BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did u know Yukon Prevost have cameras?

Yeah so do the Ulmer Park ones... You just realized that now? 

---

On a side note, coming home last night on the BxM2, I saw an RTS on the M79... Had to do a double take... On weekends I'm on the Upper East Side a lot and I've been seeing a lot of 40 footers on the M79 of late.  Is Quill that short on buses???  <_<

Yeah so do the Ulmer Park ones... You just realized that now? 

---

On a side note, coming home last night on the BxM2, I saw an RTS on the M79... Had to do a double take... On weekends I'm on the Upper East Side a lot and I've been seeing a lot of 40 footers on the M79 of late.  Is Quill that short on buses???  <_<

They're not short. They're just placings 40 footers on artic routes due to the weather.

I've never seen those... The ones I'm talking about are all the way in the back where the other signs are located.  On some of the Yonkers express buses they're also behind the B/O.

They're on the BM's; the older MCI's.... smh everytime I notice it (or any other writings in marker on the bus, albeit express or local)...

They're on the BM's; the older MCI's.... smh everytime I notice it (or any other writings in marker on the bus, albeit express or local)...

lol... I don't even pay attention to it either... I was on the BM3 a few Thursday mornings ago as a matter of fact.  I think I was more focused on how few riders got on than anything else. 

Precisely. They're trying to avoid the shitstorm they had a while ago with a bunch of those artics being stuck on the street.

Why were they stuck on the street exactly? I assume it was the newer artics right?

I ride the X10 the most. Only rode the prevost 3 times.

2447, 2419, 2427 (yesterday). I saw them on 2427. Thats when I was like...woahm.cameras. since im so used to them not being on express buses. Like those 22xx at CAS.

Yeah I get sort of freaked out when I'm on the X27...  :ph34r:

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

lol... I don't even pay attention to it either... I was on the BM3 a few Thursday mornings ago as a matter of fact. I think I was more focused on how few riders got on than anything else.

Why were they stuck on the street exactly? I assume it was the newer artics right?

Hes talking about the blizzard of 2010 that the MTA wasnt ready for and buses were all stuck on the road. D60HFs mainly.

Ahh I see... I still don't understand that... It's ridiculous that the (MTA) spend hundreds of thousands of dollars per bus and have to be so careful using them in snow storms.

Well artic buses have the extra wheel axle that slides in snow and ice. Due to the law of physics, you cant simply control the back half of the artics since its very easy to slide in conditions like that.

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Well artic buses have the extra wheel axle that slides in snow and ice. Due to the law of physics, you cant simply control the back half of the artics since its very easy to slide in conditions like that.

I got it but it's still crazy...

---

Well I had an interesting day today... After coming back from Westchester from a tutoring session, since I realized that my ticket hadn't been collected yet on Metro-North, I got off at Fordham to avoid having to use my ticket for the return trip to Grand Central, and decided to walk over to the BxM4 to get to the city.  My first time on Fordham Road... LOL! What a culture shock.  :o  I did find Fordham University nice though, but the rest I could do without.

I got it but it's still crazy...

---

Well I had an interesting day today... After coming back from Westchester from a tutoring session, since I realized that my ticket hadn't been collected yet on MetroNorth, I got off at Fordham to avoid having to use my ticket for the return trip to Grand Central, and decided to walk over to the BxM4 to get to the city. My first time on Fordham Road... LOL! What a culture shock. I did find Fordham University nice though, but the rest I could do without.

In other words...ghetto?

Ahh I see... I still don't understand that... It's ridiculous that the (MTA) spend hundreds of thousands of dollars per bus and have to be so careful using them in snow storms.

Probably a calculated expenditure...you figure the buses only need to be out of service around ten days per year on the major blizzards, and the rest of the time capacity is significantly increased. 

In other words...ghetto?

LOL... Not only ghetto, but for a commercial/shopping area, it's pretty run down.  I'm surprised that with Fordham University being so close (a pretty expensive private university) that they wouldn't want things more spruced up... Of course someone had to try to ask me for money, but the look that I gave him and my response sent him on his way pretty quickly. He was like excuse me sir, I don't mean to disturb you while you're waiting for your bus...  I just cut him off before he could even finish, and said "Yeah... Not interested", and the tone of my voice sent the message loud and clear that either you keep it moving or you're going to have a problem real fast.  Not that I was cranky or anything, but I was rather annoyed that he'd have the audacity to even approach me to ask me for money and I think my whole demeanor showed it.

Probably a calculated expenditure...you figure the buses only need to be out of service around ten days per year on the major blizzards, and the rest of the time capacity is significantly increased. 

I would hope so because this has been going on with the M79 for WEEKS now.... Just about every weekend I see 40 footers on the line.  I saw the same thing on the Concourse while on the BxM4 today too.

Hes talking about the blizzard of 2010 that the MTA wasnt ready for and buses were all stuck on the road. D60HFs mainly.

I was actually talking about one of the recent snow storms, artics both old and new were stuck along 2nd avenue and other parts in the city because of the amount of snow in some places. Artics were skidding and jackknifing along the way.

LOL... Not only ghetto, but for a commercial/shopping area, it's pretty run down.  I'm surprised that with Fordham University being so close (a pretty expensive private university) that they wouldn't want things more spruced up... Of course someone had to try to ask me for money, but the look that I gave him and my response sent him on his way pretty quickly. He was like excuse me sir, I don't mean to disturb you while you're waiting for your bus...  I just cut him off before he could even finish, and said "Yeah... Not interested", and the tone of my voice sent the message loud and clear that either you keep it moving or you're going to have a problem real fast.  Not that I was cranky or anything, but I was rather annoyed that he'd have the audacity to even approach me to ask me for money and I think my whole demeanor showed it.

What does this have to do with surface transit? Really now.

Edited by realizm

What does this have to do with surface transit? Really now.

Please stop trying to moderate my posts.  You are not a mod, so stop acting like one.  You have a comment on every post that I make, even when I'm having a conversation with another member.  If you have a problem with my posts, take it up with a mod.  

Please stop trying to moderate my posts.  You are not a mod, so stop acting like one.  You have a comment on every post that I make, even when I'm having a conversation with another member.  If you have a problem with my posts, take it up with a mod.

Its not moderating, you are offending me. I used to live off Fordham road. Many are sick and tired of you putting people down in poorer neighborhoods.

I'm entitled to my opinion as you are yours. If it offends you well, you're free to ignore it.

And I'm free to challenge it. You can put away your victim card, point is many are fed up ith you and your injection of insults where it pertains to your so called resentment of the lower class wherever you go.

Welcome to the internet. Taking about poor ones and such with no shame. In my own neighborhood.

Exactly.

But on this note it's sickening how some try to get hard with the transients down on their luck but won't do the same to others.

Thats my point.

Edited by realizm

And I'm free to challenge it.

Welcome to the internet. Taking about poor ones and such with no shame. In my own neighborhood.

I talked about what I saw, which was that the commercial strip could be spruced up... Has nothing to do with economic class... It's a question of the city needing to invest in the area... OMG I'm offended!  <_<