BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know where I can find the mtas farebox recovery ratio for lasr year and the research of average # passengers on a route?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free

MTA NYC subways and buses (excluding MTA Bus Comoany): 46 percent (source: http://www.ntdprogram.gov/ntdprogram/pubs/profiles/2011/agency_profiles/2008.pdf )

MTA Bus Company: 32 percent (source: http://www.ntdprogram.gov/ntdprogram/pubs/profiles/2011/agency_profiles/2188.pdf )

MTA Long Island Rail Road: 50 percent (source: http://www.ntdprogram.gov/ntdprogram/pubs/profiles/2011/agency_profiles/2100.pdf )

MTA Metro-North Railroad: 59 percent (source: http://www.ntdprogram.gov/ntdprogram/pubs/profiles/2011/agency_profiles/2078.pdf )

All are well above the national averages.

Glitch in the destination sign of the front. Side and back signs are normal. Its been like that for a few days, but should be fixed up in the next few days.

How sure are you that's glitch? Horizons generally don't change colors by a glitch...

Side signs are differently programmed, also.

Damnn SchedNYC taking mad long to update Manhattan. Didnt take this long for Bronx

The Bronx was wired way before it was official. Manhattan still has some bugs and stuff to get through before they actually update.

Glitch in the destination sign of the front. Side and back signs are normal. Its been like that for a few days, but should be fixed up in the next few days.

How sure are you that's glitch? Horizons generally don't change colors by a glitch...

Side signs are differently programmed, also.

Horizons or TITANS(in this case, all LFS Artic signs are Luminator TITANS) don't change colors through a glitch. This is no glitch either.

As far as I know, this is THE test bus to provide an alternate Select Bus Service light identification as an alternative from replacing the bulbs in the beacons. The colors are programmable into the signs. The entire Select Bus Service program for the M15 was programmed differently.

Edited by Cait Sith

So today I rode 184 on the Bx23... oh my lord, these buses run like dogs that need to be put down. Plus the B/O either took his foot off the brake/the brake was low on air or something because the bus was creeping and slowly drifting at one point while it was kneeled down at the Pelham Bay stop picking people up, plus the brakes were quite rough reaching 0 mph.

Real shame, too.

So today I rode 184 on the Bx23... oh my lord, these buses run like dogs that need to be put down. Plus the B/O either took his foot off the brake/the brake was low on air or something because the bus was creeping and slowly drifting at one point while it was kneeled down at the Pelham Bay stop picking people up, plus the brakes were quite rough reaching 0 mph.

Real shame, too.

Yeah I remember riding on all those Orion V's week after week on the Q112 when they had a lot of them. I remember there being some months where I would only catch 3-4 Orion VII's and the rest were Orion V's. They were good when they first came but the streets of New York was what really messed them up. I recently rode on 179, 181 and 184 after about a few months and it was definitely time for them to go. Everytime the bus would brake or accelerate the bus would jerk forward. I honestly don't know why those buses are sitting in storage because they are really bad.

This bus right here...i was never able to get a photo of it. till i found this photo. i only saw this bus running twice. never saw it again...i wonder how many they have (CSI). 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cal7001/10261903085/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cal7001/10089314765/

Eldorado Axxess... classic choice of First Transit for their college shuttle contracts. They bought a whole bunch for Rutgers the other year when they took their contract from Academy.

Not bad buses though, not too bad. If they're spec'd the same as the Rutgers ones they have auto announcements from Digital Recorders too.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

Eldorado Axxess... classic choice of First Transit for their college shuttle contracts. They bought a whole bunch for Rutgers the other year when they took their contract from Academy.

Not bad buses though, not too bad. If they're spec'd the same as the Rutgers ones they have auto announcements from Digital Recorders too.

Wow...i just googled the Rutgers type...looks great. hope those have an Allison in them

This bus right here...i was never able to get a photo of it. till i found this photo. i only saw this bus running twice. never saw it again...i wonder how many they have (CSI). 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cal7001/10261903085/

PHOTO_20131003_125134

Quite a handful. You'll always see them at St. George.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk 4

forgot to mention saw template of potential winter pick up on lga union looks q19 coming back to lga for the q53 to cp? qm24/25 are still at lga

This whole winter pick thing to me is backwards. CP should get the Q49 and Q23 instead of the Q53. LGA doesn't need to take on anymore routes so the Q19 should be staying at CP. Perhaps we may see an improvement since it's losing one of its biggest routes.

On the Q25 a few days ago I heard this bus driver and his friend talking and they were discussing something. I overheard them talking about the New Flyers and the bus operator was saying that CP may have to lose 185-229 to WF in return for some Orion VII CNG's. Then he said that CP's fleet was very new but he was not sure if the swap will happen.

Is this true and do buses get swapped out if the depot has a very young bus fleet especially a depot that is big like CP?

I'm hoping that's true but I would keep the 185-229 bacth and give em the last bacth

Just a random thought, I totally miss those RTS's that had coach style seats if anyone remembers?  Was it like a test run or something?  I used to catch it all the time when they were on the B3.

Yeah, I wondered what those were. I remember seeing them back in the day on the Ulmer Park routes occasionally. Wondering what was the reason for them being bought in the first place.

Yep, most certainly remember em....

As was already stated, they were used for express bus service.... As far as missing those things, personally I'm glad those things are gone... I haven't been on one of those buses where multiple seats on the bus were all ripped up; and at least one of them (the part of the seat your a$$ goes on) were completely detached from the rest of the seat - Which was dangerous AFAIC.....

I don't think I ever caught em on the B3.... When I took em, they were mainly on the B64...

They had em in Queens also; used to be on the Q77 a lot.....

This let's me know that I'm either getting old, the the forum members are getting really young.

Not this (about the RTS w/ the cushioned seating), but a lot of what's said on this forum lets me know I'm gettin up there in age....

What's a "fishbowl"... What's a "redbird".... We had subway lines that had double letters.... The list goes on....

Somewhat related, but one positive I will say about this "era" of transit hobbyists is that there are MUCH less foamers than they were back then.....

Explain cheaply. Old busses? Limited routes?

In this city, Select Bus Service (SBS) is nothing more than Limited service (with greater distance b/w bus stop spacing), of which are ran on buses with fancy paint jobs to differentiate from the rest of the buses in our fleet.....  It is an egregiously bastardized form of BRT.

yes and no  because there could be NIMBY opposition or certain routes are not suited for it

NIMBY opposition?

This is like saying there was NIMBY opposition to limited service to the routes that currently have LTD service.....

What NIMBY's are opposing local bus service in areas that already have local bus service?

forgot to mention saw template of potential winter pick up on lga union  looks q19 coming back to lga for the q53 to cp?  qm24/25 are still at lga  

I can understand the Q19 coming back to LGA, but the Q53 (of all routes) to CP? I don't see the logic in that.....