they're coming through NJ to pick up passengers in NY or return to the depot in NY with no stops in NJ. In this situation there isn't any interstate passenger travel, passengers are being transported solely within CT.

Whereas on the S79 where passengers are dropped off and picked up in NJ, the buses must have the NYCTA USDOT number printed on the side of the bus.

That's correct.  

The ex-bl buses are still around. Got 163 on the q35 and saw 141 in the opposite direction.

And saw both 9080 and 9172 on the b41. It seems i don't have to wait for them, they show up :)

Edited by Grand Concourse

Actually it has nothing to do with crossing state lines but the passengers are picked up in one state and dropped off in the same state.  it doesn't matter where the passengers are picked or dropped off, state lines are still being crossed.

What is going in this case is the FMCSA has made certain exemptions where metropolitan area's cover two or more states...

sources:

http://web1.ctaa.org/webmodules/webarticles/articlefiles/FMCSA_MythsAndRealities_20100713.pdf

http://web1.ctaa.org/webmodules/webarticles/articlefiles/Texas_FMCSA_issues.pdf

"Though somewhat confusing anotherlist of cities is provided elsewhere in the regulations, in Appendix F
to subpart B of Part 390. Though there is much overlap with the cities mentioned in the lists set out
above,there are additional cities listed. Each of these areas is defined in detail within Appendix F.
Los Angeles, Calif., and contiguous and adjacentmunicipalities
Philadelphia, Pa.
Cincinnati,Ohio
Boston, Mass.
Commercial zones of municipalities in New Jersey within 5 miles of New York,N.Y.
Commercial zones of municipalities in Westchester and Nassau Counties,N.Y.,
Tucson, Ariz.
Albuquerque,N. Mex.
Detroit, Mich.
New Orleans, La.
Portland,Ore.
Vancouver, Wash.
Memphis, Tenn.
Houston, Tex.
Pueblo, Colo.
Louisville, Ky.
Sioux City, Iowa
MetropolitanGovernment ofNashville andDavidson County, Tenn.
Consolidated City ofIndianapolis, Ind.
Lexington‐FayetteUrban County, Ky."

I still don't think this CT shuttle would be covered by the exemption, I didn't read the whole thing but it seems a whole different animal than what the exemption allows.  If someone wants point out how the exemption covers the CT shuttle, please do.

As far as this exception where these buses would be exempt because the passengers are in CT and not moved across a state line, please post it for me.  I've never heard off this, the bus is still crossing state lines and does not seem to fall under the exemption.  

Edited by Burrstone

I still don't think this CT shuttle would be covered by the exemption, I didn't read the whole thing but it seems a whole different animal than what the exemption allows.  If someone wants point out how the exemption covers the CT shuttle, please do.

As far as this exception where these buses would be exempt because the passengers are in CT and not moved across a state line, please post it for me.  I've never heard off this, the bus is still crossing state lines and does not seem to fall under the exemption.  

The buses cross state lines not in service with no passengers on board. Passengers travel within CT only.

I should mention that MTA Bus/NYCT ran shuttle service on the Port Jervis Line from Ramsey, NJ (absolutely more than 5 miles from the city of New York) all the way up to Port Jervis, carrying passengers across the state line. Don't know why that wasn't considered NJ Transit's responsibility since they operate the line, but that's what the MTA did.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

The buses cross state lines not in service with no passengers on board. Passengers travel within CT only.

Show me where that matters?  From everything I've heard and read it doesn't matter if passengers cross states lines it's that a ​commercial motor vehicle crosses state lines.  I can drive a truck to CT and violate FMCSA with just myself in it because I crossed state lines in a CMV.

This is why any company transporting any sort of bus has a placard with the company name, location, and DOT number taped in the window on each side, bc the driver and company would get nailed by the DOT or cops.  Believe me they will nail someone without a placard taped in the window, they started cracking down on that last summer.

If what you are saying is true no company transporting buses would  have to invest in DOT number and operating authority, because it's just the bus being transported over state lines with no passengers on it.  

I'm not trying to argue about this, but if it's the law, I'd love to see it.

I should mention that MTA Bus/NYCT ran shuttle service on the Port Jervis Line from Ramsey, NJ (absolutely more than 5 miles from the city of New York) all the way up to Port Jervis, carrying passengers across the state line. Don't know why that wasn't considered NJ Transit's responsibility since they operate the line, but that's what the MTA did.

What I posted was not the only exception, just a subsection where NJ was mentioned.  There are exceptions based on how big the metro area is, how big the area s out of state...  If I remember correctly it goes up to 20 miles (not air miles), so it could be part of the exception.

But these shuttles don't seem to be part of the exception.  

...and just because it has been done in the past for whatever reason doesn't make it legal...

For all we know an order was signed making an exception for the service?

Difference as far as what?? Engines? Signage??  :huh:

the whole 9 yards.. engines and what ever else there is

Edited by BreeddekalbL

There are contractors on standby for shuttle service at LIRR and MNR, but MTA can send out NYCT/MTAB in addition to or instead of them as they see fit. Obviously some contractors were brought in here, but the bulk of the work is being done by NYCT and MTA Bus.

Few weeks ago I believe the Hempstead branch of the LIRR was out/skipping stations in Queens, and Baisley Park was running that shuttle and not one of the contractors.

Then what's the point of them then? IIRC, they get paid a fixed amount no matter how often they're pulled out, so why not use them as much as possible?

lol... Don't be ridiculous...  <_<

im not. like whats the difference between the 102dlw3ss, and the d4500's including the CT and CL and regular D4500...  in terms of specs

Well, down here in Atlanta, we will receive new NFI XDE/XN40 buses. We have not received new buses since 2010, but I say replace the Orion VII's CNG(2101-2190) and not our 1996-2001 NFI C40LF's (2701-3000). They are not worth the tires they sit on.

• Upvote 1