BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

The thing is, if the former QM10 can have the same ridership for less hours, and serve a more centric area than the QM1, then thats a problem.

I got that particular point the first time you posted it & it isn't any more profound now that you've repeated it...

I'm dismissing this whole bit about the QM10 because it is nothing more than a smokescreen.....

The basis of your stance is predicated around the fact that the QM1 "runs close along the QM5 and QM6"....

I don't know what is making you think that consolidation would be anymore beneficial than how current service is set up.... If anything, it would give the mta a reason to consider trimming midday service on the resulting QM1/5 combo.... You seem to be of the assumption that if the midday QM1 were to be combined with the QM5, the current service that the QM1 gets would be retained b/c it would be under the umbrella (so to speak) of the QM5 (which has a larger catchment area coming from the east)....

I'll put it in laymen's.... The way you'd try to keep service around for QM1 midday riders would open up the door for QM5 midday riders to possibly have some sort of service reduction.... This is simply passing the buck....

Yo whats good with the stairs of bumps at Bay Street & Nick Laporte Place in Shaolin Lannd??

lmaoo feels like your walking down stairs with your butt

lmao !

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe so, most likely yeah. It's not here I know that for sure.. It left here around November - December.

Dunno.

I could've sworn that's the bus whose engine went boom. Was it both engine and transmission?

Was on a B82 LTD today (hybrid). The front sign of course said LIMITED in the usual big-ass bright orange, but it didn't have the little magic "Limited" sign on the bottom. You can guess the shitshow that ensued. I give up on humanity.

Edited by Culver

I could've sworn that's the bus whose engine went boom. Was it both engine and transmission?

Was on a B82 LTD today (hybrid). The front sign of course said LIMITED in the usual big-ass bright orange, but it didn't have the little magic "Limited" sign on the bottom. You can guess the shitshow that ensued. I give up on humanity.

Think so, I heard the engine went too. But it don't take that long to replace a damn engine. It's been 8 going on 9 months in a couple of days.. Don't take that long... Or does it?

Saw an Orion V CNG on the Q65LTD. Why are the Orion V CNG's still being used CP has enough buses for them to fully be retired?

You're lucky...

I believe its due to LGAs shortage since they still run those buses on LGA routes. I believe a few are completly reserved for LGA such as 9889 and 9899 since they're on LGA routes every weekday, other than that they could be rush hour buses.

Think so, I heard the engine went too. But it don't take that long to replace a damn engine. It's been 8 going on 9 months in a couple of days.. Don't take that long... Or does it?

I would imagine that they had to do an investigation to ensure that the damage to the engine was indeed a factory defect and not just carelessness on our part. All that to make sure that they don't give us a free $100,000+ engine and transmission for no reason. But the actual process of removing and replacing the engine should take no more than 2 or three days if its the same kind of engine they took out in first place. If anything, they are waiting for all of the engine parts sent out for the investigation, to come back from the lab.

Saw an Orion V CNG on the Q65LTD. Why are the Orion V CNG's still being used CP has enough buses for them to fully be retired?

They're still here for LGA's shortage. And yes, I've seen Orion V CNGs on the Q65 as well

You're lucky...

I believe its due to LGAs shortage since they still run those buses on LGA routes. I believe a few are completly reserved for LGA such as 9889 and 9899 since they're on LGA routes every weekday, other than that they could be rush hour buses.

Um.......I saw 9899 on the Q65 once

I would imagine that they had to do an investigation to ensure that the damage to the engine was indeed a factory defect and not just carelessness on our part. All that to make sure that they don't give us a free $100,000+ engine and transmission for no reason. But the actual process of removing and replacing the engine should take no more than 2 or three days if its the same kind of engine they took out in first place. If anything, they are waiting for all of the engine parts sent out for the investigation, to come back from the lab.

Oh, I see.

I got that particular point the first time you posted it & it isn't any more profound now that you've repeated it...

I'm dismissing this whole bit about the QM10 because it is nothing more than a smokescreen.....

The basis of your stance is predicated around the fact that the QM1 "runs close along the QM5 and QM6"....

I don't know what is making you think that consolidation would be anymore beneficial than how current service is set up.... If anything, it would give the mta a reason to consider trimming midday service on the resulting QM1/5 combo.... You seem to be of the assumption that if the midday QM1 were to be combined with the QM5, the current service that the QM1 gets would be retained b/c it would be under the umbrella (so to speak) of the QM5 (which has a larger catchment area coming from the east)....

I'll put it in laymen's.... The way you'd try to keep service around for QM1 midday riders would open up the door for QM5 midday riders to possibly have some sort of service reduction.... This is simply passing the buck....

The (MTA) either gives you fat or cuts through the bone. There is no in between.  That's why I rarely support any cuts because once they cut it, they do not like putting back service and if they do they're very stingy with it.

The (MTA) either gives you fat or cuts through the bone. There is no in between. That's why I rarely support any cuts because once they cut it, they do not like putting back service and if they do they're very stingy with it.

Just like Little Neck... Those people had weekday and Saturday service at 20 to 30 minutes. Now it's strictly 30 minutes and weekdays. Another example is the Q76 with its 30 minute service all day so you are out of luck if you miss those buses by a minute or two. I just wish the (MTA) would cut extra service that is not need and try to improve other routes. I have always wished that the Q25 and Q65 had more LTD service but the MTA doesn't care if buses are packed and ridership is increasing they rather make routes like the B32 and Bx46 which are duplicates and have low ridership. The reason the QM10/QM11 doesn't have good service is because they serve an area where there are many ways to get to the city faster.

I just wish the (MTA) would cut extra service that is not need and try to improve other routes. I have always wished that the Q25 and Q65 had more LTD service but the MTA doesn't care if buses are packed.

The Q25 and Q65 aren't even that packed leaving Jamaica. My thing is that LTD trips should start earlier

The Q25 and Q65 aren't even that packed leaving Jamaica. My thing is that LTD trips should start earlier

I take them almost every single day I know that onces they leave hillside they are crowded.

The service should be in the afternoon from 2:30-8:00PM. I been on many buses from both Jamaica and Flushing after 6:30 where the buses were slow and packed. Ridership is increasing fast and that Q34 doesn't really help with its 20 minute headways for most of the day except off peak.

Just like Little Neck... Those people had weekday and Saturday service at 20 to 30 minutes. Now it's strictly 30 minutes and weekdays. Another example is the Q76 with its 30 minute service all day so you are out of luck if you miss those buses by a minute or two. I just wish the (MTA) would cut extra service that is not need and try to improve other routes. I have always wished that the Q25 and Q65 had more LTD service but the MTA doesn't care if buses are packed and ridership is increasing they rather make routes like the B32 and Bx46 which are duplicates and have low ridership. The reason the QM10/QM11 doesn't have good service is because they serve an area where there are many ways to get to the city faster.

Well the communities that remain quiet are the ones that will lose their service.  The vocal communities will keep their service.

Today was fun riding with my B/O friend. We ended up running his 5:10 PM trip on the S44 light since the bus had an interlock issue in which A supervisor came and fixed the issue and then our 6:30 S91 trip was pretty fast.

On another note, the eagle teams in Staten Island were pulling off lots of people of buses including 2 that I witnessed.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

I don't think we have the orange "Limited" signs out here on Staten Island (the little ones on the windshield). The big-ass sign in the front is more than enough.

When you're dealing with 30 minute headways, most people try to time themselves for the bus, so hopefully they don't miss it by a minute or two. That's not something unique to the Q76.

Not to mention the Q76 got brand-new Sunday service, and I'm pretty sure the 30 minute Saturday headways were the same ones it had before it was cut.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

I take them almost every single day I know that onces they leave hillside they are crowded.

I do too, primarily the Q65 LTD around 3-5PM, the only times when the bus gets really packed is if one of more Q65s are late arriving to Sutphin. Often times, its mostly a fully-seated load. It's never that bad with the standing crowd unless one or two buses are late.

I meant to add that yesterday, just my luck, I missed the 5:00 ferry (the guy basically shut the door in our faces), and then with the 5:15 ferry, the connecting S92 was an S62 instead. Well, at least it went all the way to Travis (and we actually got ahead of the S91 that we departed with. The last we saw of it was at the terminal itself). 

Phew, at least that construction by the SI Mall is over (the part by Ring Road, anyway). At least we don't have to cross some 14-lane street (Richmond Avenue) to get to the mall.  <_<

I do too, primarily the Q65 LTD around 3-5PM, the only times when the bus gets really packed is if one of more Q65s are late arriving to Sutphin. Often times, its mostly a fully-seated load. It's never that bad with the standing crowd unless one or two buses are late.

Yeah lateness is a big problem with CP routes. 617 was having troubles with its lift and was out of service for 10 minutes. That bus was very crowded and all the people had to crowd onto the Q25 and Q34 behind it. A couple of months ago 189, 223 and a 555 had problems with the doors and so on and were pulled out of service. Looks like CP's C40's are taking a real beating.

It helps out a lot, all that's needs to be done is extend the LTD hours and CP has to improve when it comes to being on time.

That's not a depot issue, that's a route issue

http://www.bensonhurstbean.com/2013/06/mta-says-x28-weekend-service-restoration-unlikely/ <----- x28 Update.

Edited by Cait Sith

lol.... Nobody said it was going to be easy... It took two years to get the X27 back on weekends and threats of a lawsuit. The (MTA) for years has been trying to find ways to gut express bus service in Southern Brooklyn.  The fight is far from over.  If anything these politicians need to explore every legal option possible and look into lawsuits to force them to restore that service. 

Low ridership... What a joke and a sorry excuse. 760 riders on the weekends is certainly enough riders to have at least hourly service on Saturdays and Sundays.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

lol.... Nobody said it was going to be easy... It took two years to get the X27 back on weekends and threats of a lawsuit. The (MTA) for years has been trying to find ways to gut express bus service in Southern Brooklyn.  The fight is far from over.  If anything these politicians need to explore every legal option possible and look into lawsuits to force them to restore that service. 

Low ridership... What a joke and a sorry excuse. 760 riders on the weekends is certainly enough riders to have at least hourly service on Saturdays and Sundays.

use the same tatic they got with the x27 and lawsuit..  and how long they have been demanding it for the x28?