BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Okay because I usually go outside of Jamaica Depot and take pictures of whatever's outside of the depot. I like to go there on sunset!

If you go to Eastchester, take pictures on the street. There is a parking space in the scrap lot that is private property. As tempting as it is, do not go inside, because I've been told once already that one can take pictures from the street, but not on the lot.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rode an ENY Xcelsior today...4846, and the rear seats felt so low from the last row. On the UP batch, the seats feel high up and leveled...but that bus had the seats looking micro...it was an odd feeling.

I just noticed that the XD40's basically have the same transmission as the C40LF's lol. Except the C40LF's have that CNG brake sound of course. 

I just noticed that the XD40's basically have the same transmission as the C40LF's lol. Except the C40LF's have that CNG brake sound of course.

Yup and that's not even how the buses are suppose to sound...MTA changed the shifting on the Allison B400R transmission to make it accelerate slower and change gears faster.

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

The only difference is the fuel it runs on...same transmission and more or less the same engine, just a different fuel type

Yup and that's not even how the buses are suppose to sound...MTA changed the shifting on the Allison B400R transmission to make it accelerate slower and change gears faster.

The gears are changing quicker at a lower rpm, so it isn't getting the power it's needed

They changed the LFS transmission too right?

Only on the Allison ones

They have trouble keeping those wrapped Orion VII's on the s79. Might as well not have buses wrapped at all. Bus operators pick whatever bus is available and it reminds me of Long Island Bus. They could have many buses that broke down leave them in the lot and the next day another driver then drives the bad bus. The problem is communication drivers should be told not to use those buses for any other line except the S79.

I don't know if you guys noticed it, but the express bus timetable covers got a bit more greener (of those effective as of January 5, 2014, and on) ...

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x001cur.pdf

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x063cur.pdf

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x064cur.pdf

It's not a big chance, but I prefer this new format over the old.

I'm surprised none of you posted about the cop who was shot in Crown Heights today for stopping two criminals who tried to sneak in the back of the bus.

I thought there some notice of this somewhere here...

Although, it isn't surprising to here this, given this happened in Crown Heights.

Although, it isn't surprising to here this, given this happened in Crown Heights.

Twas in the off-topic side of town where RollOverMyHead made a post about it...

I was on the bus today and I heard an announcement over the radio. They asked if any B46 operators had the altercation on their bus to call console. Didn't think nothing of it then I saw on the news that a cop was shot pulling off a farebeater in the 46

Edited by Fresh Pond

This could've happened in Glendale, Howard Beach, Williamsburg, Midtown, Van Cortlandt, Freeport, or the bus stop where you get on the bus. People with guns ride the buses from somewhere to somewhere and points in between. Stop the nonsense, ok?

This cop getting shot thing just goes to show...if you aren't a cop, it ain't worth arguing with a farebeater or you may just get killed. 

Exactly. Imagine a B/O seeing someone coming in the back and (s)he's just doing her/his job and gets popped. We all remember the whacked out young woman who punched a B/O in the face over a dog awhile back. In these days and times no matter where you are it's best to let the authorities handle it.

This could've happened in Glendale, Howard Beach, Williamsburg, Midtown, Van Cortlandt, Freeport, or the bus stop where you get on the bus. People with guns ride the buses from somewhere to somewhere and points in between. Stop the nonsense, ok?

I am aware that people who own and carry guns can be anywhere, and at anytime. What's your point?

Twas in the off-topic side of town where RollOverMyHead made a post about it...

I was on the bus today and I heard an announcement over the radio. They asked if any B46 operators had the altercation on their bus to call console. Didn't think nothing of it then I saw on the news that a cop was shot pulling off a farebeater in the 46

Oh okay, because I knew I saw it somewhere on here before earlier, and I couldn't put my nail on it. Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

I'm surprised none of you posted about the cop who was shot in Crown Heights today for stopping two criminals who tried to sneak in the back of the bus.

My thoughts and prayers to his family, but I do the same thing on the northbound-M15 SBS and once on the M34A. Does that make me a criminal?(Not to jump off topic on your point, but sometimes there are reasons why people try to get on in the back, although in this case I don't know the circumstances).

5525 needs its ad sign replaced on the right-hand side. Also saw a new sign go up at 51st and 3rd for the QM1, 2, 4, 5 and 6. The green paint was glossy, so I know it's new. Plus, they stuck the QM5 on there and for some reason, still don't have the 5 in its proper numerical order.

Edited by lupojohn