BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A service center trip maybe, Cummins and CAT both in the Bx.

Was it an MCI?

No, it was a newer bus that I've seen used on the local bus lines in New Jersey. This bus specifically said "NO PASSENGERS" and I forget the other text below it, but it was clear that there was a driver in training... Female IIRC...

One would assume to give the trainee a wise range of unique conditions to deal with (traffic, street types, etc.), in addition to perhaps a better knowledge of the area should it ever be needed.

But don't take my word for it.

Well that's my point.  If you're in training, I don't know of any NJT buses that travel through the Upper East Side. Midtown would make more sense.

1) Because that's where the snobs are!?

2) NJT plans on sending some route to the east side??

3) What Turbo19 said??

^^ Those are my guesses... Lol....

I take it that you didn't care to look/notice what garage this bus was out of......

Anyway, where on the UES was this bus you saw? I remember seeing some of NJT's MCI's on various occasions traveling along 42nd (due eastbound) during the PM rush a couple years back..... Never thought anything of it at the time.....

LOL... Actually I had just finished up (rather rushed) a double espresso at one of spots nearby (café) and took my pastry to go and wasn't exactly thrilled about it because I thought the bus would be arriving sooner than it did based on its location on Bus Time, so my mind was on that and re-adjusting to the cold elements.  This was at 84th and Madison.  I was thinking about how I could've stayed inside longer and actually enjoyed my espresso.  I knew where the bus was but figured it wouldn't be too crowded seeing how late it was, but it had about almost 10 people on it by the time I got on.  There was an older white lady that had been waiting there for almost an hour.  I told her she could track the bus on her phone and she's like yeah that's a good idea. lol I said to myself, heh, with that bus only running hourly most of the day that's the only way I would take it.  I always track that bus in advance so that I don't miss it and so that my waits aren't too long.  It's usually always late too getting caught up in traffic on Madison or 5th so I try to catch it further up if I'm coming from Riverdale, this way I can stop off and have a coffee and a pastry and relax rather standing there for 30 - 40 minutes.

No, it was a newer bus that I've seen used on the local bus lines in New Jersey. This bus specifically said "NO PASSENGERS" and I forget the other text below it, but it was clear that there was a driver in training... Female IIRC...

Well that's my point. If you're in training, I don't know of any NJT buses that travel through the Upper East Side. Midtown would make more sense.

NOT IN SERVICE NO PASSENGERS- that's our NIS sign instead of simply NIS.

Wait what is this LBS thing on buses? What does it do and does it make the bus sound different?

LBSS is Load Based Shift Scheduling. Its a feature used for allison transmissions...so mta likes this feature so they used it on their buses and thats why the XD40s LFS C40LF and XD60s have the LBSS...so slow the buses down...and the shifting adjustes to the amount of people on the bus. When the LBSS is activated..it shifts like a ZF...until it gets to like 4-5 gear...then it sounds like a reg allison. Go to youtube...and look at some soundclips of the lbss buses..and then listen to buses that have it disabled...lbss is a economic shift pattern...when it ls deactived its in performance mode with really fast takeoffs

Wait what is this LBS thing on buses? What does it do and does it make the bus sound different?

LBSS is Load Based Shift Scheduling. Its a feature used for allison transmissions...so mta likes this feature so they used it on their buses and thats why the XD40s LFS C40LF and XD60s have the LBSS...so slow the buses down...and the shifting adjustes to the amount of people on the bus. When the LBSS is activated..it shifts like a ZF...until it gets to like 4-5 gear...then it sounds like a reg allison. Go to youtube...and look at some soundclips of the lbss buses..and then listen to buses that have it disabled...lbss is a economic shift pattern...when it ls deactived its in performance mode with really fast takeoffs

Well there's more to it than just that...

LBSS is more or less like a "fuel saver" so to speak. Yes, it does shift differently compared to buses that don't have it (ie: lower gear ratio), but at the same time, you get less power from the engine in higher gears (it would have a significantly lower RPM) at a lower rate of speed compared to other buses.

take A C40 that has it (lets say 345) compared to one that doesn't have it (we'll say 234). 234 spends more time in each gear unlike 345 which pretty much races through the gears. At about 35 mph, 345 would already be in 6th gear, while 234 would still be in 4th, therefore you getting more power from a higher RPM with 234 when it shifts.

Now since the (MTA) kinda dropped the ball on this one, LBSS can't be disabled by the driver when the "mode' button is on. Only about 2 XD40s and all the 200s at Gleason (with the exception of 230) do not have LBSS

Well there's more to it than just that...

LBSS is more or less like a "fuel saver" so to speak. Yes, it does shift differently compared to buses that don't have it (ie: lower gear ratio), but at the same time, you get less power from the engine in higher gears (it would have a significantly lower RPM) at a lower rate of speed compared to other buses.

take A C40 that has it (lets say 345) compared to one that doesn't have it (we'll say 234). 234 spends more time in each gear unlike 345 which pretty much races through the gears. At about 35 mph, 345 would already be in 6th gear, while 234 would still be in 4th, therefore you getting more power from a higher RPM with 234 when it shifts.

Now since the (MTA) kinda dropped the ball on this one, LBSS can't be disabled by the driver when the "mode' button is on. Only about 2 XD40s and all the 200s at Gleason (with the exception of 230) do not have LBSS

Ohh ok. And btw..its 4 XD40s 4819, 4833, 4836, 4865...and one LFS 8000.

heads up for anyone that is taking buses to and from the si ferry terminal on both ends due to whats happening on the ferry in manhattan

Delays  Posted: 11/14/2013  4:33PM 

Please be aware that Staten Island ferry service is operating on a modified schedule and may impact your travel time. 

Edited by BreeddekalbL

heads up for anyone that is taking buses to and from the si ferry terminal on both ends due to whats happening on the ferry in manhattan

Delays  Posted: 11/14/2013  4:33PM 

Please be aware that Staten Island ferry service is operating on a modified schedule and may impact your travel time. 

Whats happening in Manhattan?

The B1 is the heaviest local bus route in Brooklyn with no Limited service ( or probably in the whole City)...every single B1 bus is packed to the last row...and to the front doors...tell me how you have 3 buses bunched....4876, 4865, and 4884...and every single bus jammed pack...i like it...but it needs limited stop service. 

Since I ride the B1 a lot...i can tell you that from Monday-Friday...7:30-11am. Buses are packed...no standing room, with 2-3 buses bunched and all packed...

then 2-8pm oh my goshh its like the M15 SBS. Buses bunched up...every bus packed...in BOTH directions...and 86st traffic don't help...

i would suggest 4-5min frequency of buses...instead of the 7-8 it has...cause eventually its going to get bad. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

The b1 is the heaviest local bus route in Brooklyn with no Limited service ( or probably in the whole City)...every single B1 bus is packed to the last row...and to the front doors...tell me how you have 3 buses bunched....4876, 4865, and 4884...and every single bus jammed pack...i like it...but it needs limited stop service. 

Since I ride the B1 a lot...i can tell you that from Monday-Friday...7:30-11am. Buses are packed...no standing room, with 2-3 buses bunched and all packed...

then 2-8pm oh my goshh its like the M15 SBS. Buses bunched up...every bus packed...in BOTH directions...and 86st traffic don't help...

i would suggest 4-5min frequency of buses...instead of the 7-8 it has...cause eventually its going to get bad. 

Tell that to the people on the B15...buses coming 3-5 in a bunch at all times of the day and on occasion 2-3 in a bunch on 45 minute headways overnights

Edited by Fresh Pond

The B1 is the heaviest local bus route in Brooklyn with no Limited service ( or probably in the whole City)...every single B1 bus is packed to the last row...and to the front doors...tell me how you have 3 buses bunched....4876, 4865, and 4884...and every single bus jammed pack...i like it...but it needs limited stop service. 

This is a Brooklyn wide issue not only exclusive to the :bus_bullet_b1: .

The :bus_bullet_b4: . :bus_bullet_b15: , :bus_bullet_b35: , :bus_bullet_b41: , :bus_bullet_b44: , :bus_bullet_b46: , & :bus_bullet_b49: are just a few of the Brooklyn routes that face identical issues.

And limited trips wouldn't help for shit to be quite honest. It'd just add to the clusterf**k. Case in point, look at Church Avenue.

The :bus_bullet_b4: . :bus_bullet_b15: , :bus_bullet_b35: , :bus_bullet_b41: , :bus_bullet_b44: , :bus_bullet_b46: , & :bus_bullet_b49: are just a few of the Brooklyn routes that face identical issues.

And limited trips wouldn't help for shit to be quite honest. It'd just add to the clusterf**k. Case in point, look at Church Avenue.

The B4 does not go through what the B1 goes through...not even close...the B15 maybe...the B35...ok that route is the same..(forgot about that one), the B41, B44, B46 all have limited service, shyt the B44 got SBS...and the B49?? are you serious...not even...

. Very accurate, I ride the B1 all the time when I go to Brooklyn and a limited would just add to the confusion as u already said. A change in headways is adequate. Also you could probably add the B3, B8, and B36 to that list also and the B4, I'm not 100% sold on but it makes some sense.

The B4 does not go through what the B1 goes through...not even close...the B15 maybe...the B35...ok that route is the same..(forgot about that one), the B41, B44, B46 all have limited service, shyt the B44 got SBS...and the B49?? are you serious...not even...

I suppose you neglected my last point. Limited service would add more bullshit. Just throw more local trips and be done with it.

. Very accurate, I ride the B1 all the time when I go to Brooklyn and a limited would just add to the confusion as u already said. A change in headways is adequate. Also you could probably add the B3, B8, and B36 to that list also and the B4, I'm not 100% sold on but it makes some sense.

Yeah, confusion is one factor, but another is bunching resulting from a large concentration of riders at limited stops. :bus_bullet_b35: is a good example of a poorly executed limited. :bus_bullet_b49: is another, but not as bad.

Have you ridden the B49, that route can turn into a nightmare in a hurry, I have ridden it all days of the week, all seasons etc, I have waited over an hour and a half on multiple occasions to have 4 buses sometimes come in a row. I have no idea how that route can be so catastrophic sometimes. That one directional limited confuses me and I am unclear of its significance. But it needs its own service increases, headways should be about 6 minutes rush hour, and 8-9 or 10 off peak, weekends should be 10, I think they are,....12 right now....but yeah, to put it simply, don't overlook the B49.

Have you ridden the B49, that route can turn into a nightmare in a hurry, I have ridden it all days of the week, all seasons etc, I have waited over an hour and a half on multiple occasions to have 4 buses sometimes come in a row. I have no idea how that route can be so catastrophic sometimes. That one directional limited confuses me and I am unclear of its significance. But it needs its own service increases, headways should be about 6 minutes rush hour, and 8-9 or 10 off peak, weekends should be 10, I think they are,....12 right now....but yeah, to put it simply, don't overlook the B49.

Well im not overlooking the B49..i know its a busy route....i just dont think its ridiculous like the B1.

In all seriousness...i guess with the new service update on the B1..they would add more frequencies...

and maybe tell all drivers to stop driving like 10-15mph and go. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888