BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Who said anything about being special?  They cost more to run just like commuter trains (which I can't believe you seriously didn't know that) and they function the same way in which commuter trains do, which is to bring people who live OUTSIDE of Manhattan TO the BUSINESS CENTER.  Period.  This has nothing to do with class or any of that BS.  It's just a simple fact.  That's why all of them end either in Midtown or Downtown to bring people to the business centers and if you need to go elsewhere you use the subway or the local bus.

The cost argument kind of figures into the fact that the fare is higher, so you're not discovering America here.

You really need to read the stuff you're posting. It's amazing. You are offended I dared even suggest that express buses are in any way related to regular services. Tremendous stuff. Still doesn't give any sane answer to "hey maybe make the fare $5 since it still uses a MetroCard" thing. Not like express bus users have never used local buses to connect. Again, I acknowledge the fact that you can't make it $5 because they need the revenues (hence the random thought), but this has been a fantastic back and forth. I'll be on the lookout in the future to make sure I don't offend express buses on these threads. LOL.

Edited by Culver

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cost argument kind of figures into the fact that the fare is higher, so you're not discovering America here.

You really need to read the stuff you're posting. It's amazing. You are offended I dared even suggest that express buses are in any way related to regular services. Tremendous stuff. Still doesn't give any sane answer to "hey maybe make the fare $5 since it still uses a MetroCard" thing. Not like express bus users have never used local buses to connect. Again, I acknowledge the fact that you can't make it $5 because they need the revenues (hence the random thought), but this has been a fantastic back and forth. I'll be on the lookout in the future to make sure I don't offend express buses on these threads. LOL.

Then why even ask why it isn't lowered to $5?   <_<  Seems like a rhetorical question.

It has nothing to do with being "offended".  They operate differently and to say that they're the same would just be completely false.  That would be like saying that the subway and the LIRR and MetroNorth are the same when they are not at all. Maybe this is the problem that local bus riders don't seem to get when they constantly run to the damn bus trying to get on at drop-off only stops because they don't seem to understand that they aren't just picking up and dropping off at every stop like local buses do.  If they did that what would be the purpose of paying $6.00?  For that I could just take the subway or the local bus because there would be no advantage of having an "express" bus.

If you notice, most of the stops are further spaced than local buses and are similar to local train stops on the subway which isn't by accident. So in short those who want a quicker commute to the city pay more to get that quicker service and also pay more because it costs more to operate since the idea is to move people quickly to and from the city and nothing else.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Then why even ask why it isn't lowered to $5?   <_<  Seems like a rhetorical question.

It was. Hence "Random Thoughts" thread. I even specified that it was a random thought. Not bothering with the rest of your manifesto there...

Just saw 7087 being loaded onto a tractor trailor at Zerega...whats up with that?

That's the second one being hauled off, right? Did (MTA) ever get 7088 back?

7007 was on the S44/94 yesterday. I caught it at Victory/Richmond going to the mall as an S94 Limited then rode it back from Yukon to Saint George as an S44 and it went OOS there. Good ride in my opinion, but my friend who was driving the bus wasn't a fan of them so much.

This is pretty much every s53 from 7:30-8:30

packed all the way up to the door with about 5-6 people in front of the white line, and about 7-8 people on the high section... today there was dead ass two rows of people standing in the high section... we was pretty much squished.

IMG_0572_zpsfa9a3dca.jpg

lol... What's funny is they refused to add more S53's during that time, nor any sort of local stop service.  They could also have some S53s start at later points to alleviate the overcrowding, but of course that would make too much sense.

I don't understand some bus drivers on the B3, you don't let an elderly man on with a rolling book bag on one stop but the next stop you let a middle aged woman on with a rolling shopping cart. [The smaller red ones.]

SMH.

Because one passenger is a MAN and the other is a WOMAN.  I see it all of the time on the buses and it's because most of the drivers are males and sexist pigs.  <_<

This is pretty much every s53 from 7:30-8:30

packed all the way up to the door with about 5-6 people in front of the white line, and about 7-8 people on the high section... today there was dead ass two rows of people standing in the high section... we was pretty much squished.

IMG_0572_zpsfa9a3dca.jpg

Hmm. Every time I get an S53 bus, its pretty much empty or some of the seats are occupied every time I take it at Bay Ridge during the P.M. Rush. Just looks like most stick with the S93 LTD.

Hmm. Every time I get an S53 bus, its pretty much empty or some of the seats are occupied every time I take it at Bay Ridge during the P.M. Rush. Just looks like most stick with the S93 LTD.

Naa because most of the crowding on the s53 is from grasmere station to Lily pond ave... so it's only pretty much the s53... and ten minute headways are not working out well because stops are getting flagged due to buses being so packed... and s53 riders really make buses packed... packed to point where you can't even reach to grab your phone out your pocket...we don't have moving to the back problems...

and also... the only time the s53 is sardine packed is from 7:30-8:30, and from 4:00-5:00. everything else gets decent crowds with about 5-6 standees

Planned Detour
B69 temporary bus stop closure on 7 Av at Union St
Until further notice

Due to construction, customers are advised to board
northbound buses on 7 Av at Garfield Pl or Lincoln Pl.

Planned Detour
B67 temporary bus stop closure on 7 Av at Union St
Until further notice

Due to construction, customers are advised to board
northbound buses on 7 Av at Garfield Pl or Lincoln Pl.

Planned Detour
B65 buses detoured from Dean St between Flatbush and 6 Avs
9 AM to 9 PM, Tue and Wed, Jul 30 - 31

Due to a crane operation, eastbound buses run
via Atlantic Av making corresponding stops.

Please allow additional travel time.

Saw *four* B6es in a row heading south on Bay Parkway. Figure they're past 86 St if not Cropsey by now. Two RTS at front and two empty XD-40s behind them (well, one did have a person on it, so there's that). The first XD-40 dropped off people at 65 St. Didn't catch any of the numbers on the buses except the last one, which I think was 4878*. Must've been some traffic back east.

EDIT: Hat tip to Xcelsior person for correcting number

Edited by Culver

Saw *four* B6es in a row heading south on Bay Parkway. Figure they're past 86 St if not Cropsey by now. Two RTS at front and two empty XD-40s behind them (well, one did have a person on it, so there's that). The first XD-40 dropped off people at 65 St. Didn't catch any of the numbers on the buses except the last one, which I think was 4278. Must've been some traffic back east.

You mean local buses can be empty too? Better cut 'em...  <_<

Saw *four* B6es in a row heading south on Bay Parkway. Figure they're past 86 St if not Cropsey by now. Two RTS at front and two empty XD-40s behind them (well, one did have a person on it, so there's that). The first XD-40 dropped off people at 65 St. Didn't catch any of the numbers on the buses except the last one, which I think was 4278. Must've been some traffic back east.

lol 4278?

4278 is one of those Yukon S79 buses...

maybe it was 4878

lol 4278?

4278 is one of those Yukon S79 buses...

maybe it was 4878

You right.

You mean local buses can be empty too? Better cut 'em...  <_<

^ Can I report this guy for being a troll or something?

Yes, even one empty bus = let's cut everything by my logic, ignoring the fact that it was 4 buses in a row and the front two ended up picking up all the load. Exactly like the X25, which averaged 4 people a bus. :rolleyes:

Edited by Culver

^ Can I report this guy for being a troll or something?

Yes, even one empty bus = let's cut everything by my logic, ignoring the fact that it was 4 buses in a row and the front two ended up picking up all the load. Exactly like the X25, which averaged 4 people a bus. :rolleyes:

Exactly like the X28 which averaged over 700 riders on weekends...  <_<

Exactly like the X28 which averaged over 700 riders on weekends...  <_<

Yeah. But not really. Can you let go already? Dude, seek help. You got so offended you've been trolling me about this shit for like a month now nonstop.

Yeah. But not really. Can you let go already? Dude, seek help. You got so offended you've been trolling me about this shit for like a month now nonstop.

I just find it interesting how you view resources being used and the hypocrisy in your way of thinking.  I don't know what was so "random" or special about you seeing 4 B6's together.  They always run like that even going back to when I lived in Midwood.