BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The S40 was a victim to service cuts not lack of ridership. The 20-minute headways are unnecessary though, either run the bus every 15 minutes or every 30 minutes. The schedule on the 20 minutes has two out of three buses missing the ferry by a couple of minutes while on Sundays every bus is correctly timed.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/staten/s040cur.pdf

Well, I wouldn't say the ones that arrive on the :15s miss it by "a few minutes", but 15 minutes is a little excessive for a connection time.

When dealing with a transit system, similar to the way you deal with a machine, connections should be tight, but not too tight (or else you end up missing them). Ideally, you should be able to get a bus that arrives within 5-10 minutes of the ferry departure, depending on how reliable the route is. (Of course, it varies on the specific route. With a long, traffic-prone route like the S78, you just have to hope traffic isn't too bad and allow the extra time yourself).

It's not always about making ferry connections. Why have buses run 15 minutes if they carry very little people? They arent even that crowded with the current headways anyway.

Very little people is an exaggeration. Midday buses have at least a seated load most of the time, and I've definitely been on my share of SRO buses. 15 minute headways would mean that, at worst, they would have 3/4 of a seated load. (And considering that it would be easier to catch the ferry, plus the increased frequencies in general, that would likely increase ridership).

As far as I'm concerned, scheduling of routes in Staten Island shouldn't be based exclusively around the ferry schedule.

Not exclusively, but it should be taken into consideration. The S40 has a high percentage of riders bound for the ferry (routes like the S46 & S48 have more people using it within Staten Island), so the connections should be timed well as a result.

I mean, for the most part, it would mean one extra bus per hour (during middays, so it's not a peak bus). It's not going to break the bank, and ridership would probably increase enough that the costs are close to nothing.

Not to double post, but just a random minute thing...why do buses get delivered with a different font of number than the MTA stocks? They come in Helvetica or something, I read that once, but then repaints get a different style. Never got that.

I have no idea why, either. The MTA has done this for a long time (back when the MTA replaced the serif numbered font with the condensed Helvetica typeface in the mid-1990s). Then to make it worse, the condensed Helvetica numbers are often poorly aligned and kerned. Even when I was a young kid, it's something that always annoyed me, because it makes the bus's presentations look very sloppy.

And on a different subject, the Queens Bus Map and schedule have been updated! Three changes with the map:

1. The (A) past Howard Beach and (S) are back in service.

2. The (A) shuttle and (H) are no longer on the map.

3. Part-time, summer-only service for the Q22 and Q35 are added. These two routes enter Jacob Riis Park during the summer only, and there's a small caption underneath the part-time symbols.

Edited by RTS CNG Command

I have no idea why, either. The MTA has done this for a long time (back when the MTA replaced the serif numbered font with the condensed Helvetica typeface in the mid-1990s). Then to make it worse, the condensed Helvetica numbers are often poorly aligned and kerned. Even when I was a young kid, it's something that always annoyed me, because it makes the bus's presentations look very sloppy.

LOL... Maybe Blitz can shed some light on this topic because it annoys the hell out of me as well and I agree that looks very sloppy and unprofessional considering that it's supposed to be done by "professionals"...

And on a different subject, the Queens Bus Map and schedule have been updated! Three changes with the map:

1. The (A) past Howard Beach and (S) are back in service.

2. The (A) shuttle and (H) are no longer on the map.

3. Part-time, summer-only service for the Q22 and Q35 are added. These two routes enter Jacob Riis Park during the summer only, and there's a small caption underneath the part-time symbols.

And still there are errors on the map. The Q42 still doesn't have a pentagon symbol

All that construction by the SI Mall is causing a mess. Last week, the S44/59/79/94 were staying on Richmond and bypassing the Macy's stop (they only went in/out of Ring Road for the Sears stop). Then Monday, the S79 driver (mall-bound) says that he's supposed to stay on Richmond and drop off at certain intersections, but then I see an S79 Brooklyn-bound along Ring Road.

Then today, buses aren't serving Ring Road at all, and people have to cross Richmond Avenue (which is like 14 lanes wide at that point) to get to/from the southbound buses. And northbound, people are waiting on Ring Road and missing their bus because it's stopping on Richmond Avenue (just north of Platinum).

All of this could've been avoided if the MTA implemented my plan to have buses use the back of Ring Road instead of the front. Buses would've been stopping at their regular stops, and people wouldn't have to cross Richmond Avenue.

And then of course, there's the Yukon Avenue construction, which causes a smaller amount of confusion (S59s apparently still take Yukon in both directions, because I saw a southbound bus, but S44s & S61s go counterclockwise on Independence Avenue, then Yukon). 

Just saw an artic 1004 on the Q35 (in service) up Flatbush av. Sides still signed up for JFK. Now if only they can put more artics on the line during the PM rush :)

Save for summer service to riis beach (esp. weekends), I don't get throwing artics on the Q35 at all....

Just saw an artic 1004 on the Q35 (in service) up Flatbush av. Sides still signed up for JFK. Now if only they can put more artics on the line during the PM rush :)

How the hell do they make that loop turn at Beach 169 (The stop before the bridge) with the D60s? I don't think you can go down that street...

How the hell do they make that loop turn at Beach 169 (The stop before the bridge) with the D60s? I don't think you can go down that street...

Turn wheel left and floor it? They've been doing operator training through Riis Park and artics have popped up numerous times on the Q35, so I think they can make the turnaround with no problem.