BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I caught three Orion 5 CNGs in a row today: 9849 on the Q19, 9899 on the Q39 going to Ridgewood, and 9836 on the Q39 going back to Long Island City. (y) Looks like July ended well for me.

I'll post a photo thread sometime before the week is over, I haven't posted photos in a long time.

This question is not directly related to the MTA but more so buses in general. I was watching a video last night of a wheelchair lift cycling (

) and I am puzzled about the location of the wheelchair lift in relation to the rest of the door way.

Last night it looked to me like the main section of the lift (the non folding part) slides underneath the step from the pavement to the bus itself, but after rewatching the video it seems now like the lift actually forms the first step of the bus itself. Is this correct?

If so, I can only imagine how long it would take to retrofit a non lift equipped vehicle with one (there were some ex-Edmonton BBCs in Daytona that received such a modification, for example.)

Odd question I know, but I havent really given wheelchair lifts any thought before now, and now Im really confused.

The RTS' wheelchair lift are the back steps collapsing and folding to form the lift. For the Orion 5s the lift forms the first step and goes under the bus. (Ex-Bee Line Orions are in the front, MTA and ex-PBL Orions are in the back). The New Flyer D60HF's wheelchair lift is in front of the bus as well, and goes under the bus too.

You know what I never could figure out is why our O5s don't have the same operating mechanism as the Bee-Line buses do, or why no RTS manufacturer could ever work out a similar front wheelchair lift that didn't give the bus a wide front door underbite.

Are they running on CP routes?

Well sometimes they will run on CP routes like last week all the O5 CNGs were running exclusively on the Q65, Q25, Q19, and Q34, now they usually run on loan from LGA again and sometimes the Q19. Today was a great day for O5 CNG hunting I didnt even have to wait and caught 2 of em and many others here saw them on the LGA routes today, it's also funny how on the AM run 9836 and 9899 both ran on the Q23 and on the PM they both ran on the Q39

I've been taking the Q35 more often as of late and hadn't stepped foot at Flatbush av as much. 

Why did they merge both the bergen beach and KP B41 stands instead of keeping them separate? Now the 'is this going to Kings Plaza' questions will never end. They really need to split the designation with either a suffix or a new route number. This is just a stupid move. At least before the spots were totally separate and you'd have to be illiterate to not know where you were. Now everyone will be rushing for the first bus they see and then ask later when it is time for the line to split at av P.

Also I thought the point of annexing the 'triangle' was so they could push the bus stop stand further down to allow the buses to be more spread out? The only line that won was the B103 which now has a stop all on its own (and deserves it).

Edited by Grand Concourse

4263 on the S79 was interesting. It was tremendously fast for a hybrid and absolutely hauled ass up the Verrazano, so I assumed it was really well taken care of. It might actually be in shitty condition under the hood, however. It kept making that all familiar pop-off valve sound (I know there's other air release sounds, I'm talking about this specific sound we all know and love), and I've literally never heard an NYC hybrid bus make that sound. Odd. Any ideas?