BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Brownsville always get the crap old buses that no one wants.

Not true. ENY got the XD40's from UP even though those weren't so new, and they got brand new hybrids back in 2006/07. Grand Ave got brand new NG's back in 2009.

Edited by Jdog14

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not true. ENY got the XD40's from UP even though those weren't so new, and they got brand new hybrids back in 2006/07. Grand Ave got brand new NG's back in 2009.

so it's just East New York & Jackie Gleason routes & the B60 from Grand Ave Depot in the ville. Hmm coulda sworn a Fresh Pond route went throught it too.

The only routes that go through Brownsville are...

B7 (Pond) (around the border with Ocean Hill/Bed-Stuy and with East Flatbush/Remsen Village)

B8 (Gleason)

B12 (ENY) (around the border with Ocean Hill/Bed-Stuy and with ENY)

B14 (ENY)

B15 (ENY)

B35 (Gleason)

B47 (Grand) (around the border with East Flatbush/Remsen Village)

B60 (Grand, Fresh Pond has 2 school trippers)

One could argue the B20/83 but that area is usually called ENY

Edited by Fresh Pond

True or False: Bus fanners often spend more than subway fanners.

Since you said subway fanners, I'd say the statement is true - since for the most part those of the latter don't leave the system during the "trip"....

Now had you said railfanners, it would require more thought.....

Something must've happened to 5868, cuz its got a new face,

It's got those ugly numbers they use after a repaint but it doesn't look like a full repaint...

It was involved in an accident. Had the front fixed.

I noticed some buses have that real engine sound, meaning you can hear that diesel fuel burning, really kicking in. Then theres buses that sound like musical instruments. All fancy shifting and such.

Q67 gets canned for being outspoken and cussing at Qj, but you have users on here that make racist comments and generalizations about groups of people without any form of repercussion? Sure Q67 was being an ass and there's no defense for his actions but for Christ's sake if you're going to punish him for being the way he is then punish these racist douchebags for being the way they are.

Edited by ScreechyFlange

Q67 gets canned for being outspoken and cussing at Qj, but you have users on here that make racist comments and generalizations about groups of people without any form of repercussion? Sure Q67 was being an ass and there's no defense for his actions but for Christ's sake if you're going to punish him for being the way he is then punish these racist douchebags for being the way they are.

hmmm Interesting...

It was involved in an accident. Had the front fixed.

I see. Thanks for the intel.

Q67 gets banned for being outspoken and cussing at Qj, but you have users on here that make racist comments and generalizations about groups of people without any form of repercussion? Sure Q67 was being an ass and there's no defense for his actions but for Christ's sake if you're going to punish him for being the way he is then punish these racist douchebags for being the way they are.

Great post, SF.  ;)

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Interesting to see 2410 on the x17.

Why is that? You know how Staten Island is.... In the past they would always radio B/O's (put out broadcasts if you will) to see what B/O's wanted to do extra trips.  The depot didn't necessarily matter either, so even though Charleston is open on weekends, don't be too shocked to see Yukon taking some X17 trips on weekends.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Surprised to see no 40 footers on articulated routes...yet.

From what I understand this was a call made by some of the higher ups that there simply weren't enough 40-footers available to take the artics off like they did a few weeks ago (which was on a weekend). Manhattanville, which filled in for TU that weekend, needs about 205 buses to make service on a given weekday so between buses OOS and the like there just weren't enough 40-footers around to send to TU.

Can an express bus driver take a bus out of service just because a passenger won't stop talking on her(woman in my case)cell phone after being told not to?

Man......

why is he/she B/O stopping someone from talking on the phone? Its her phone...she spends her money on her phone, she can talk as freely as she wants. B/Os be trippin sometimes. I can understand if she was super loud and the B/O wanted her to lower her voice, but as long as im not making loud noise, littering, smoking, spiting, vandalizing, or being rude on the bus, then dont bother me or tell me what to do.

As for putting the bus OOS, are you crazy? Why would you want that? Only time a B/O could/should put a bus OOS is if theres a problem with the bus itself, crazy passenger, or some substance thats affecting everyone on the bus. I would hate for a B/O to put a bus OOS, especially in weather like this, and you know how inconvient that would be? Hell, someone vomited all in the last row of a B36 bus one day, whole bus smelled like vomit, and although it was a substance that affected everyone on the bus, he kept it in service till the end of the route since it was packed and he was running late.

Can an express bus driver take a bus out of service just because a passenger won't stop talking on her(woman in my case)cell phone after being told not to?

Man......

why is he/she B/O stopping someone from talking on the phone? Its her phone...she spends her money on her phone, she can talk as freely as she wants. B/Os be trippin sometimes. I can understand if she was super loud and the B/O wanted her to lower her voice, but as long as im not making loud noise, littering, smoking, spiting, vandalizing, or being rude on the bus, then dont bother me or tell me what to do.

As for putting the bus OOS, are you crazy? Why would you want that? Only time a B/O could/should put a bus OOS is if theres a problem with the bus itself, crazy passenger, or some substance thats affecting everyone on the bus. I would hate for a B/O to put a bus OOS, especially in weather like this, and you know how inconvient that would be? Hell, someone vomited all in the last row of a B36 bus one day, whole bus smelled like vomit, and although it was a substance that affected everyone on the bus, he kept it in service till the end of the route since it was packed and he was running late.

Ewww

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Man......

Bleeegh... I'd a been off that bus voluntarily.

As for taking it out of service, depends on the situation I guess. But for a cell phone... :huh:

Edited by Missabassi

As for taking it out of service, depends on the situation I guess. But for a cell phone...  :huh:

Man......

On most express buses, there are signs that clearly say NO CELL PHONES, especially on the newer buses such as the ones out of Yonkers Depot (posted at the very end of the bus in the back, or towards the front behind the B/O's area), which means NO TALKING ON THE CELL PHONE and some B/O's do enforce that rule.  The reason is because there are too many people that lay on their cell phones yacking endlessly about utter BS, and if you have a commute for over an hour or more and you have to be subjected to someone yelling in your ear the entire time it can create a serious problem.  I've seen arguments break out because of it.  It's usually non-regulars that are rude and do it, but you have some obnoxious regulars that do it too from time to time, and I myself have turned around and told a few people off.

It's about etiquette.  Express bus riders pay a premium for a reason, and it isn't just about a quicker commute.  We also don't want to deal with loud and obnoxious people yelling on their cell phones at 07:00 or 08:00 in the morning when you haven't even arrived in the office yet.  When you've worked for a good 10+ hours, the last thing you want to hear is someone yacking in your ear about nonsense.  You want a quiet ride to work or home or wherever you're going.  That's why they created quiet cars on Metro-North and the LIRR because there were complaints from riders that too many people were disturbing everyone around them yacking constantly on their cell phones.

It's the same reason why cell phones are looked down upon in movie theatres and other public places.  There's a time and a place for talking on your cell phone, and unfortunately some people don't understand that.

I remember last year, I was on a BxM1 and this lady was talking on her cell phone like she was at home.  Another lady across from her was reading the NY Times and she whirled around and said "EXCUSE ME!!! EXCUSE ME!!! There is no talking on cell phones on the express bus!! and she refused to let her continue that conversation.  I was all the way in the back and just smirked because I've been much nastier and have whirled around and just said something like "Do you see anyone else talking on this bus?? SHUT UP!!" I had an old couple that had been talking non-stop from the time I got on and sat in front of them.  The B/O got on the speaker and said that cell phones weren't allowed probably because he assumed they were yacking on their cell phones, but he also wanted them to get the hint that they should shut up because they were too damn loud and were disturbing everyone else including him I imagine, so after listening to them for almost an hour, I lost it and turned around and just gave it to them.  They were lost as to what the problem was, but they were literally giving me a headache.  Couldn't get a nap or anything with these two arguing at 08:00 in the morning about nonsense... Ridiculous.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

If it walks like a duck...

if it quacks like a duck...

If I shoot the damn thing, take it home, cook it and it tastes like a duck...

Then I get to name it Daffy.

Poisonally, I prefoi hamboigeh... :D

As for taking it out of service, depends on the situation I guess. But for a cell phone...  :huh:

Man......

On most express buses, there are signs that clearly say NO CELL PHONES, especially on the newer buses such as the ones out of Yonkers Depot (posted at the very end of the bus in the back, or towards the front behind the B/O's area), which means NO TALKING ON THE CELL PHONE and some B/O's do enforce that rule.  The reason is because there are too many people that lay on their cell phones yacking endlessly about utter BS, and if you have a commute for over an hour or more and you have to be subjected to someone yelling in your ear the entire time it can create a serious problem.  I've seen arguments break out because of it.  It's usually non-regulars that are rude and do it, but you have some obnoxious regulars that do it too from time to time, and I myself have turned around and told a few people off.

It's about etiquette.  Express bus riders pay a premium for a reason, and it isn't just about a quicker commute.  We also don't want to deal with loud and obnoxious people yelling on their cell phones at 07:00 or 08:00 in the morning when you haven't even arrived in the office yet.  When you've worked for a good 10+ hours, the last thing you want to hear is someone yacking in your ear about nonsense.  You want a quiet ride to work or home or wherever you're going.  That's why they created quiet cars on Metro-North and the LIRR because there were complaints from riders that too many people were disturbing everyone around them yacking constantly on their cell phones.

It's the same reason why cell phones are looked down upon in movie theatres and other public places.  There's a time and a place for talking on your cell phone, and unfortunately some people don't understand that.

I remember last year, I was on a BxM1 and this lady was talking on her cell phone like she was at home.  Another lady across from her was reading the NY Times and she whirled around and said "EXCUSE ME!!! EXCUSE ME!!! There is no talking on cell phones on the express bus!! and she refused to let her continue that conversation.  I was all the way in the back and just smirked because I've been much nastier and have whirled around and just said something like "Do you see anyone else talking on this bus?? SHUT UP!!" I had an old couple that had been talking non-stop from the time I got on and sat in front of them.  The B/O got on the speaker and said that cell phones weren't allowed probably because he assumed they were yacking on their cell phones, but he also wanted them to get the hint that they should shut up because they were too damn loud and were disturbing everyone else including him I imagine, so after listening to them for almost an hour, I lost it and turned around and just gave it to them.  They were lost as to what the problem was, but they were literally giving me a headache.  Couldn't get a nap or anything with these two arguing at 08:00 in the morning about nonsense... Ridiculous.

Oh, I use the express buses, so I know... :lol:

But I wouldn't think a local bus op would go oos over that...