BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per Cappy on subchat, these things are huge!

2ljo.jpg

See, my problem is, and I know I say too much good sh*t about Clever Devices, that unlike Clever's system these don't give you a time estimate. Yes, the Clever Devices/Nextbus/other vendors' method of giving you a time estimate can be inaccurate especially in urban settings (but has improved, always near on the dot in NJ even in JC/Newark), but I still think that displaying both the amount of stops away the bus is and an ETA would be great on these clocks to give people an estimate as to when the bus will actually show, not just where it is. Again, even though the times are often inaccurate, it seems that the vendors have improved on their time estimations and the TA would probably be able to do the same, the ETAs would probably be pretty accurate in most of the outer boroughs anyway even if they had problems in say Manhattan. To the TA's credit, they put a ton of effort and custom manufacturing into these, even though they're pretty damn bulky including the equipment box. Clever's trial run countdown clocks on the M34 not only had no bulky box but were built into the Cemusa bus shelter, above where the ad usually is, something I definitely would've liked to see come back. But nonetheless good effort on the TA's part, at least we got the countdown clocks.

See, my problem is, and I know I say too much good sh*t about Clever Devices, that unlike Clever's system these don't give you a time estimate. Yes, the Clever Devices/Nextbus/other vendors' method of giving you a time estimate can be inaccurate especially in urban settings (but has improved, always near on the dot in NJ even in JC/Newark), but I still think that displaying both the amount of stops away the bus is and an ETA would be great on these clocks to give people an estimate as to when the bus will actually show, not just where it is. Again, even though the times are often inaccurate, it seems that the vendors have improved on their time estimations and the TA would probably be able to do the same, the ETAs would probably be pretty accurate in most of the outer boroughs anyway even if they had problems in say Manhattan. To the TA's credit, they put a ton of effort and custom manufacturing into these, even though they're pretty damn bulky including the equipment box. Clever's trial run countdown clocks on the M34 not only had no bulky box but were built into the Cemusa bus shelter, above where the ad usually is, something I definitely would've liked to see come back. But nonetheless good effort on the TA's part, at least we got the countdown clocks.

I agree that this is long overdue, but the bitching about the limitations of the system aren't. Clever Devices is expensive, the MTA is doing what they can. Be happy that we're at least getting the clocks.

I agree that this is long overdue, but the bitching about the limitations of the system aren't. Clever Devices is expensive, the MTA is doing what they can. Be happy that we're at least getting the clocks.

Those clocks are being put up on Staten Island due to monies from the Borough president's office., not the (MTA). The (MTA) can't afford that.

Those clocks are being put up on Staten Island due to monies from the Borough president's office., not the (MTA). The (MTA) can't afford that.

Whatever the source, it's great that we are seeing countdown clocks. His nitpicking was unnecessary, that was my point.

It's not Clever Devices, it's the fact that there isn't an ETA that gets me. Obviously MTA Bus Time is the final product chosen by the MTA and Clever Devices BusTime is gone and across the Hudson, but the ETA should definitely be included by the MTA at some point. The custom manufactured clocks like this were also a bad move because they probably won't be able to be modified to include an ETA without being completely rebuilt. If we can see more of the clocks like Clever installed on the M34, built into the shelter and easily modified to include different information, that would be great.

just wondering: when a RTS is transfered to MTA BUS, does the ads get ripped and then a MTA logo is painted to the rip side

Don't know about the ad, but if the bus says "MTA New York City Bus" on the side, they'll just rip out New York City and leave MTA Bus:

9256922089_5464e697f9.jpg
IMG_7979 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

You can see what was ripped off.
Edited by GojiMet86

I was talking to my aunt about FP today & we both agreed that their best bus right now is the Orion VII Hybrid (1st-Gen), (and that their RTS's and the Next Gens suck). I hope FP keeps them until they retire. If they have to put up everything else they have, they at least have something that's actually good.

Don't know about the ad, but if the bus says "MTA New York City Bus" on the side, they'll just rip out New York City and leave MTA Bus:

9256922089_5464e697f9.jpg

IMG_7979 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

You can see what was ripped off.

Really all depends on the depot. Eastchester changes it immediately, LGA takes its time usually and even then doesn't do them all (good portion if not majority of their RTS still say NYCB), JFK never changes it at all. If you notice all the JFK artics still say NYC Bus.

I was talking to my aunt about FP today & we both agreed that their best bus right now is the Orion VII Hybrid (1st-Gen), (and that their RTS's and the Next Gens suck). I hope FP keeps them until they retire. If they have to put up everything else they have, they at least have something that's actually good.

That's because them 1st gens were (literal) flamethrowers lol. As good as the RTS is, they starting to show their age and it isn't looking good

...them NGs were crap as soon as they came to the Pond. Staten Island beat them buses up badly.

That's because them 1st gens were (literal) flamethrowers lol. As good as the RTS is, they starting to show their age and it isn't looking good

...them NGs were crap as soon as they came to the Pond. Staten Island beat them buses up badly.

I mean, I always liked the 4900-5000 series the most. But when the GMC's were around, their 93-9600s were good. And their 914xs (Cummings) was the next best catch next to catching a 5000 RTS. But now, FP RTS's are shit. And yes the Next Junk made the depot worse. I'm just lucky that I keep catching an RTS or 1st Gen Hybrid on the B38 whenever I'm in brooklyn. That split was the best idea. But I won't be suprised if they only hand the 4900s or 5000s to FP when they're f**ked up and close to retirement. Edited by E For Erica

Just a random thought, I totally miss those RTS's that had coach style seats if anyone remembers?  Was it like a test run or something?  I used to catch it all the time when they were on the B3.

Yeah, I wondered what those were. I remember seeing them back in the day on the Ulmer Park routes occasionally. Wondering what was the reason for them being bought in the first place.

Yeah, I wondered what those were. I remember seeing them back in the day on the Ulmer Park routes occasionally. Wondering what was the reason for them being bought in the first place.

Used mostly for express bus services in NYCTA. The MCI's took their place around the late 90's and most got their coach seating removed (although some still preserved coach seating thought the early 2000's) so they can be used for local bus service. They ranged from 9250-9349 for the 1996 RTS suburbans.