BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wanted to fan the full M9 from BPC yesterday morning.... Don't know why I was under the impression that service started earlier than I thought it did, but I ended up basically walking the full M9 route.... Happened to see some team of some sort setting up their kayak (or canoe) & what not, over there on liberty/south end in BPC.... BPC on weekends has an eerie quietness to it, can't really explain it....

The older ones (D60's) are the best ones. These new 1's, they just make noise Lol

I beg to differ, they were slow as sh*t.  The only good ones I remember driving were 5294, 5296 (fast but would not stop, had extremely long brakes), 5463 (same problem as 5296), 5477, 5491 and 5497 off the top of my head.  5301 and 5478 were the WORST of the crop, talk about NO power.  I really wish NF didn't change articulated joint as the old ATG joint had a nice turning radius of 41' (although some feel like they turn much tighter) compared to the 44' radius on the new Hubner joints found on the LFSA and XD60.

Edited by youngblaze

I beg to differ, they were slow as sh*t.  The only good ones I remember driving were 5294, 5296 (fast but would not stop, had extremely long brakes), 5463 (same problem as 5296), 5477, 5491 and 5497 off the top of my head.  5301 and 5478 were the WORST of the crop, talk about NO power.  I really wish NF didn't change articulated joint as the old ATG joint had a nice turning radius of 41' (although some feel like they turn much tighter) compared to the 44' radius on the new Hubner joints found on the LFSA and XD60.

Aaaaaaaaaand they still are! LOL!

Rode the Bx46 yesterday. I was the only one on the bus. I definitely see a westward extension to Yankee Stadium.

I also didn't know that the 6 and 46 make the same path in Hunts Point.

So they changed the Bx6's path in hunts point now.....

Before, it used to run on halleck & then turn onto food center dr, to terminate on ryawa at halleck....

Do Bx6's now run down to halleck to turn at ryawa onto food center dr?

So they changed the Bx6's path in hunts point now.....

Before, it used to run on halleck & then turn onto food center dr, to terminate on ryawa at halleck....

Do Bx6's now run down to halleck to turn at ryawa onto food center dr?

That is correct. I thought it was an error by DOT, but after looking at 2 Bx6's going straight down Halleck as opposed to turning left on Food Center, I caught on that this is the new path.

Today I went to Orchard Beach on the local Bx12. There was only limited through service from Fordham heading towards the beach in the morning (about 10am it was 3 or 4 Pelham Bay buses to 1 Orchard Beach bus- I only knew that because I was waiting for someone and they showed up right when an Orchard bus pulled away), yet there was no through service at all coming back.

Yeah... the dispatcher and the B/O's-turned-platform C/R's (bus conductors?) were announcing that there was no Fordham service and all buses were only going to Pelham Bay (about 6pm).

Too bad there's no public timetables and Bustime is useless because these Beach trips don't show up there.

Also, Orchard Beach stop operations are pretty much Subway-style to the bone: Everyone swiped in through the turnstiles with the NYPD present, and they only board one bus at a time. They used to board two at a time according to one of the platform B/O's but they received an order to only board one bus at a time.

Edited by paulrivera

Found this about proposals the city had towards the private bus lines in the early 2000's (has all proposals)

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/dotbusrsra_3.pdf

Didnt know where to put it, so I left it here.

Queens proposals thread you could've put this in...

Anyway, yeah, I have this very PDF saved (smh at some of the proposals)....

Queens proposals thread you could've put this in...

Anyway, yeah, I have this very PDF saved (smh at some of the proposals)....

lol. Some were kinda out of the blue. 

Anyways, this is of a part of the former express bus map (includes those former specials), even though it had to deal with the same proposal listed on top

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/dotbusrsra_2.pdf

lol. Some were kinda out of the blue.

Anyways, this is of a part of the former express bus map (includes those former specials), even though it had to deal with the same proposal listed on top

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/dotbusrsra_2.pdf

I miss Jamaica Buses, Queens Surface and Green Bus Lines

The B6 goes nowhere near CI Hospital. And also the Via 86th Street, that's what the B1 should say.

The sign was broken and it was in fact a B1...

That small part of the sign was stuck on B6 but the rest of the sign was working perfectly well, scrolling and everything so it pretty much was saying...

B6 MANHATTN BCH

KINGSBORO CC

via 86 ST

Guest Charles

how does the q59 turn at 63rd drive i always wondered?

Makes a U-Turn from Queens Blvd main road E/B to the W/B service road at 63 Drive and lays over at the stop right past Junction Blvd. It's a pretty iffy spot, tbh.