BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Basically the height of the underpasses along 66th Street & 72nd Street are at under 10 feet, which is technically too low for the Orion Vii's, at around 10'6".

*Contrary to the statement, Not in Service Orion Vii's have used both 66th Street and 72nd Street on different occasions, as seen in the video below, courtesy of Cait Sith.

Some more info in the thread linked below.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34079-why-is-the-rts-the-only-type-of-bus-that-is-used-on-the-m66-and-m72/

Good to know... every non arctic route based out of MJQ has Orions on them to some extent... I always wondered why the M66 and M72 were RTS exclusive

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen a lot of pickups at the dropoff stop, but I'm not sure if that's protocol.

Kinda like Queens Plaza on the 62, even the ops have no idea which is which.

funny you bring that up..... I take the 62 a lot after coming from queens (don't do the whole riding the subway through manhattan thing to get back to brooklyn much anymore), and I've gotten into the habit of just walking over to the jackson av stop (it's that shared stop w/ the Q67, you know the deal), instead of waiting over there across the street from that corner store - opposite the Q66, Q69 stops over there (which is supposed to be the first B62 pickup stop)....

You're right, there are some b/o's on the B62 that make the first pickup on that same jackson av stop I'm referring to.... Some B62's are even laying over there now.... It's a longer walk from after getting off the (7), but that's what I've gotten into the recent habit of doing now....

Edited by B35 via Church

Need a lil help from the fam.... Quick question....

What exactly is the first pick up (meaning, first Bronx bound passenger) stop for the Bx11,13, 35, & 36?

- Is the first pick up stop, the same as the last dropoff stop along 179th b/w ft washington & broadway...

- Or is the first pick up stop over there across the street from the fort washington av entrance to the GWB terminal (ft washington b/w 178th & 179th)....

I do know that the sign at the terminal says "GWB" but I'm not very sure if that's the first pick up going back to the Bronx... I don't remember a stop on fort Washington itself between 178th and 179th but I know there is a stop on 178th near FT Washington... If I were you, I'd wait at the 178th stop...

Sorry I can't give you an exact answer bro...

I do know that the sign at the terminal says "GWB" but I'm not very sure if that's the first pick up going back to the Bronx... I don't remember a stop on fort Washington itself between 178th and 179th but I know there is a stop on 178th near FT Washington... If I were you, I'd wait at the 178th stop...

Sorry I can't give you an exact answer bro...

No worries, it was somethin I was curious about... b/c as MHV pointed out, I too also have seen ppl. board at that last dropoff stop....

But I've also been denied boarding at that last dropoff stop in the past....

I usually wait over there by where the M5 last stop is (over there on 178th b/w broadway & wadsworth) for whichever bus I wanna (or need to) take towards the bronx from there... I don't ever wait at the stops along 181st unless I'm coming off the M101....

It seems like the bus-fanning world is about to become boring... No Bees, no Orion V CNGs, most (if not all) Old C40LFs will be retired. It feels like the time when R42s went to Jamaica and 207/Pitkin yards when they were all being retired, after most of the SMEEs were gone the subway system became pretty boring.

Good to know... every non arctic route based out of MJQ has Orions on them to some extent... I always wondered why the M66 and M72 were RTS exclusive

It's mostly because they want to prevent certain damage to the hybrids, they sway when they round the curve along the underpass so the batteries tend to scrape against the corners.

It's mostly because they want to prevent certain damage to the hybrids, they sway when they round the curve along the underpass so the batteries tend to scrape against the corners.

Those RTS's can't run forever... I was on one on the M57 the other night... Not out of MJQ obviously but still looked like some work had been done on it and like it's time for it to be retired soon... What are they going to do when those RTS's are retired??

Those RTS's can't run forever... I was on one on the M57 the other night... Not out of MJQ obviously but still looked like some work had been done on it and like it's time for it to be retired soon... What are they going to do when those RTS's are retired??

well, hopefully they split that 600 bus order between nova and new flyer. That way They'll have a decent low clearance bus for such situations.

well, hopefully they split that 600 bus order between nova and new flyer. That way They'll have a decent low clearance bus for such situations.

Those would have to be Novas, they ran an Xcelsior out on the M66 one morning a while ago, word has it that the top right corner of the bus kept scraping against the wall since those buses sway so easily

Edited by Cait Sith

Those would have to be Novas, they ran an Xcelsior out on the M66 one morning a while ago, word has it that the top right corner of the bus kept scraping against the wall since those buses sway so easily

I'm just amazed that they can't get these buses more customized.  For what each bus costs, they should be able to deliver buses that can clear that overpass.  Those buses are like almost half the price of one of the most customized cars out there in the Bugatti.