BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone wanted to see complete and total anarchy and craziness, should have been on Avenue Z between East 16th and Ocean on Saturday September 7th. Ave Z between 16th and 15th was blocked off for track repairs on the (B) so here is what happened. Every B4 (Sheepshead) took a different route, Sheepshead Bay buses either went from Sheepshead Bay road to Voorhees Ave, skipping Z all together, some went straight down Shore Pkway and others went along Emmons till Ocean and then went to Shore Pkway, it was madness Bay Ridge bound ones were unaffected, the B36 wasn't better. Two buses would come at a time at Ave Z (Coney Island Bound) and stop at the Bed-Sty bound B49 bus stop, one bus would discharge, leaving 20-30 or more people to wait for another bus, (that happened 4 times) and that bus would deadhead back to Ave U the bus that had people took Ave Y or Ave X to East 14th and head back up. Ave U bound buses weren't a huge issue. And for the B49, some went via Sheepshead Bay road and others took Ocean to Emmons (Kingsborough Bound) and Bed-Sty bound skipped Ave Z all together as well, leaving many people clueless from what I saw. It was one of the biggest jokes I have seen in a while, thank g-d I avoided all 3 of those routes in the Sheepshead Bay area. Hopefully they get their act together next time.

I'm curious as to how the color codes for buses are determined. For example, the M1 is red and the M2 is purple. How do they determine this?

I always wanted to know this too

There are no color codes... All it is, is that, colors are chosen on the map to reflect the many routes of said (borough's) map, as to not clash too poorly with one another.... Outside of that, it's no rhyme or reason to it....

Having created a map of sorts myself in paint shop pro, I can tell you a lot of the color choosing is trial & error...

(I didn't wanna copy/use the same colors for all the routes the MTA uses in the Brooklyn map; wanted to be a little different in that regard)

Before the swap in 2005, were the Q30 and 31 interlined?

Talkin bout when they both ran out of QV? I'm trying to recall 30's & 31's ever interlining....

I don't remember them doing so.... Sry I don't have an answer for ya....

There are no color codes... All it is, is that, colors are chosen on the map to reflect the many routes of said (borough's) map, as to not clash too poorly with one another.... Outside of that, it's no rhyme or reason to it....

Having created a map of sorts myself in paint shop pro, I can tell you a lot of the color choosing is trial & error...

(I didn't wanna copy/use the same colors for all the routes the MTA uses in the Brooklyn map; wanted to be a little different in that regard)

Talkin bout when they both ran out of QV? I'm trying to recall 30's & 31's ever interlining....

I don't remember them doing so.... Sry I don't have an answer for ya....

It's funny because until 2010, the crosstown routes on the Manhattan bus map were blue or light green. Yes I am referring to when the 30/31 both ran from Queens Village until 2005.