BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Are there any high floor buses that the mta can order? I want to know because I prefer those to the low floors

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free This is pretty much an educated guess, but the MTA probably stopped ordering high floor buses (Except for the MCI's) because the wheelchair accsessbilty wasn't really convient as the B/Os would have to walk to the back of the bus to let a wheelchair person on. As oppose to low floor buses which are faster & safer for wheelchair passangers as well as the B/Os since they can board them on in the front. Plus a low floor wheelchair platform that is already just a flat platform is probably less likley to malfunction compared to a wheelchair platform that start off as steps/stairs. Overall low floor buses are suppose to be faster, safer & more convient for everyone. But again, this is just a educated guess based on obvious factors. But it would be nice to see the MTA order RTS's again. I thought about a 2012-13 RTS model one time (And it was high floor)

I know all of that, but the thing is there is no manufacturers out there to make high floor buses

Millennium transportation (company that took over making novas) went bankrupt, so even if the mta wanted to they couldn't

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know all of that, but the thing is there is no manufacturers out there to make high floor buses

Millennium transportation (company that took over making novas) went bankrupt, so even if the mta wanted to they couldn't

I figured that they couldn't instead of the fact that they don't want to

if I'm not mistaken, the NABI 416 is still in production. They just won't sell buses to the MTA...

How's Bx46 ridership doing, now that it's been running for a while?

Also, how's Q70 ridership?

I see most of the Q70 quite empty... It doesn't seem anyone gets on at the LIRR either. 

Then again, I haven't seen it during Rush hour. Could be packed then.

It's a bit of a surprise that the Q70 is so empty yet the Q33 going to the airport was SRO all the time, and with mostly airport pax too.

MTA needs to market the Q70 more. Put it in one of those "improving nonstop" ads in the train cars, heavily advertise it on subway maps, Port Authority can help too putting signs about it around the terminals at LGA. 

I've seen a lot of SRO Q70s as I've been working around the Jackson Heights area lately. To say there are a lot of empty Q70s is like saying that there are a lot of empty Q47s, that's just not true at all. Saturdays and Sundays gets a good amount but not even close to SRO.

How's Bx46 ridership doing, now that it's been running for a while?

Also, how's Q70 ridership?

- Don't know about Q70 usage....

- Bx46 is a lost cause; I don't see any real ridership boost coming to that route in the next 5 years.... Pretty much, What you see now is what you're gonna get.... I at least see *some* hope in the Q70, B84, and the B32 (although w/ the latter 2, I still don't think they should've ever came to fruition)....

Where do you think those passengers went? The Q72?

Probably xferring over to the (N) to take M60's, instead of riding 7's out to 74th for the (old) Q33....

I don't think airport pax went over to the Q72 like that....

As if the M60 needs anymore pax... lol....

It's a bit of a surprise that the Q70 is so empty yet the Q33 going to the airport was SRO all the time, and with mostly airport pax too.

** B35 via Church says: Because the Q33 had a secondary riderbase... I don't believe most of the old Q33's ridership were that of airport pax.... I'd say it was close to being equal (on the lesser side, compared to those that took the Q33 south of the airport towards Roosevelt)....

Think about it, why would....

....It (Q33) still gets pretty heavy since its now just a feeder route.

(reply in blue)...

...It's also the same reason the Q48 hasn't gone under yet.

Edited by B35 via Church