BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

What causes a route to run behind schedule so badly to the point where a bus doesn't come for close to an hour? I know traffic and stuff have an effect on it but literally it happen just about everyday with some routes. I know for a fact near me the Q88 coming from Queens Village has little traffic on that side of its route yet when it gets to Utopia or Kissena it's already 30 or more minutes late. The Q25 and Q65 every single day doesn't show up sometimes for at least 20 to 30 minutes and this happens a lot at the major points such as Main St (7) station. Is it really traffic causing bus routes to consistantly run behind time or does it have something to do with the depot and the operators?

It's either one B/O chose to take that trip off and went about his business with the bus (happens a lot in Brooklyn. Not as much now since BusTime is here) and/or one bus was running late (because of driving slow at first, then getting slammed with people and traffic etc), and because of this new "rule" the bus after that one I mentioned caught up to the packed bus...had to stay behind that packed bus, causing that big gap.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So that is basically a bus operators fault then if he chooses to run late. It haves everyday and that is not fair to people like myself who have to go to school, work, etc. I hope it stops because it's ridiculous. Every time I want to go somewhere I'm always getting to my destination at an undesired time.

It's either one B/O chose to take that trip off and went about his business with the bus (happens a lot in Brooklyn. Not as much now since BusTime is here) and/or one bus was running late (because of driving slow at first, then getting slammed with people and traffic etc), and because of this new "rule" the bus after that one I mentioned caught up to the packed bus...had to stay behind that packed bus, causing that big gap.

Why is "leapfrogging" not allowed anymore?

Took the :bus_bullet_b64: (4941),(Q) shuttles(4893,6298) and  :bus_bullet_b9: (7591) today...

Thoughts:

1.my ride on 6298 was a lot of fun:great engine,hilarious BO,fast trip

2.the :bus_bullet_b9:NEEDS artics,runs XX9,2--.O16, AND 010 were stuffed like goose feathers in a winter jacket

3.7591 crapped out no less than four times between 8 Av and Ridge Bl

4.When ever you can ride 4941,best RTS EVER...

2.the :bus_bullet_b9:NEEDS artics,runs XX9,2--.O16, AND 010 were stuffed like goose feathers in a winter jacket

Thats because there is no Manhattan bound (N) service this weekend. MTA always never wanted to increase the B9 service when there is no (N) service outage in either direction

Do any routes anywhere need to be changed or re-routed. These are my ideas

BxM1-use Harlem River Drive down to 96th Street both direction.

Staten Island-make the X7 a daily route

I would just make all BxM1 operate the current route, but with the trips bypassing Inwood keep skipping it.

I don't really think the X7 should become a daily route, I honestly think the X1 has it all covered (as most people drive up to the X1 as well from those areas).

Regardless of what the map states, all Riverdale express buses use the Harlem River Drive and Major Deegan interchangeably due to the fact that both can become backed up at any time. It would be completely foolish to have people sit in traffic when they know that it's backed up and B/O's can revert to the other route accordingly.  When there is no traffic, the Major Deegan is the quicker option, but if it's slammed, then the Harlem River Drive is better than sitting in traffic.  The problem with the Harlem River Drive is you have to use local streets to access it, which makes it a less attractive option unless you're in Inwood (hence why the BxM1's that stop in Inwood use it) or traffic is a mess on the Deegan.  The Deegan meanwhile is quickly accessible from 230th street and Broadway.

As for the X7, all express buses that run along Hylan Blvd are essentially variants to some extent of the X1  (at least that's the thinking).  If there were any bus that would get more service it would maybe be the X2, but the demographics and ridership habits point to folks needing and wanting 6th Avenue, hence why the X1 is so popular.  They've actually added X2 trips just to try to take some riders from the X1 and people still flock to the X1 because that's what they need the most.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4.When ever you can ride 4941,best RTS EVER...

Um, I thought that 4941 got into an accident and was scrapped, can someone back me up on this, I thought Ulmer had 4934-4940 and 4942-4944, never heard of or saw 4941 on UP terrorrity because I thought 4941 was gone a while ago, could I get some verification on that? Thank you so much.

Check and see if that bus was on Bustime and them you'll know if it's a real bus.

It was a "real bus" It was a normal B38 run. Tracked it before it came & everything. Driver dead told everyone to wait for the next one. And that one wasn't even crowded... I just found it so weird.

Can a B.O run an empty "Next Bus Please" Bus? And by empty, I mean only 5 people were on it. Literally!

Happens all the time -- goal is to reduce the number of people to speed up. My M2 will run NBP for a good 40 blocks southbound sometimes if the op is running late, skips Midtown where the main stops are.

Happens all the time -- goal is to reduce the number of people to speed up. My M2 will run NBP for a good 40 blocks southbound sometimes if the op is running late, skips Midtown where the main stops are.

I could see that in manhattan, yeah. And three RTS's did come after that bus left. Plus it WAS late so...