BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

your gonna give ******** ideas based on your observations... too bad you haven't seen his ideas of convert this line to sbs convert that line to ltd stop service etc

This post is rather instigatory.

Of course he's seen them.... How can he not....

I'm just stating an observation. Nothing more...

lol....

It may not have been for anyone to come up with any bright ideas, but surely you resorted to making a post about seeing a bus with 3 riders on it, for a reason....

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol....

It may not have been for anyone to come up with any bright ideas, but surely you resorted to making a post about seeing a bus with 3 riders on it, for a reason....

It's not just an observation. He's been complaining about there being too much express bus service for QM1, QM5 and QM6 riders, which I disagree with.

Usually see 7-9 people on the qm1/5/6 combinations during the middle of the day.

Are you say that for each individual , or Together  (I assume your'e talking about together).

This post is rather instigatory.

Of course he's seen them.... How can he not....

lol....

It's not just an observation. He's been complaining about there being too much express bus service for QM1, QM5 and QM6 riders, which I disagree with.

What I'm trying to say is that the QM1 out of the three, tends to preform the lowest middays, because it route isnt so long, and it runs close along the QM5 and QM6. I'm not trying to convert it to an Open door limited or just make it a Q46 Branch. 

What I'm trying to say is that the QM1 out of the three, tends to preform the lowest middays, because it route isnt so long, and it runs close along the QM5 and QM6. I'm not trying to convert it to an Open door limited or just make it a Q46 Branch. 

The QM1 only runs weekdays first off. Second, after 09:40, it runs once every hour to the city until about 16:40.  Are these people not supposed to have any transportation at all?? I mean give me a break already. It's like the areas with no subway service aren't supposed to get jack squat. 

People like to claim that they're for public transit yet they sit here and cry about the little hourly service that the QM1 has middays.  It's a simple analogy.  If you want people to use public transit, you make the service accessible by running tolerable headways, otherwise there is no point in running it.

MetroNorth agreed to provide service to us every 30 minutes after rush hour and while they realize that they won't see tons of people using it at the Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil stations, they also realize that it will take some cars off of the road and will allot for those who actually do use and need the service to have easier commutes.  You make it sound as if these people are living the life with a bus that shows up once an hour compared to those with subway service with trains every 10 minutes or more.  It's a certain type of lifestyle that we signed up for, but goddamn, let us at least have the little crumbs that we do have because we have lives too and just because we decide to live in more suburban areas doesn't mean that we don't have things to do and don't want to do them using public transit.

Now of course the people that have the QM1, QM5 and QM6 have more than hourly service, but sometimes things happen and it really is great to not have to wait an hour if you for some reason can't make the bus you originally wanted.  That's why they have service set up that way so that these people have decent transportation to the city, and they should just like other communities do.  Most of Queens and Staten Island in particular are the most needy of express bus service and you of all people should know that.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1.The QM1 only runs weekdays first off.

2.Second, after 09:40, it runs once every hour to the city until about 16:40.  Are these people not supposed to have any transportation at all?? I mean give me a break already. It's like the areas with no subway service aren't supposed to get jack squat. 

3. People like to claim that they're for public transit yet you sit here and cry about the little hourly service that the QM1 has middays.  It's a simple analogy.  If you want people to use public transit, you make the service accessible by running tolerable headways, otherwise there is no point in running it.

4.MetroNorth agreed to provide service to us every 30 minutes after rush hour and while they realize that they won't see tons of people using it, they also realize that it will take some cars off of the road and will allot for those who actually do use and need the service to have easier commutes.  You make it sound as if these people are living the life with a bus that shows up once an hour compared to those with subway service with trains every 10 minutes or more.  It's a certain type of lifestyle that we signed up for, but goddamn, let us at least have the little crumbs that we do have because we have lives too and just because we decide to live in more suburban areas doesn't mean that we don't have things to do and don't want to do them using public transit.

1. I'm talking it's midday segment when the QM5 is 30 minutes, and the QM6 60 minutes (last time I checked that was the frequencies for the buses midday hours)

2. Now, it runs every 30 minutes until about 13:00, then every hour (with some 30-40 minute gaps here and there) until 23:00. Going back it's every 30 minutes from the start of service back to the start of rush hour.

3. The QM5 already has 30 minute headways and basically runs along most of the course of the QM1, while the QM1 has 60 minute headways. What are they gonna opt for, the 30 minute headways, or the 60 minute one.

4. I'm not saying they're living the life. Fresh Meadows (for the most part) is a very nice neighborhood, and isn't as suburban as Glen Oaks and Nassau County. The QM6 I understand it's for coverage and what not. The QM1/5 congruency part is what I'm trying to address isn't as efficent as it would be.

BTW Look at the old QM1A/QM1 Schedule and tell me that the early midday bus arent running minutes apart (the QM1A's )

http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm001acur.pdf

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

1. I'm talking it's midday segment when the QM5 is 30 minutes, and the QM6 60 minutes (last time I checked that was the frequencies for the buses midday hours)

2. Now, it runs every 30 minutes until about 13:00, then every hour (with some 30-40 minute gaps here and there) until 23:00. Going back it's every 30 minutes from the start of service back to the start of rush hour.

3. The QM5 already has 30 minute headways and basically runs along most of the course of the QM1, while the QM1 has 60 minute headways. What are they gonna opt for, the 30 minute headways, or the 60 minute one.

4. I'm not saying they're living the life. Fresh Meadows (for the most part) is a very nice neighborhood, and isn't as suburban as Glen Oaks and Nassau County. The QM6 I understand it's for coverage and what not. The QM1/5 congruency part is what I'm trying to address isn't as efficent as it would be.

BTW Look at the old QM1A/QM1 Schedule and tell me that the early midday bus arent running minutes apart (the QM1A's )

http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm001acur.pdf

Yeah, but I stated that I'm well aware that those who have access to the QM1, QM5 and QM6 have service much more frequently than an hour. As I said before it's set up that way on purpose.  It's similar to the BM's.  Those who have access to the BM1, BM3 and BM4 can get service roughly every 10 minutes during some parts of Saturday.  Here in Riverdale, during the midday we have service every 15 minutes between the BxM1 and BxM2, which is roughly what we would have if we had a subway line and that's the way it should be.

Riders with access between the QM1, QM5 and QM6 have a bus roughly every 12 - 15 minutes during the middays, which is about right.  When you need to get to the city, you take what comes first.  This morning I took the BxM2, but had a BxM1 come I would've used that because I just wanted to get to the office as quickly as possible.  People already know how much time each route takes roughly and where they can go with each one so most are not necessarily bound to one bus.  There's a guy that I see on the BxM18 at night. He uses the BxM1 and BxM2 in the morning just like I do and then he transfers to the subway more than likely to get Downtown. Just a question of where he has to get off with each bus.  Same thing with me.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

The thing is you have an actually ridership base outside the trunk, in your case, and the the BM's case. No problem. The QM1, has only about several stops to pick-up before ts almost empty because of the QM5. That's not enough to recompensate. The QM5/6 do better, because they serve an actual ridership on middays. I don't even know if any QM1 riders middays come from Fresh Meadows.

The thing is you have an actually ridership base outside the trunk, in your case, and the the BM's case. No problem. The QM1, has only about several stops to pick-up before ts almost empty because of the QM5. That's not enough to recompensate. The QM5/6 do better, because they serve an actual ridership on middays. I don't even know if any QM1 riders middays come from Fresh Meadows.

Having the QM1, QM5 and QM6 as separate routes allows the (MTA) to study ridership patterns on all three routes. Quite frankly I don't see the big deal. For the 1,000 time each express bus line is reviewed every 3 months to check ridership patterns.  Cuts are made where necessary.

It's not just an observation......

Of course it wasn't.....

This hardly quantifies as "just stating an observation" - which is essentially what I was getting at....

I just wanted you to come out & admit it.

You saying you saw a QM1 with 3 riders on it during the midday, was you trying to portray how lowly used it is around that particular time of the day..... 

Nobody's accusing you of trying to convert anything, Q23.... But you've long been coming up with suggestions that involve tinkering with the union tpke expresses somehow, and not for the better either... I didn't forget your suggestion of combining the QM7/8... You also alluded to cutting service on the QM5 & QM6..... Now here you are pretty much implicating that the midday QM1 be eliminated......

Quite frankly, with this whole issue/hangup you have w/ the union tpke. expresses, I think you're putting too much stock in the fact that the routes were renumerated/broken up into what they are today... It's looking more & more like you're trying to consolidate express bus service - The same thing you tried to do w/ the BM's a while back (even though you later said you abandoned that particular idea that involved that).....

Face it man, the days of (the setup of) the QM1/a are gone.....

First i would like to say its my bad if my post about ******** came out as instagorty i didn't mean for it to come that way.

Secondly i think in that case have them decrease the headways but now that i look at it since the headways are at 60 minutes outside of rush hours, whats the goal? to get more riders etc or something else?

Of course it wasn't.....

This hardly quantifies as "just stating an observation" - which is essentially what I was getting at....

I just wanted you to come out & admit it.

You saying you saw a QM1 with 3 riders on it during the midday, was you trying to portray how lowly used it is around that particular time of the day.....

Nobody's accusing you of trying to convert anything, Q23.... But you've long been coming up with suggestions that involve tinkering with the union tpke expresses somehow, and not for the better either... I didn't forget your suggestion of combining the QM7/8... You also alluded to cutting service on the QM5 & QM6..... Now here you are pretty much implicating that the midday QM1 be eliminated......

It may give off a stint, but Im wasn't suggesting anything. Seeing the QM1 everyday like that makes me think if anything can be done about because te original point I was trying to te across was that this route might end up being a replica of some common known hit hard queens express bus route (QM10, QM12, and quite frankly, the QM10 had QM1 level ridership, and nothing is left but rush hour).

It may give off a stint, but Im wasn't suggesting anything. Seeing the QM1 everyday like that makes me think if anything can be done about because te original point I was trying to te across was that this route might end up being a replica of some common known hit hard queens express bus route (QM10, QM12, and quite frankly, the QM10 had QM1 level ridership, and nothing is left but rush hour).

Because the QM10 got hit hard with the recession. It saw a major decline and continues to decline.

For one, the QM10 serves a much narrower riderbase than the QM1 does, so why even bother to make that comparison....

You just want to find a reason for combining the midday QM1's with the QM5.

This has been something thats been in my head for so long, but does anyone know when 7088 will return to service? Been like 8months already.

That bus isn't even in New York anymore, hasn't had a sip since October. Last time I saw it I was on the A shuttle at the beginning of November and I saw it at the vendor. It's getting work done, I heard they're gonna change the transmission but let's just wait and see. Should be back between now & no later than August I guess.

That bus isn't even in New York anymore, hasn't had a sip since October. Last time I saw it I was on the A shuttle at the beginning of November and I saw it at the vendor. It's getting work done, I heard they're gonna change the transmission but let's just wait and see. Should be back between now & no later than August I guess.

But what exactly happened in the first place?

Is it up in Oriskany or what?

For one, the QM10 serves a much narrower riderbase than the QM1 does, so why even bother to make that comparison....

You just want to find a reason for combining the midday QM1's with the QM5.

The thing is, if the former QM10 can have the same ridership for less hours, and serve a more centric area than the QM1, then thats a problem. 

Because the QM10 got hit hard with the recession. It saw a major decline and continues to decline.

Yeah. BTW what are the headways on the 11, because it's been seeing an increase an it's been running every 10 minutes rush hours based on what I've seen (the QM10 is been running every 20 minutes from my observations), and before it ran every 20 minutes.

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

The thing is, if the former QM10 can have the same ridership for less hours, and serve a more centric area than the QM1, then thats a problem.

I got that particular point the first time you posted it & it isn't any more profound now that you've repeated it...

I'm dismissing this whole bit about the QM10 because it is nothing more than a smokescreen.....

The basis of your stance is predicated around the fact that the QM1 "runs close along the QM5 and QM6"....

I don't know what is making you think that consolidation would be anymore beneficial than how current service is set up.... If anything, it would give the mta a reason to consider trimming midday service on the resulting QM1/5 combo.... You seem to be of the assumption that if the midday QM1 were to be combined with the QM5, the current service that the QM1 gets would be retained b/c it would be under the umbrella (so to speak) of the QM5 (which has a larger catchment area coming from the east)....

I'll put it in laymen's.... The way you'd try to keep service around for QM1 midday riders would open up the door for QM5 midday riders to possibly have some sort of service reduction.... This is simply passing the buck....

Yo whats good with the stairs of bumps at Bay Street & Nick Laporte Place in Shaolin Lannd??

lmaoo feels like your walking down stairs with your butt

lmao !

I believe so, most likely yeah. It's not here I know that for sure.. It left here around November - December.

Dunno.

I could've sworn that's the bus whose engine went boom. Was it both engine and transmission?

Was on a B82 LTD today (hybrid). The front sign of course said LIMITED in the usual big-ass bright orange, but it didn't have the little magic "Limited" sign on the bottom. You can guess the shitshow that ensued. I give up on humanity.

Edited by Culver