BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

A little something from the NY Times, it talks about the B110 and the practice of segregation at the end.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/22/nyregion/hasidic-jews-turn-up-pressure-on-city-to-accommodate-their-traditions.html?ref=nyregion&_r=0&pagewanted=all

Still some issue with the B110 I see.

Personally I am not one that appreciates others shifting their religious ideals or views on others. I'm a very tolerant person, however public services such as this one should be accommodating to everyone.

Now, if the Hasidic community would be willing to operate an independent service on their own then it would be a different discussion.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should there be an MTA takeover of the B110 or leave it alone?

They've been doing it for a while. Political power is the only reason the franchise is still there. Problem is: what (MTA) Bus would run the route? I'd keep the route, but nearest (MTA) Bus depot is I guess Spring Creek.

They've been doing it for a while. Political power is the only reason the franchise is still there. Problem is: what (MTA) Bus depot would run the route? I'd keep the route, but nearest (MTA) Bus depot is I guess Spring Creek.

That's too far of a DH. Geographically, Grand Av and Gleason are closer but it is what it is.

I wouldn't say an MTA takeover per se... but if the guys at Private keep up the discrimination then their franchise should be revoked. If no company wants to pick it up, then consider MTA involvement.

They've been doing it for a while. Political power is the only reason the franchise is still there. Problem is: what (MTA) Bus would run the route? I'd keep the route, but nearest (MTA) Bus depot is I guess Spring Creek.

I'd wonder then, if that ever happens, if the MTA would consider inheriting Private Transportation's buses.

Same can be said for the X23 and X24. Would the city consider handing those off to the (MTA) eventually?

Something is actually in the works from what I hear. The operator of Atlantic Express does not want the lines anymore because they are being forced to put fareboxes on buses that don't run those two lines because of the high demand.

IF they get sent to MTA, those two routes will be in Charleston's control because of the distance.

Just for the record, the takeover of both the X23 & X24 has been rumored since 2006 when the private lines were being transitioned to the MTA. Personally I would count on it, but then again shit happens.

But as of recently, the push has gained some steam....they are putting charter buses on those main line runs and adding the fareboxes to them. The complaint is that they don't have enough buses to even do their charter runs.

Edited by Cait Sith

But as of recently, the push has gained some steam....they are putting charter buses on those main line runs and adding the fareboxes to them. The complaint is that they don't have enough buses to even do their charter runs.

Hmm, this will turn out to be interesting. It'd make much sense as AE wouldn't have to deadhead from the North Shore anymore.

Still, (MTA) X23 & X24? Will take some time to get used to.

Hell, it still strikes me odd that the AE7 is now the X22.

If the (MTA) took those lines, I'd hope they don't dick around and run them accordingly. If demand is that high, service levels better remain high.

I'd assume that would be true.

Case in point the variants of the X17 & X22 respectively.

Wtf they're running them in airport shuttle service?

Golden Touch is running them currently, mostly for American Airlines running from Terminal 8 to Building 10 and 12 where AA has employee parking. They used to be Port's buses, they would run where you see the Port O7s now such as along the Service Road and in long term parking.

6V92 engine, ZF tranny and the first production order D40LFs ever built. And they actually run pretty damn well. Vid:

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life