BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I was on the M103 today and noticed how many more M101's there are than M102's or 103's. Why is that?

The M101 having more service than the 102 & the 103 I can understand...

It serves way more people, it's a LTD route,  and within & north of Harlem, it's utilized more than the 100...

Saying it another way, it's more popular than the 100 [along amsterdam & along 125th], and it's the most popular of the 3rd/lex routes....

The question I have is, why are there that many more 102's than 103's (that tend to arrive)....

Sucks having to see like 5-6 buses (sometimes it's worse than that) of which is a combination of 101's & 102's passing you by before a 103 comes...

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Demanding what?  The X27 and X28 were supposed to be restored together.  The (MTA) claimed that the funds weren't there to restore the X28 on weekends and also argued that the ridership was too low, which is complete BS. The X27 only gets roughly 300 more riders on the weekends, so if ridership was so terrible, the would've never provided the X17 stop at 86th street on the weekends.  This is just them trying to find a reason not to give in.  They've got the money now to restore some service and they're trying to find any excuse not to do so.

The X27 runs along Shore Rd which is nowhere near the (R) train.  Those along Shore Rd. have to take the slow and unreliable B16 to the slow and unreliable (R) and then another one or two transfers to complete their trips to Manhattan.  Those who live in Dyker Heights, Bath Beach and Bensonhurst and Sea Gate/Coney Island face similar commutes without the X28.  The issue here is how much balls do the politicians representing Southwest Brooklyn have to take a stance and put the heat on the (MTA).  I can assure you that all options will be explore to get this bus back on weekends.

One option that must considered is reaching out to the union at Ulmer Park to work with the community to restore the X28, similar to the way in which the X27 was restored.

i meant to say how long have you  been demanding the :bus_bullet_x27: be restored, if you did the same thing before with the :bus_bullet_x27: do it again with the :bus_bullet_x27:

also i believe there is a demand which i agree cause their logic is there is no demand just take (D)(F)(N)(Q) and we know the way the  (MTA) plays ball  i was taught by my dad the (MTA)  has different books  and the one we see is they are broke.

Edited by BreeddekalbL

i meant to say how long have you  been demanding the :bus_bullet_x27: be restored, if you did the same thing before with the :bus_bullet_x27: do it again with the :bus_bullet_x27:

also i believe there is a demand which i agree cause their logic is there is no demand just take (D)(F)(N)(Q) and we know the way the  (MTA) plays ball  i was taught by my dad the (MTA)  has different books  and the one we see is they are broke.

LOL... Well I communicated with various politicians regarding service restorations, one of the being Senator Golden.  The X27 was just one of many... Senator Golden's office and I have been in contact for over two years and he agreed that he would work to get several routes restored which was not an easy task, so he set out on the B2, B31, B64, X27 and X28.  The X28 doesn't run through his entire district, but since he serves Dyker Heights, he went to bat for it anyway.

We discussed several other routes like the BM3, BM4 and the B4.  We agreed that I would work on other routes as the BM3 and B4 don't run through his district entirely, so yeah, this X28 situation has been a real crazy situation.  I'm working with another office on that one, particularly the areas of Bensonhurst, Bath Beach, Sea Gate and Coney Island, though Senator Golden is still doing what he can to try to get that restored.

I can say that I had some participation in getting the B4 restored which is satisfying and the line has been used well in Sheepshead Bay since it returned.  It's been a joint effort.  He worked alone pretty much on the B2.  The B64 was a joint effort with him and several politicians working together with the union and the surrounding communities.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

That was an entirely made up statement by sleazebag politicians. Sadly, it's a convenient one, so they keep repeating it.

lol cause my dad worked for a boss who had political connections and i forget which politician he told me said that

Lots of them. It's a good line to use when they get confronted with taking money from the (MTA) and then at the same time demanding more service.

The M101 having more service than the 102 & the 103 I can understand...

It serves way more people, it's a LTD route,  and within & north of Harlem, it's utilized more than the 100...

Saying it another way, it's more popular than the 100 [along amsterdam & along 125th], and it's the most popular of the 3rd/lex routes....

The question I have is, why are there that many more 102's than 103's (that tend to arrive)....

Sucks having to see like 5-6 buses (sometimes it's worse than that) of which is a combination of 101's & 102's passing you by before a 103 comes...

Not to mention the recent cuts the 102 and 103 had received to compensate for more 101 LTD service.

As for that last part, the 103 got the worst of the cuts as its service was reduced in favor of more 102 service

I was on the M103 today and noticed how many more M101's there are than M102's or 103's. Why is that?

You mean more 101s than 102s/103s individually or seperately?

The M102/103 both effectively act as one local route, so the combined headways are supposed to be roughly the same as the limited. But since demand is higher for the limited, they run even more service on the limited compared to the locals.

Demanding what?  The X27 and X28 were supposed to be restored together.  The (MTA) claimed that the funds weren't there to restore the X28 on weekends and also argued that the ridership was too low, which is complete BS. The X27 only gets roughly 300 more riders on the weekends, so if ridership was so terrible, the would've never provided the X17 stop at 86th street on the weekends.  This is just them trying to find a reason not to give in.  They've got the money now to restore some service and they're trying to find any excuse not to do so.

The X27 runs along Shore Rd which is nowhere near the (R) train.  Those along Shore Rd. have to take the slow and unreliable B16 to the slow and unreliable (R) and then another one or two transfers to complete their trips to Manhattan.  Those who live in Dyker Heights, Bath Beach and Bensonhurst and Sea Gate/Coney Island face similar commutes without the X28.  The issue here is how much balls do the politicians representing Southwest Brooklyn have to take a stance and put the heat on the (MTA).  I can assure you that all options will be explore to get this bus back on weekends.

One option that must considered is reaching out to the union at Ulmer Park to work with the community to restore the X28, similar to the way in which the X27 was restored.

* The MTA never said anything about restoring them together.

* It's 300 fewer riders, on a longer route, which means the cost per passenger was much higher on the X27. As for the ridership, you don't need that many riders to support one additional stop. There's a difference between adding a stop to an existing route, versus running an entirely separate route.

* People in all those areas have direct connections to an express train (the (D)), rather than a local train.

so i guess the  :bus_bullet_b42: is the last bus service to replace a subway segment left once the  :bus_bullet_bx55_ltd: goes by the wayside?

Technically, the B35 replaces the old Culver shuttle (though I think it was running at the time they discontinued it).

Actually, the B54 replaced the old Myrtle Avenue El (though originally, it didn't go north of Broadway). 

* The MTA never said anything about restoring them together.

* It's 300 fewer riders, on a longer route, which means the cost per passenger was much higher on the X27. As for the ridership, you don't need that many riders to support one additional stop. There's a difference between adding a stop to an existing route, versus running an entirely separate route.

* People in all those areas have direct connections to an express train (the (D)), rather than a local train.

-When did I say anything about the (MTA) saying that they were restoring them together? You're so busy trying to correct people that you don't even know what you're talking about.  

-760 riders is still more than enough to support bringing the route back.  It can run with similar headways as the X27 does.  The run times are also similar.  A difference of approximately 10 minutes is not going to break the bank so this nonsense about the X28 being so long is just that.  From Bensonhurst to Midtown the run time is about the same or less than the X27.  It's 8 - 10 minutes from Bensonhurst to Sea Gate.

-I didn't know that riders in Dyker Heights had direct connections to the (D), but even if they did (which they don't) that still does nothing for those who are disabled and the elderly who simply can't take the subway due to physical limitations.

-When did I say anything about the (MTA) saying that they were restoring them together? You're so busy trying to correct people that you don't even know what you're talking about.  

-760 riders is still more than enough to support bringing the route back.  It can run with similar headways as the X27 does.  The run times are also similar.  A difference of approximately 10 minutes is not going to break the bank so this nonsense about the X28 being so long is just that.  From Bensonhurst to Midtown the run time is about the same or less than the X27.  It's 8 - 10 minutes from Bensonhurst to Sea Gate.

-I didn't know that riders in Dyker Heights had direct connections to the (D), but even if they did (which they don't) that still does nothing for those who are disabled and the elderly who simply can't take the subway due to physical limitations.

You said "The X27 and X28 were supposed to be restored together". That implies that the MTA said they would do it and then went back on their word.

The X28 cost about $15 per passenger on the weekend. The X27 cost about $9. Weekend ridership on the X28 was about 2/3 that of the X27, and the distance was longer to boot.

The B1 doesn't connect to the (D)? That's news to me. As for the disabled riders, they have the B1 to the X17.

You said "The X27 and X28 were supposed to be restored together". That implies that the MTA said they would do it and then went back on their word.

The X28 cost about $15 per passenger on the weekend. The X27 cost about $9. Weekend ridership on the X28 was about 2/3 that of the X27, and the distance was longer to boot.

The B1 doesn't connect to the (D)? That's news to me. As for the disabled riders, they have the B1 to the X17.

If you read the entire post and not what you wanted to read, I specifically stated that Senator Golden and I discussed which routes we would work on to get restored and the plan was that he would work on getting the X27 and X28 restored together.  Do I need to repeat that yet again for you since you have a comprehension problem?

A B1 that is unreliable to the (D) which is often knocked out on weekends, requiring numerous transfers and backtracking...

Last I checked, the X28 doesn't just serve Dyker Heights.

If you read the entire post and not what you wanted to read, I specifically stated that Senator Golden and I discussed which routes we would work on to get restored and the plan was that he would work on getting the X27 and X28 restored together.  Do I need to repeat that yet again for you since you have a comprehension problem?

A B1 that is unreliable to the (D) which is often knocked out on weekends, requiring numerous transfers and backtracking...

Last I checked, the X28 doesn't just serve Dyker Heights.

You were the one who mentioned Dyker Heights specifically.

As for riders down by Cropsey Avenue, they have the B8 & B6/64/82 (depending on where exactly they are), which connect to the (D). Hell, the ones on the southern portion of the route have a direct connection to the (D)(F)(N)(Q) at Coney Island.

Running frequently is not the same as being reliable.  Even BrooklynBus confirmed how unreliable the B1 is.  They bunch like crazy and can go missing for long stretches.  

And is that on weekends too?

You were the one who mentioned Dyker Heights specifically.

As for riders down by Cropsey Avenue, they have the B8 & B6/64/82 (depending on where exactly they are), which connect to the (D). Hell, the ones on the southern portion of the route have a direct connection to the (D)(F)(N)(Q) at Coney Island.

I know what I mentioned because I said it.  It's you that is having the problem following along.

And is that on weekends too?

I can't speak for the bunching but I don't find them to be that reliable. I've used the B1 over the years and the current B1 isn't much different from the old route in terms of reliability. 

I know what I mentioned because I said it.  It's you that is having the problem following along.

I can't speak for the bunching but I don't find them to be that reliable. I've used the B1 over the years and the current B1 isn't much different from the old route in terms of reliability. 

it is higher in ridership,tho

so i guess the  :bus_bullet_b42: is the last bus service to replace a subway segment left once the  :bus_bullet_bx55_ltd: goes by the wayside?

the :bus_bullet_b74: replaced the Nortons Point trolley which was operated by the BMT in coordination with their subway service to Coney Island...

New seats in 4892... Not my photo! These gotta go!! These ain't gonna work!

null_zps212a4730.jpg

the fat people are gonna love those...I can already hear their cries of joy to the media about how spacious and comfortable those seats are lol