BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

This could've happened in Glendale, Howard Beach, Williamsburg, Midtown, Van Cortlandt, Freeport, or the bus stop where you get on the bus. People with guns ride the buses from somewhere to somewhere and points in between. Stop the nonsense, ok?

I am aware that people who own and carry guns can be anywhere, and at anytime. What's your point?

Twas in the off-topic side of town where RollOverMyHead made a post about it...

I was on the bus today and I heard an announcement over the radio. They asked if any B46 operators had the altercation on their bus to call console. Didn't think nothing of it then I saw on the news that a cop was shot pulling off a farebeater in the 46

Oh okay, because I knew I saw it somewhere on here before earlier, and I couldn't put my nail on it. Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised none of you posted about the cop who was shot in Crown Heights today for stopping two criminals who tried to sneak in the back of the bus.

My thoughts and prayers to his family, but I do the same thing on the northbound-M15 SBS and once on the M34A. Does that make me a criminal?(Not to jump off topic on your point, but sometimes there are reasons why people try to get on in the back, although in this case I don't know the circumstances).

5525 needs its ad sign replaced on the right-hand side. Also saw a new sign go up at 51st and 3rd for the QM1, 2, 4, 5 and 6. The green paint was glossy, so I know it's new. Plus, they stuck the QM5 on there and for some reason, still don't have the 5 in its proper numerical order.

Edited by lupojohn

This could've happened in Glendale, Howard Beach, Williamsburg, Midtown, Van Cortlandt, Freeport, or the bus stop where you get on the bus. People with guns ride the buses from somewhere to somewhere and points in between. Stop the nonsense, ok?

I mean I mostly agree with you but c'mon, that shit doesn't go down in Midtown and you know it. The area doesn't have a huge effect, but it has some. This was one on one with a cop, as opposed to somewhere heavily policed.

I am aware that people who own and carry guns can be anywhere, and at anytime. What's your point?

"Although, it isn't surprising to here this, given this happened in Crown Heights." What's your point? That Crown Hts is a high crime area? That people in Crown Hts have shoot outs with police on a normal basis so this isn't surprising? I don't want to misinterpret your meaning so would you mind spelling it out?

I mean I mostly agree with you but c'mon, that shit doesn't go down in Midtown and you know it. The area doesn't have a huge effect, but it has some. This was one on one with a cop, as opposed to somewhere heavily policed.

People sneak in the back doors of buses in Midtown, Downtown, Downtown Brooklyn, Downtown Massachusetts, Bed-Stuy, Upper East Side or Coney Island. In this instance, in this case, the perp got on in Crown Heights and shot it out with two cops. That's what surprised me, that he pulled on two cops. That shows he was desperate to get away, no matter WHERE he got on. Anything after that are what ifs: What if the SOB's destination was Court & Montague and he was on his way back when the cops spotted him? Think he would've pulled?

What I'm saying is this: just because the crime happened in Crown Heights no one should assume that shoot outs happen only in Crown Heights or only in 'perceived' high crime nabes. The worst kinds of crime can and HAVE happened in the best places. Crown Heights is home to peoples of many nationalities and faiths from Agnostic to Zenophobe, Christian to Muslim, Black to White. It is by no means a place of paradise; it isn't a den of inequity either.

I understand we all have our personal views on situations varying from how much snow fell in China to how many S's in Mississippi. This forum we've come to love is about the MTA. We can argue back and forth about what car type ran on the Lex at 514PM last Tuesday or the type of tranny was being used on a particular bus based on the sound it makes. When controversial subjects (like this shooting) come up, we should ALL keep our personal opinions on the down low because just like in Crown Hts, there are people from all over who come here and the effort should be made not to offend any single one. As best we can.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

You pulled a VG8 in the matter of generalizing, talking down and stereotyping a neighborhood, which was f**ked up.

Speak of the devil I was wondering if he got banned cause we haven't heard from him and his Riverdale business in a while

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

"Although, it isn't surprising to here this, given this happened in Crown Heights." What's your point? That Crown Hts is a high crime area? That people in Crown Hts have shoot outs with police on a normal basis so this isn't surprising? I don't want to misinterpret your meaning so would you mind spelling it out?

People sneak in the back doors of buses in Midtown, Downtown, Downtown Brooklyn, Downtown Massachusetts, Bed-Stuy, Upper East Side or Coney Island. In this instance, in this case, the perp got on in Crown Heights and shot it out with two cops. That's what surprised me, that he pulled on two cops. That shows he was desperate to get away, no matter WHERE he got on. Anything after that are what ifs: What if the SOB's destination was Court & Montague and he was on his way back when the cops spotted him? Think he would've pulled?

What I'm saying is this: just because the crime happened in Crown Heights no one should assume that shoot outs happen only in Crown Heights or only in 'perceived' high crime nabes. The worst kinds of crime can and HAVE happened in the best places. Crown Heights is home to peoples of many nationalities and faiths from Agnostic to Zenophobe, Christian to Muslim, Black to White. It is by no means a place of paradise; it isn't a den of inequity either.

I understand we all have our personal views on situations varying from how much snow fell in China to how many S's in Mississippi. This forum we've come to love is about the MTA. We can argue back and forth about what car type ran on the Lex at 514PM last Tuesday or the type of tranny was being used on a particular bus based on the sound it makes. When controversial subjects (like this shooting) come up, we should ALL keep our personal opinions on the down low because just like in Crown Hts, there are people from all over who come here and the effort should be made not to offend any single one. As best we can.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

You pulled a VG8 in the matter of generalizing, talking down and stereotyping a neighborhood, which was f**ked up.

Well, I'm sorry if it sounded like a VG8 answer...

I'm not trying to talk down or stereotype the neighborhood, but I'm not trying to say it's not happening. I'm not saying that everyone is committing crimes or that it happens or all the time, but it does happen once in a while. Yeah, I do understand that this can happen anywhere. And no, I'm not trying to say Crown Heights is a high crime area, as crime is not 24/7 in that area, but it does happen on occasion. Not trying to say it's a living zoo there or anything.My mistake if it was misinterpreted.

My thoughts and prayers to his family, but I do the same thing on the northbound-M15 SBS and once on the M34A. Does that make me a criminal?(Not to jump off topic on your point, but sometimes there are reasons why people try to get on in the back, although in this case I don't know the circumstances).

Well the difference is, the B46 doesn't have SBS. Also, if you paid your fare and go through the back on the M15/M34 SBS, you're alright.

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

As I thought was clear in my post, I wasn't talking about farebeating as that does happen everywhere, I was talking about pulling a gun. People don't pull guns on cops in Midtown unless they've got a death wish, neighborhood is completely filled with police. Crown Heights is not. It's not wrong to say that this would be less likely in Midtown than a non-Manhattan neighborhood.

Nobody was assuming that; I wasn't, at least. I'm basically on the same page as you. But you gotta be honest and admit that Midtown is a bit of a ridiculous comparison to make...

Do any routes anywhere need to be changed or re-routed. These are my ideas

Bronx.
BxM1-use Harlem River Drive down to 96th Street both direction.

combine Bx10 and Bx34 into one route.
eliminate Bx38

Manhattan-revert M1 back to its former route down Park Avenue South

Queens-extend Q66 into Manhattan replacing the Q101.

Brooklyn-bring back the B51

Staten Island-make the X7 a daily route

Bronx.

eliminate Bx38

Please use the boro proposal threads,thank you.

Please use the boro proposal threads,thank you.

He just new here, so he might've not seen it, so just give him a chance ( he now knows about it,and with not being able to go back as many pages as before, I don't blame him for not finding out, but he'll be able to find the right thread next time).

Anyways....

Bronx.

eliminate Bx38

I would just make all BxM1 operate the current route, but with the trips bypassing Inwood keep skipping it.

Combining the Bx10 and Bx34 into one route is too circuitous, and the Bx10 suffers from unreliability

To eliminate the Bx38, the Bx28 also has to serve all of Co-Op city as a recompense

The Q66 is way too long to be extending any further, and would leave a gap on 35 Avenue without bus service.

I honestly am divided on bringing back the B51, so I won't really comment on that.

I don't really think the X7 should become a daily route, I honestly think the X1 has it all covered (as most people drive up to the X1 as well from those areas).

He just new here, so he might've not seen it, so just give him a chance ( he now knows about it,and with not being able to go back as many pages as before, I don't blame him for not finding out, but he'll be able to find the right thread next time).

Anyways....

My bad,I didnt know that