BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok you MUST check out this video...

7003 is a rocket. the window was open, the HVAC was on so I was able to hear the outside engine the whole ride, this bus was moving up those hills so powerful.

this is great..I have 90 buses to experience with... although I wish the Xcelsiors were in castleton they would have so many sound affects by now

http://www.vosizneias.com/72673/2011/01/05/brooklyn-ny-terror-fear-at-bus-depot/

If you're going to busfan Gleason routes be forewarned...

2011 bro, that's old news! They weren't even Middle Eastern; Italian, I think. Anyway, they take photography pretty seriously at the depot itself but on the street you're pretty much fine. 

What MHV said. I heard rumors of someone having a nice run in with the MTAPD SWAT team for filming the depot... they do not f*ck around over there.

So I have to file a complaint..

Me, and some family members were waiting for the S46 at Castleton & Broadway a few moments ago and the bus came, but he completely flagged the stop. Had no intention of stopping at all and there was no one on the bus at all.

How do I go and file a report about this cuz that pissed us off completely

Run 2 on the S46 bus 7065

Me, and some family members were waiting for the S46 at Castleton & Broadway a few moments ago and the bus came, but he completely flagged the stop. Had no intention of stopping at all and there was no one on the bus at all.

Were there people on the bus? Because sometimes, drivers will be fully signed up, but deadheading to a certain spot on the route. If there were people on the bus, I would think to call that number on the back the buses that says "How's our driving?".

Call 511 if you like to complain, but I don't know how the MTA will respond to that.

Were there people on the bus? Because sometimes, drivers will be fully signed up, but deadheading to a certain spot on the route. If there were people on the bus, I would think to call that number on the back the buses that says "How's our driving?".

There was no one on the bus. But the thing is that I was tracking it for half an hour.

What makes it worse is that he stopped at the stop before mine (probably dropped someone off) and just kept going

-EDIT-

Filed a complaint then when the next driver came (run 301) came, i also told the driver, he said he would look into it since that driver has a habit of doing that.

...but on a lighter note, this 3G got some major power on it. Climbed up the hills on Castleton like they weren't even there plus this driver got a lead foot

Edited by Fresh Pond

Metro North shuttles will be running from Woodlawn (4) to Yonkers this weekend, in case anyone wants to check it out. Will let you guys know what's going on up there.

Obviously all three Bronx depots will provide buses there, but I'll check it out too just in case anything different pops up. Wonder why the shuttle bus is starting at Woodlawn and not Van Cortlandt Park (1) station.

Obviously all three Bronx depots will provide buses there, but I'll check it out too just in case anything different pops up. Wonder why the shuttle bus is starting at Woodlawn and not Van Cortlandt Park (1) station.

Technically, ALL subway shuttle work is suppose to go to TA depots first. If they can't cover it for whatever reason, then it falls to the OA depots.

Metro North shuttles will be running from Woodlawn (4) to Yonkers this weekend, in case anyone wants to check it out. Will let you guys know what's going on up there.

Yeah that's because those riders can if they want take the (4) direct to Grand Central which is MUCH better than the (1).  Eliminates a few transfers.  They could also go over to the MetroNorth in Woodlawn and use that to Grand Central.

LOL...

There was no one on the bus. But the thing is that I was tracking it for half an hour.

What makes it worse is that he stopped at the stop before mine (probably dropped someone off) and just kept going

-EDIT-

Filed a complaint then when the next driver came (run 301) came, i also told the driver, he said he would look into it since that driver has a habit of doing that.

LOL... You would think these drivers would get a clue with that nonsense. I always have my phone out now with a shortcut to my camera so that I can snap a pic if need be if they bypass me and I make a note to get the Bus#.  This crap happens too often of late. I was waiting a few weeks ago for a BxM2 to Riverdale with another middle aged lady.  I had already waited for one bus that never came so now it was over 40 minutes waiting and I made my way to the BxM2 from the East Side.  Some jerk came and pulled into the stop before the bus came.  Then the bus comes and the B/O looks like he's going to pull in but then realizes he doesn't have enough room.  We're trying to figure out where he's going to stop so then we start walking the other way.  Instead of stopping, he just pulls right around the parked car and keeps going.  <_<  I was PISSED.  I had to wait ANOTHER 30 minutes for another BxM2 and by then my back was killing me.  

I called in immediately and reported him and filed a complaint when I got home and the lady also called in.  Now I notice most of the drivers are a bit more cautious when making stops.  They have to be because a lot of stops have double parked cars or buses and it's not necessarily safe to go waiting in the street either with these crazy cab drivers.  In your case though I've seen SI B/Os do that. They just don't want to pick up anybody.  We have a guy like that out of Yonkers.  Comes REALLY late on purpose this way he figures people won't even wait or he'll come early and people started reporting him.  I didn't realize this until I talked to another B/O I'm cool with and he told me he likes using those tactics.  Last I heard he was in hot water for doing some sneaky stuff. Picking up passengers at stops he shouldn't have.  I heard he would run as a BxM18 then pick up like a BxM2 along Madison, which I'm sure would piss people off since the last stop is supposed to 56th & Madison, yet he would pick up BxM2 stops as well if he had "clicks". Smh

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Whenever a B/O passes me... only happens in staten island...I will run to the next stop or two and catch it... then I will press the stop request button for each stop...idc learn how to stop

LMAO!! I'm telling you management really needs to start doing their job out there.  They have BusTime but they don't use it for anything.  It's like Christ why is it so hard to be professional and do the job correctly?  They should hire some drivers that actually want the job if those B/Os are so miserable. What can I say? Some things never change, but at least there's LESS of a cat and mouse game with some buses now because of BusTime.  For a while it was like playing cat and mouse with the X10.  S54 and a few other lines were like that as well... One bus early.  Next bus late. Next bus on time.  The next bus early, etc...  <_< I think they fielded so many complaints out of Staten Island that that's one reason they did Staten Island aside from the obvious ones.

What's worse is management (particularly Castleton) is perfectly fine if the last bus of the morning comes early. I remember a few years ago an X30 came early. A few of us at the stop were trying to figure out if that was indeed the last bus because we couldn't believe that he would come that early (at least a good 10 minutes early).  A lady called the depot to confirm and dispatch was like yeah he came already as if that's normal.  That lady was pissed.  Then we caught the last X16 of the morning which of course was also early.  <_<

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Technically, ALL subway shuttle work is suppose to go to TA depots first. If they can't cover it for whatever reason, then it falls to the OA depots.

Everything last weekend was OA except for a SBS LFSA from 126 and a few MCIs from MTA Bus, and when they had to do it on a weekday buses came in from across the city including MTA Bus. I don't think this would be considered a subway shuttle since it's for Metro North. But MTA Bus (usuallt CP only) has been doing quite a bit of shuttle work across the board lately... Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

I'm on 7046 right now on the S78... it keeps on rejecting when someone presses or pulls the cord... someone would pull the cord to get off and 5 secs later the stop request sign would turn off Lmaoo. so people are constantly pulling it like 3-4 times in between stops.

Some Orion V's and Orion V CNG's used to do that but they have been retired. I remember 9932 and 9971 and a few other's did it.

The MNRR shuttles do go on the Thruway a little from Woodlawn to Yonkers Ave, so if you want to ride an XD60 or whatever on the highway now's your chance.

Also VG8 should be happy to know that I opted to take one of "his very own" Yonkers MCIs instead of an Xcelsior or anything else.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

Interesting, an idea that I had and posted on here for 14th Street is actually being considered...except it's not going to 14th Street, UGH!

UPPER WEST SIDE — Local leaders want the MTA to implement off-board fare collection for the M86 crosstown bus to alleviate delays along the crowded route.

The bus, which runs both east and west along 86th Street and stops at West End Avenue, Broadway, Amsterdam, Columbus and Central Park West on the west side, is widely used and has created a perennial problem for riders, said Community Board 7's Transportation Committee co-chairman Dan Zweig.

"The crosstown routes are very heavily traveled and congested," he said at a meeting Wednesday. "The loading of the buses has gotten longer."

As a solution, Zweig and the committee's co-chairman, Andrew Albert, recommended off-board fare collection, which allows riders to pay for their ride at a machine posted at each bus stop before boarding.

At bus stops where the bus intersects with a subway station, such as at Lexington Avenue and Broadway, the buses get especially crowded, Albert said.

"By the time everybody has boarded, you have such a line there that the next bus has actually caught up with you. You have uneven boarding and then you have long gaps," he said.

Machines at each stop would cost the MTA "considerably," he said, but would make boarding go much faster.

CB7 Chairman Mark Diller added that the off-board fare system "will also make a better utilization of the whole bus."

"If you can board at the [back] entrance, it spreads the patrons around so your experience on the bus is better too," Diller added.

The MTA has already enacted off-board fare collection along several city bus routes, including the 34th Street crosstown bus.

The committee's resolution to ask the MTA for off-board fare collection passed unanimously Wednesday night and will be presented next at the full board meeting in September for approval.

CB7 is joining with its east side counterpart, CB8, in asking for off-board fare collection, Albert said. CB8 is also asking for the M86 to feature Select Bus Service, which would involve creating a dedicated bus lane along the route.

"We want to start here and ask for [off-board collection] when we’ve got somebody on the other side of the island saying we want it too," Zweig said.

An MTA spokeswoman said the authority "acknowledges the issues with the M86 and is studying various possible solutions," which include creating a dedicated bus lane and off-board ticket collection.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20130725/upper-west-side/new-ticket-collection-system-proposed-for-m86-bus 

Interesting, an idea that I had and posted on here for 14th Street is actually being considered...except it's not going to 14th Street, UGH!

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20130725/upper-west-side/new-ticket-collection-system-proposed-for-m86-bus 

you messed up the link and i also mentioned that in the phase 2 sbs routes

the truck number one because your not suppose to stand at the bus stop...

at the same time... the b/o should of pulled into the stop if there was enough room, but maybe laziness kicked into place forcing him to just stop in the middle making his excuse be the truck in the bus stop

the truck was behind the bus stop, where the buses go on layover.