BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Today was an awesome day for me busfanning in SI. I rode with my Castleton B/O friend on the S46 and then caught 9448 on the S59 (and I wasn't even looking for it either).

Almost forgot, today was the first time that my rides in SI did not consist of an Orion V or NG.

They were: 7026 (I think) on the S53

Shorty after, I stopped at a BBQ for a about two hours, then:

7056 on the S46

9448 on the S59

7003 on the S78

7069 on the S53

and last but not least..... 464 on the B16.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BYD ebus is spotted at Zerega...

http://www.byd.com/na/auto/ElectricBus.html

here for an NYC style torture test. I've heard talks of it being demo'd out of Quill, but I'm not %100 sure yet. Pics will be up shortly

With all the raves that bus type has been getting lately, I'm not surprised at all that it'd show up here in NYC, especially after that converted D to E40LF demo we had sometime ago.

Not bad looking. The screen looks small though. I imagine they would have the (MTA) colors right?

This should only be a demo, so it will most likely only get a couple of MTA decals. It will probably shadow a couple routes around Manhatten for a week or so, and then be on it's way to the next TA.

This should only be a demo, so it will most likely only get a couple of MTA decals. It will probably shadow a couple routes around Manhatten for a week or so, and then be on it's way to the next TA.

I would like to see more buses that need less maintenance by way of paint jobs and so on.  I don't think the MCI's ever get paint jobs.  The (MTA) should look at buses like those.

Q: During non-rush and weekends, BM routes are 1 hour for a bus, but why does the ones going to midtown is 70 minutes? 

Lack of ridership, but also about coverage until a certain time.  There's some ridership on those buses at the times that they run at 70 minute headways, but they try to hold on to those buses to see if things will change before cutting them outright because once they're cut it'll be hard to justify bringing them back.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Why can't the (MTA) use those hubcaps on the regular buses? They started using them with the RTS's back in the 90's but then switched back to the white ones.  I know there was some issue with them, but it seems as if they're the only ones with the problem because NJT uses those hubcaps and they seem just fine.

Why can't the (MTA) use those hubcaps on the regular buses? They started using them with the RTS's back in the 90's but then switched back to the white ones.  I know there was some issue with them, but it seems as if they're the only ones with the problem because NJT uses those hubcaps and they seem just fine.

Alcoas are more expensive and cost more to maintain, cast iron is much cheaper overall.