BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Indeed. I find the orange ones much better than the flip dots and green led ones. The green led signs are ok, but seem to be glitch prone at the back.

I agree. The orange ones are much more clear to read and I've seen the glitches too on green LED signs, especially on the RTS buses.

Today?

That's not surprising at all.... How many people did you expect on a Q67 on a mid-afternoon on a sunday.... lol....

I'm more surprised that you weren't the only passenger on the bus.

LOL! Whenever I see a Q67, it only has one, maybe two or three passengers at the most on it. It's pretty much only still operating because of the industry workers that use it to 55 Avenue between 48 and 58 Streets. Otherwise people usually hop on the Q39.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe I should've taken the LIRR after all last night.... still have a ticket from Amityville with zone 1 unpunched (Amityville-Atlantic Terminal, but the day I bought it, I got off at Jamaica.... meaning I can still use it to travel b/w Jamaica & Atlantic terminal)....

I say this because I didn't feel like walking from 165th st terminal to LIRR Jamaica, so I just trekked on over to the Q24 terminal & took it to where I can xfer over to the B12 instead..... What a mistake that was (on both fronts; the Q24 & the B12)....

You think that was bad... I decided to take the BxM1 in today instead of the BxM2 because of the Dominican Parade on 6th.  The bus was a good 15 - 20 minutes late as I was walking to the bus stop then he and sat at the terminal at 263rd and took a break nonetheless even though he was late. Okay fine. Even with that he could've made up the time coming down.  By the time he comes down he's almost arriving at the time that BxM2 should be on its way down.  The bus had a decent crowd when I got on which meant that there were people getting on in North Riverdale and Fieldston.  Oddly enough there was no one at either of the stops at Kappock.  The real kicker was that it took a good 40 minutes from the time I got on in Riverdale just for us to reach 207th and Broadway in Inwood and I've been on BxM1's on Sundays that have taken about 40 minutes to do that whole trip. <_< After that debacle we remained late despite us not making that many stops and there not being much traffic on Lex.  Seemed like the B/O was more preoccupied with telling everyone that no cell phones were allowed even though I didn't see anyone on one.  Long story short it took over an hour and a half from Riverdale to Midtown East/Upper East Side area. Pathetic to say the least.

Long day today, went out to Bay Ridge Rode the B64 for the first time today at 12:30 from Ulmer Park Depot (4896) after going to Spumoni Gardens (Via B4 408). Question, what is ridership normally like for the B64, b/c the one I was on was stuffed to the windows. After spending time in Bay Ridge and taking some great photos, I took 434 back to Sheepshead Bay on the B4, that bus felt like the arctic tundra lol. Later that day I took 5124 on the B1 (that bus is powerful) to 4988 on the B82 which was a nice and fast ride where we almost hit a 2 people on bikes after swerving around a clueless pedestrian, I ended the day on 4608 on the B49 and saw the sun set on Emmons Ave. But someone lemme know what B64 ridership is usually like, thank you.

B64's usually aren't packed to the rafters like that on weekends.  Usually you'll get 20 - 25 passengers max throughout the course of the route but it's never packed to the point to where it's crazy SRO.

I agree. The orange ones are much more clear to read and I've seen the glitches too on green LED signs, especially on the RTS buses.

LOL! Whenever I see a Q67, it only has one, maybe two or three passengers at the most on it. It's pretty much only still operating because of the industry workers that use it to 55 Avenue between 48 and 58 Streets. Otherwise people usually hop on the Q39.

The Q67's get crazy packed starting at 2:30 PM to about 6:00 PM weekdays in Both Directions and 7:00 AM to about 10:00 QBP Bound only. By Hunterspoint Avenue you can barely find a seat. That's how bad it is weekdays.

Middays, it's okay, the Midday Bus to Ridgewood dont get their mass loads (12-13 riders per trip being every 30 minutes) until 1:00 PM, and vice versa up to 2 PM.

The Q67's get crazy packed starting at 2:30 PM to about 6:00 PM weekdays in Both Directions and 7:00 AM to about 10:00 QBP Bound only. By Hunterspoint Avenue you can barely find a seat. That's how bad it is weekdays.

Middays, it's okay, the Midday Bus to Ridgewood dont get their mass loads (12-13 riders per trip being every 30 minutes) until 1:00 PM, and vice versa up to 2 PM.

It's because of the workers that use it. They are the reason the Q67 is operating plus for coverage reasons as well.

I don't know why this is all so shocking to everybody. In Manhattan many of the routes are designed for service all day to tourists, students, professionals, whathaveyou. But in Queens, you've got some routes specifically scheduled for commuters to get to and from work. The Q67 is one of them, going from a residential area through an industrial area (jobs) to a commercial area (jobs). So it makes sense that the line's pretty empty midday and weekends, as nobody's commuting to work. But let me tell you, that bus is completely packed, if not standing room only during and around rush hours. 

B64's usually aren't packed to the rafters like that on weekends.  Usually you'll get 20 - 25 passengers max throughout the course of the route but it's never packed to the point to where it's crazy SRO.

Wow really, thanks for the info VG8, well this must have been a freak occurrence, because the bus had no seats by Bath Ave and 18th Avenue and was at the point of flagging people by 13th ave and 86th Street. But the ride was horrible so, Ill stick to the B1 from now on.

Wow really, thanks for the info VG8, well this must have been a freak occurrence, because the bus had no seats by Bath Ave and 18th Avenue and was at the point of flagging people by 13th ave and 86th Street. But the ride was horrible so, Ill stick to the B1 from now on.

Out of curiosity what type of folks were riding?  I'm asking because Bensonhurst's demographics have been changing for years now with more Asians (particularly Chinese) and they could be using the buses there more in Bath Beach and Bensonhurst than in the past.

I don't know why this is all so shocking to everybody. In Manhattan many of the routes are designed for service all day to tourists, students, professionals, whathaveyou. But in Queens, you've got some routes specifically scheduled for commuters to get to and from work. The Q67 is one of them, going from a residential area through an industrial area (jobs) to a commercial area (jobs). So it makes sense that the line's pretty empty midday and weekends, as nobody's commuting to work. But let me tell you, that bus is completely packed, if not standing room only during and around rush hours. 

Yeah. Most people board where there is no close alternative on Weekends, so thats a reason why it runs.

This B15 route is confusing itself...

At first, combination trips from the airport went down Linden then turned on Eldert La to get to the postal facility. Then they changed it to turn right on Drew, then a left on Dumont, then another left on Eldert La do avoid making that original left turn on Linden (its from the service road anyway, I see why they did that). Now some buses do the original route and others do the new route. Its no stops anyway so it shouldn't make much of a difference, but which one is the official route?

I visited Eastchester for the first time yesterday. From what the guard was saying, the big lot was storage, and the lot on the left next to the highway was scrap. He said that they'll move buses from storage to scrap not to scrap them, but because there's not enough space.

And perhaps this will put down someone's fear, he also said that a few years back a man named Mike bought 2 Orion V CNGs, gave one to a museum (he doesn't know the name), and kept the other for himself, around a price of $2,300 (not sure if it was individually or together).

Anyway, this is what I could see. There were many others that I couldn't see the number. I was surprised that the Triboro units were still there:

Storage Lot:

D60HF:

- 1021, 1025, 4709, 5278, 5377, 5405, 5433, 5505, 5506

C40LF CNG LF:

- 812, 824, 855, 859, 942, 978

Orion V:

- 108, 128, 137, 148, 149, 163, 165, 1305, 1306

Orion V CNG:

- 7235, 7252, 9834, 9837, 9918, 9986

D45S:

- 996, 997, 998

T80-206 RTS:

- 9074, 9081, 9123, 9244, 9290, 9308

Scrap Lot:

D60HF:

- 1002, 1300, 5392, 5395, 5341, 5400, 5412, 5416, 5420, 5423, 5436, 5471, 5481, 5483, 5491

C40LF CNG LF:

- 878, 980

Orion V CNG:

- 713, 7224, 7280, 9827, 9839, 9844, 9846, 9852, 9865, 9866, 9871, 9872

Orion VII Gen-I HLF:

102-DLW3SS:

- 1908, 1992, 2081, 2094, 2131

T8H-5307A New Look:

I visited Eastchester for the first time yesterday. From what the guard was saying, the big lot was storage, and the lot on the left next to the highway was scrap. He said that they'll move buses from storage to scrap not to scrap them, but because there's not enough space.

And perhaps this will put down someone's fear, he also said that a few years back a man named Mike bought 2 Orion V CNGs, gave one to a museum (he doesn't know the name), and kept the other for himself, around a price of $2,300 (not sure if it was individually or together).

Anyway, this is what I could see. There were many others that I couldn't see the number. I was surprised that the Triboro units were still there:

For a minute I thought it was the mike we knew... Then I realized 9899 isn't at ECH yet :P .

Edited by 4P3607

At first, combination trips from the airport went down Linden then turned on Eldert La to get to the postal facility. Then they changed it to turn right on Drew, then a left on Dumont, then another left on Eldert La do avoid making that original left turn on Linden (its from the service road anyway, I see why they did that). Now some buses do the original route and others do the new route. Its no stops anyway so it shouldn't make much of a difference, but which one is the officialStar

Only a couple more weeks to put up with it.

At first, combination trips from the airport went down Linden then turned on Eldert La to get to the postal facility. Then they changed it to turn right on Drew, then a left on Dumont, then another left on Eldert La do avoid making that original left turn on Linden (its from the service road anyway, I see why they did that). Now some buses do the original route and others do the new route. Its no stops anyway so it shouldn't make much of a difference, but which one is the official route?

The official one is the right on Drew. However, that will become moot in September when the B15 will no longer serve the GMF at all. The short-turns ending at the CMF, as well as some combination trips, will now terminate at the multiplex.

BTW, is 1002 (ex-5252) actually parted out yet or missing its license plate?

Edited by aemoreira81

The official one is the right on Drew. However, that will become moot in September when the B15 will no longer serve the GMF at all. The short-turns ending at the CMF, as well as some combination trips, will now terminate at the multiplex.

BTW, is 1002 (ex-5252) actually parted out yet or missing its license plate?

I was writing what I saw at the scrap lot. I don't know official assignments and stuff. Looking at the picture, 1002 still has its license plate. However, on the window, it says either "O/C" or "O/S".

Of the current weekday riders that take the bus, Id say about a fourth don't live around the area the Q67 travels. Of that 75% that live near or on it

13.5% take it on weekends.

DOT must be on drugs again. Getting rid of the Q67 is a stupid idea, especially since industrial workers depend on it. What would they propose next, eliminate the Q58?!!!

New York City life can be cruel. This is why unfortunately people commit suicide out of desperation. So this trend is extending out of the 12-9's underground in the MTA Subways, to the pavements of the streets now? I haven't heard of an incident like this given the scenario, in a long time.

New York City life can be cruel. This is why unfortunately people commit suicide out of desperation. So this trend is extending out of the 12-9's underground in the MTA Subways, to the pavements of the streets now? I haven't heard of an incident like this given the scenario, in a long time.

Yeah, this is especially odd. A shame the individual chose to end his life in such a cruel manner, but it is what it is.

At this point all anyone can offer are their condolences to the victims family.

Man, shit's f**ked up.

Don't feel like starting a thread, but look at this. Some dude killed himself by jumping in front a bus on the Q113.

Another suicide? Oh boy.....I've been hearing about too many of them. Seriously can't they find better ways of getting rid of depression issues without killing/harming themselves because it's not that hard. But people have been killing themselves over ridiculous things lately like if someone breaks up with their boy/girlfriend, then the next day, they're gonna have a bullet in their head. What's next, people killing themselves because they broke their phone? <_<

Well usually when people commit suicide by transit, they use the trains such as that guy who killed himself on the (N) train at Astoria since trains travel faster and they are much heavier.

Another suicide? Oh boy.....I've been hearing about too many of them. Seriously can't they find better ways of getting rid of depression issues without killing/harming themselves because it's not that hard. But people have been killing themselves over ridiculous things lately like if someone breaks up with their boy/girlfriend, then the next day, they're gonna have a bullet in their head. What's next, people killing themselves because they broke their phone? <_<

You really think its not that hard kid, wait until life really his you...