BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

The B4 does not go through what the B1 goes through...not even close...the B15 maybe...the B35...ok that route is the same..(forgot about that one), the B41, B44, B46 all have limited service, shyt the B44 got SBS...and the B49?? are you serious...not even...

Have you ridden the B49, that route can turn into a nightmare in a hurry, I have ridden it all days of the week, all seasons etc, I have waited over an hour and a half on multiple occasions to have 4 buses sometimes come in a row. I have no idea how that route can be so catastrophic sometimes. That one directional limited confuses me and I am unclear of its significance. But it needs its own service increases, headways should be about 6 minutes rush hour, and 8-9 or 10 off peak, weekends should be 10, I think they are,....12 right now....but yeah, to put it simply, don't overlook the B49.

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you ridden the B49, that route can turn into a nightmare in a hurry, I have ridden it all days of the week, all seasons etc, I have waited over an hour and a half on multiple occasions to have 4 buses sometimes come in a row. I have no idea how that route can be so catastrophic sometimes. That one directional limited confuses me and I am unclear of its significance. But it needs its own service increases, headways should be about 6 minutes rush hour, and 8-9 or 10 off peak, weekends should be 10, I think they are,....12 right now....but yeah, to put it simply, don't overlook the B49.

Well im not overlooking the B49..i know its a busy route....i just dont think its ridiculous like the B1.

In all seriousness...i guess with the new service update on the B1..they would add more frequencies...

and maybe tell all drivers to stop driving like 10-15mph and go. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

I know this route probably isn't as relevant, but the  :bus_bullet_b38: has been terrible lately. That was my last home route before I moved to Queens and being in Brooklyn in the past, it was a pretty good route. But now, FP has that route almost f*cked up! The Limited service seems to be slower and certain B/Os turn the Limited into a local whenever they feel like it for no reason. Like today. A good part of my life is still in Brooklyn so I still take that route whenever I need to (Which has been a lot lately) and honestly, the GA local part of that route is better than the FP Limited part. Sad to admit but true. Then again, It must take some teamwork to manage a route that comes from two depots. But I hope the 38 gets better.

Edited by E For Erica

That movie RTS 4430 (the Red Hook one) is (or was) under Riverside Drive and 125th Street. I actually first saw it on my way to school at around 8:30, and then when I came back, I saw it was still there, at 12:00. I don't know if it has moved yet, but it's been in the same spot for at least 4 hours.

Edited by GojiMet86

so I got a funny story that happened to me last night...

Last night I was with 3 of my friends at Pelham Bay waiting for the Bx12 SBS to Inwood talking about how they stick 5300s on the +select from time to time and how much I despise the 5300s. So the +select comes (it was a 1200) and everyone starts to go to the machine and gets their tickets. I had my wallet inside my bookbag which I was wearing under my coat so it took me a while to get my wallet. Everyone else had their tickets and as I was getting my ticket out the machine, the driver closed the doors and left me at the stop with my friends on the bus. I'm just there in total shock and laughing to myself that it happened so I get a call from one of them saying that they gonna get off at the next stop (Eastchester Rd) and get on the next bus I would get. So I waited like 2 minutes for the next one and guess what shows up...

I get 5307...

I say screw it and get on the bus anyway, and Once I get on the bus, I notice that we are heading to Bay Plaza mall. I go to the front and ask the driver is he going to Inwood and he says yes. I sit in the front and look at what he doing and come to find out, he missed the turn to get onto Pelham Pkwy and had to go Bartow Av to turn back around. So I call my friend again to tell her what happened and she's just laughing at me. Dispatcher calling the bus but he's ignoring it. Eventually we get back on route and as we get to Eastchester Rd (the stop where my friends are), he goes right past the stop with no intention of stopping. I get another call from her and she's asking me what the hell is going on and I told her that I don't even know. I tell them to hop on the next one and I'll get off at the next stop (Williamsbridge Rd I think) and get on their bus.

so I got a funny story that happened to me last night...

I had my wallet inside my bookbag which I was wearing under my coat so it took me a while to get my wallet. Everyone else had their tickets and as I was getting my ticket out the machine, the driver closed the doors and left me at the stop with my friends on the bus.

Sorry this was the funniest part of the story for me. Whole story could of been avoid for one mis-step.

I think I seen more subway shuttles today than actual bus routes in service..... lol...

{For starters, I walked to church av (B)(Q) early this morning - to find out I had to walk to the caton side of the station to take a dam shuttle bus to Atlantic - luckily, the ride only took like 15 mins (if that), because no one got on or off any of the stops in-between... that, plus it was around 5am; dam near empty on f'bush..... Where those buses drop you off kinda sucks though (4th/dean)....}

What would be interesting (and somewhat comical) is if the MTA were to come out w/ a subway shuttle service bus map.....

The B1 is the heaviest local bus route in Brooklyn with no Limited service ( or probably in the whole City)...every single B1 bus is packed to the last row...and to the front doors...tell me how you have 3 buses bunched....4876, 4865, and 4884...and every single bus jammed pack...i like it...but it needs limited stop service. 

Since I ride the B1 a lot...i can tell you that from Monday-Friday...7:30-11am. Buses are packed...no standing room, with 2-3 buses bunched and all packed...

then 2-8pm oh my goshh its like the M15 SBS. Buses bunched up...every bus packed...in BOTH directions...and 86st traffic don't help...

i would suggest 4-5min frequency of buses...instead of the 7-8 it has...cause eventually its going to get bad. 

I won't jump on you the way others did, because I get the point you're trying to make (the B1 does see heavy loads at any part of the trip from end to end).... but I wouldn't be so certain that the B1 is the heaviest in all of the city (of which does not have limited service).... You might have helped your case if you said the B1 is probably the most efficient in Bklyn. of those that don't have LTD service that travel longer distances than your dinky shuttle type routes (B42, 74, etc).....

However, LTD service would not solve anything (tell BrooklynBus that a B1 LTD would ease passenger loads over there @ KCC).... On the B1, it's not a matter of the masses not using intermediate stops... Matter fact, the B1 sees a lot of usage on (what wouldn't be) LTD stops if a LTD happened to be thrown onto it - this includes 86th st under the (D) & 86th, west of the (D)..... You know this.

Increased service, that I agree with... But where is it gonna come from, is the question (unfortunately)....

Edited by B35 via Church

I won't jump on you the way others did, because I get the point you're trying to make (the B1 does see heavy loads at any part of the trip from end to end).... but I wouldn't be so certain that the B1 is the heaviest in all of the city (of which does not have limited service).... You might have helped your case if you said the B1 is probably the most efficient in Bklyn. of those that don't have LTD service that travel longer distances than your dinky shuttle type routes (B42, 74, etc).....

However, LTD service would not solve anything (tell BrooklynBus that a B1 LTD would ease passenger loads over there @ KCC).... On the B1, it's not a matter of the masses not using intermediate stops... Matter fact, the B1 sees a lot of usage on (what wouldn't be) LTD stops if a LTD happened to be thrown onto it - this includes 86th st under the (D) & 86th, west of the (D)..... You know this.

Increased service, that I agree with... But where is it gonna come from, is the question (unfortunately)....

I see what you mean. I can 100% agree with increased service...

Where is it going to come from? I think Ulmer Park has it already...they have a lot of buses for those 6 routes...(technically 5 with the B74 which only needs like 5 at most)

we just had a debate about this regarding the b12 and b25 signs, now this goes to the buses that terminate at downtown brooklyn tillary street   the  :bus_bullet_b26:  :bus_bullet_b38: and  :bus_bullet_b38_ltd:   :bus_bullet_b52:  on their signs say:

Downtown Brooklyn 
Tillary street 

While the  :bus_bullet_b41: and  :bus_bullet_b41_ltd: have signs that read:

Downtown Brooklyn 
Cadman Plz

where is the consistency here?

we just had a debate about this regarding the b12 and b25 signs, now this goes to the buses that terminate at downtown brooklyn tillary street   the  :bus_bullet_b26:  :bus_bullet_b38: and  :bus_bullet_b38_ltd:   :bus_bullet_b52:  on their signs say:

Downtown Brooklyn 

Tillary street 

While the  :bus_bullet_b41: and  :bus_bullet_b41_ltd: have signs that read:

Downtown Brooklyn 

Cadman Plz

where is the consistency here?

I brought that up a while back...even the B103 says Tillary St

$35 round trip for a shuttle bus to Woodbury Commons?

http://www.gotowoodbury.com/

Yeah, no.

(A free ride on the Rego Park Shuttle with Prevost will always beat a $35 round trip ride with a cutaway can).

I chuckled when I read this:

http://www.gotowoodbury.com/news.php?id=145