BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to walk over to ocean/caton for the Q shuttle yesterday morning (around 5am or so).... Saw nothin comin, so I took the short walk to Parkside/ocean.... Bus eventually came, rode it the one stop to prospect park b/c I didn't feel like walking from parkside to prospect pk (which is a longer distance)..... Bus was more crowded than I'd expect it to be....

Looks like holding lights are being expanded...to buses

Late night/early morning customers transferring from subway to bus at Brooklyn’s Coney Island-Stillwell Terminal will benefit from a newly installed set of “holding lights” that will alert bus operators on the B36 and B82 routes when trains are arriving and to wait for transferring customers. The holding lights will be turned on Monday, March 10th.

The idea behind the lights is to provide an improved subway to bus connection during a time when a missed connection could turn into a lengthy wait. Located on the northeast corner of Surf and Stillwell Avenues and in the Mermaid Avenue Bus Loop, the holding lights are coordinated with the arrival of Q Trains between the hours of 11 p.m. and 5 a.m., seven days a week.

The bright yellow holding lights will affect the operation of Coney Island-bound B36 and Spring Creek-bound B82 buses. The lights are illuminated when the train approaches the station and stay illuminated for five minutes. Delaying the bus’ departure gives customers the time to walk the length of the platform and then down to the bus stop.

“Stillwell Terminal is an intermodal hub, a place that facilitates the transfer of riders between bus and subway,” said Darryl Irick, President, MTA Bus and Senior Vice President, NYC Transit Department of Buses. “These new holding lights will make certain that late night riders won’t miss the bus after they leave the train, helping to create as seamless a trip as possible.”

http://new.mta.info/news-brooklyn-stillwell-avenue-buses-new-york-city-transit-subway/2014/03/07/holding-bus-trains

Ok, I want to start another discussion. Why are dispatchers making buses stay behind one another? Why can't they pass one another? So stupid. One bus is getting fully packed and running late, but the B/O that's right behind needs to sit. Now you have two buses running late, and people waiting at stops longer and stuff getting bunched up. A line like the B6, why make B/Os wait and stay behind a bus? That's a heavy route, they should just go and get people home or where they need to go. The bus is packed and you crawling behind another packed bus. I really don't understand that and I find it stupid.

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Ok, I want to start another discussion. Why are dispatchers making buses stay behind one another? Why can't they pass one another? So stupid. One bus is getting fully packed and running late, but the B/O that's right behind needs to sit. Now you have two buses running late, and people waiting at stops longer and stuff getting bunched up. A line like the B6, why make B/Os wait and stay behind a bus? That's a heavy route, they should just go and get people home or where they need to go. The bus is packed and you crawling behind another packed bus. I really don't understand that and I find it stupid.

It really irritates me on Jamaica Ave & Fulton Mall when 3 or 4 of the same buses come & they all stop. Then it gets over capacitated & they still wanna take passengers. And the buses that say "Next Bus Please" has more than enough room in the back because people wanna hump each other in the front or in the middle. Smh. Being a B/O is gonna be stressful. Edited by E For Erica

Ok, I want to start another discussion. Why are dispatchers making buses stay behind one another? Why can't they pass one another? So stupid. One bus is getting fully packed and running late, but the B/O that's right behind needs to sit. Now you have two buses running late, and people waiting at stops longer and stuff getting bunched up. A line like the B6, why make B/Os wait and stay behind a bus? That's a heavy route, they should just go and get people home or where they need to go. The bus is packed and you crawling behind another packed bus. I really don't understand that and I find it stupid. It really irritates me on Jamaica Ave & Fulton Mall when 3 or 4 of the same buses come & they all stop. Then it gets over capacitated & they still wanna take passengers. And the buses that say "Next Bus Please" has more than enough room in the back because people wanna hump each other in the front or in the middle. Smh. Being a B/O is gonna be stressful.

This is called fuzzy logic... :lol:

The wrapped NGs for the S79 are so pointless. They're rarely ever on the S79 nowadays. Branding it as S79 SBS was a really dumb idea on all sides. Having less stops is great, but they could've just called it a limited and not wasted the time and money wrapping the buses.

The wrapped NGs for the S79 are so pointless. They're rarely ever on the S79 nowadays. Branding it as S79 SBS was a really dumb idea on all sides. Having less stops is great, but they could've just called it a limited and not wasted the time and money wrapping the buses.

Yep. But can't do anything about it but let Yukon learn the hard way.

Just like how I saw a Next Gen being to'ed on DeKalb & Flatbush Extension and this dude was just standing there thinking it was only out of service for a minute. You can tell him what's really going on. But if he doesn't listen, that's him.

I'm on the N6 racing the Q2 via bustime, lol. Left the bus terminal at the same time.

Edit: Post "race" notes:

-Desktop Bustime works sufficiently on smartphones (Android at least).

-Q2 turned off Hillside as N6 passed 187th pl.

-N6 turned onto Francis Lewis Blvd while Q2 was @ Jamaica Ave (or waiting at 99th Ave signal, I didn't zoom in)

-N6 turned onto Hempstead Ave before Q2 reached Francis Lewis Blvd.

-N6 entered Nassau County before Q2 reached Springfield Blvd.

Edited by N6 Limited

What causes a route to run behind schedule so badly to the point where a bus doesn't come for close to an hour? I know traffic and stuff have an effect on it but literally it happen just about everyday with some routes. I know for a fact near me the Q88 coming from Queens Village has little traffic on that side of its route yet when it gets to Utopia or Kissena it's already 30 or more minutes late. The Q25 and Q65 every single day doesn't show up sometimes for at least 20 to 30 minutes and this happens a lot at the major points such as Main St (7) station. Is it really traffic causing bus routes to consistantly run behind time or does it have something to do with the depot and the operators?

Edited by NewFlyer 230