X80
Randall's Island

Icahn Stadium

(before events)

----------

(after events)

Harlem

125th Street and Lexington Avenue

at 125th Street ( 4   5   6   <6>  trains)

and Harlem–125 Street Metro-North station

• Operated by NYC Transit.
  • Special event service only, fares collected only for travel to Randall's Island.
  • Local bus service also available from Lexington Avenue to Icahn Stadium on the M35 full-time.
  •  

On Little Neck Pkwy I saw an express bus with its signs showed up as this toward Manhattan.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Route Terminals Notes

X80 Randall's Island

Icahn Stadium

(before events)

----------

(after events) Harlem

at 125th Street (

<6>

trains)

and Harlem–125 Street Metro-North station

• Special event service only, fares collected only for travel to Randall's Island.
  • Local bus service also available from Lexington Avenue to Icahn Stadium on the M35 full-time.
On Little Neck Pkwy I saw an express bus with its signs showed up as this toward Manhattan.

Just the driver fiddling with the sign, nothing major...

Route Terminals Notes

X80 Randall's Island

Icahn Stadium

(before events)

----------

(after events) Harlem

at 125th Street (

<6>

trains)

and Harlem–125 Street Metro-North station

That's KR, he's on here... I've seen his bus in Manhattan signed like that a few times.

also different unions didn't atu1056 get mad when the q32 was split between hudson, west side/quill and casey stengel?

I think there was some disagreeing going on so they decided that Casey Stengel would have the whole route.

So does anyone know when the NYCT and MTA Bus merger going to be complete? They are basically 85% similar at this point. Does it really take almost 10 years for a bus company merger to be complete? I wish the MTA bus routes would have those ancient bus signs replaced with the newer ones.

I think there was some disagreeing going on so they decided that Casey Stengel would have the whole route.

So does anyone know when the NYCT and MTA Bus merger going to be complete? They are basically 85% similar at this point. Does it really take almost 10 years for a bus company merger to be complete? I wish the MTA bus routes would have those ancient bus signs replaced with the newer ones.

Union conflicts between them is preventing that. The signs won't be replaced on those buses since many won't have much time left.

The Q70 is for all intents and purposes an express route within 1 borough (although one can ride between Woodside and Jackson Heights). The MCIs at LaGuardia are only used during the rush hour and otherwise sit idle. (This is also the case for the Baisley Park MCI fleet). As MCIs are better suited for long highway runs, while hybrids are best suited for stop-and-go traffic, and there is not much turnover on the Q70, would it not make sense from a financial standpoint to assign MCIs to the Q70? This would also have the effect of releasing the nine buses assigned to the Q70 back to the regular local pool, in part relieving a bus shortage at LGA, as well as evening out the mileage on LGA's MCIs with that of other garages (the MCIs at LGA have largely been there since delivery).

The S79 SBS is a route that doesn't have much stop-and-go traffic...which is where hybrids are most efficient. Would it not make sense to swap 35 3Gs from CAS (which currently does not have hybrids), sending 35 NG hybrids there, but barring them from the S53 or S93, and using the 3Gs on the S79 SBS?

The Q70 is for all intents and purposes an express route within 1 borough (although one can ride between Woodside and Jackson Heights). The MCIs at LaGuardia are only used during the rush hour and otherwise sit idle. (This is also the case for the Baisley Park MCI fleet). As MCIs are better suited for long highway runs, while hybrids are best suited for stop-and-go traffic, and there is not much turnover on the Q70, would it not make sense from a financial standpoint to assign MCIs to the Q70? This would also have the effect of releasing the nine buses assigned to the Q70 back to the regular local pool, in part relieving a bus shortage at LGA, as well as evening out the mileage on LGA's MCIs with that of other garages (the MCIs at LGA have largely been there since delivery).

The S79 SBS is a route that doesn't have much stop-and-go traffic...which is where hybrids are most efficient. Would it not make sense to swap 35 3Gs from CAS (which currently does not have hybrids), sending 35 NG hybrids there, but barring them from the S53 or S93, and using the 3Gs on the S79 SBS?

I've been suggesting this S79 3G thing (and making sure no hybrids on the 53/93) for a while. It makes no sense for them to run the hybrids on that route alone with the damn bridge on the route and the bus having long runs with green lights in SI.

As for the Q70 point, it's an interesting idea, but I doubt the (MTA) would ever do such a thing. In theory, it would be great if those MCIs had usable coach luggage storage under the passenger area. In practice, I wonder about the cost.

I've been suggesting this S79 3G thing (and making sure no hybrids on the 53/93) for a while. It makes no sense for them to run the hybrids on that route alone with the damn bridge on the route and the bus having long runs with green lights in SI.

As for the Q70 point, it's an interesting idea, but I doubt the (MTA) would ever do such a thing. In theory, it would be great if those MCIs had usable coach luggage storage under the passenger area. In practice, I wonder about the cost.

On the Q70, given that an MCI on the highway gets about 5 miles per gallon, I think that it would be cheaper. One could also have a driver do his first half on the QM24, deadhead to Woodside to run the Q70 (or start on the Q70 and then deadhead to Manhattan to run the QM24). It would also permit the last O5 CNGs to be retired, as 4020-8 would be the replacements.

Oh please... Let's not go crazy about Baisley's express bus "fleet".  They have all of what, eight MCIs?  I don't know what eight MCIs is supposed to do in the overall scheme of things.  

http://ttmg.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=New_York_MTA_Bus_Operations_Depot_Roster#Baisley_Park_.28BP.29

In any event, if Q70 riders want "express bus service", let them pay to ride in comfort, otherwise, those regular buses are just fine.  That's like telling LIRR and MNRR riders that they should share their commuter trains with subway riders, but the subway riders should still pay $2.50 while the LIRR and MNRR riders still pay a premium fare.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Oh please... Let's not go crazy about Baisley's express bus "fleet".  They have all of what, eight MCIs?  I don't know what eight MCIs is supposed to do in the overall scheme of things.  

http://ttmg.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=New_York_MTA_Bus_Operations_Depot_Roster#Baisley_Park_.28BP.29

In any event, if Q70 riders want "express bus service", let them pay to ride in comfort, otherwise, those regular buses are just fine.  That's like telling LIRR and MNRR riders that they should share their commuter trains with subway riders, but the subway riders should still pay $2.50 while the LIRR and MNRR riders still pay a premium fare.  

Except that LaGuardia has a fleet shortage and those 18-year old RTS buses are on their last legs...and the three remaining O5 CNGs have only a few months left on their tanks. Those local buses would better serve the MTA in the overall fleet pool. (Keep in mind that the S89 also occasionally gets MCIs as well.)

Except that LaGuardia has a fleet shortage and those 18-year old RTS buses are on their last legs...and the three remaining O5 CNGs have only a few months left on their tanks. Those local buses would better serve the MTA in the overall fleet pool. (Keep in mind that the S89 also occasionally gets MCIs as well.)

That should only be done as a last resort.  Baisley Depot isn't exactly known for stellar maintenance anyway, and I think it would be wrong to essentially tinker with the small amount of express bus service that QM21 riders currently receive by having those buses on local bus lines, potentially disrupting express bus service.  MCI's should be used first and foremost for express bus service only, especially seeing the high fares that express bus riders continue to pay. A better question and solution is why is the (MTA) dragging their feet with ordering new local buses and hiring more mechanics to maintain their fleet?  This bus shortage problem seems to be a problem at quite a few depots that don't have express bus service, and what you would have is QM21 riders having their service be a sacrificial lamb.  It's a bus that runs hourly outside of rush hour, so if they can't make service, those people could theoretically be waiting well over an hour to get home.   I suppose you don't rely on the express bus for your daily commute, but when a bus goes missing for me and I can't get to Metro-North because of my location, it can take me well over two hours to get home. 

In short, the (MTA) should be focusing on better oversight over its maintenance division because if express bus riders aren't the sacrificial lamb, then local bus riders will be, which will do nothing more but discourage people from using buses, which is precisely what the (MTA) should be working to change.

I was wondering, i noticed the QM5 has a run where it picks up at 36st in Manhattan only, does the route have enough ridership to warrant that (idk since I live in bklyn), if so can this same thing be applied to the X1 where it would make a stop at eltingville and run express to the city

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

A MCI would not ever run a a local/LTD route unless it was an extreme emergency or a really bad shortage. Staten Island is another story it's all messed up over there, you can have buses running on routes that don't even come from that depot and so on.

People are not going to pay $6.00 for a 15 minute ride because if that's the case they are better off taking the Q33 to the Q72 or M60.

I was wondering, i noticed the QM5 has a run where it picks up at 36st in Manhattan only, does the route have enough ridership to warrant that (idk since I live in bklyn), if so can this same thing be applied to the X1 where it would make a stop at eltingville and run express to the city Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yes, there's enough ridership on the QM Super Express buses.  People will often come down to 36th & 6th to get on there.  Apparently it saves a good 20 minutes in some cases depending on the driver.  As for the X1, there are plans in the works for a Super Express in the near future.  I think it's something they've been studying for a while now, especially with all of the variations of the X1, so they should have a good idea of where that bus can run to and from to be successful.

A MCI would not ever run a a local/LTD route unless it was an extreme emergency or a really bad shortage. Staten Island is another story it's all messed up over there, you can have buses running on routes that don't even come from that depot and so on.

People are not going to pay $6.00 for a 15 minute ride because if that's the case they are better off taking the Q33 to the Q72 or M60.

As far as I know, their fareboxes can be reprogrammed so as to accept the regular local fare. With coaches on the Q70, though, I think an issue would be luggage. Maybe, maybe not.

Edited by GojiMet86

As far as I know, their fareboxes can be reprogrammed so as to accept the regular local fare. With coaches on the Q70, though, I think an issue would be luggage. Maybe, maybe not.

Well $2.50 doesn't warrant these folks such great comfort.  Heck Newark Airport has buses that go to and from Bryant Park and they even use RTS's on some trips.  I think if people want that much comfort they should pay more for it (i.e. car service, etc.).

Well $2.50 doesn't warrant these folks such great comfort.  Heck Newark Airport has buses that go to and from Bryant Park and they even use RTS's on some trips.  I think if people want that much comfort they should pay more for it (i.e. car service, etc.).

Yup, Coach USA charges $16 for the EWR express and puts people on NABIs and RTSes mostly now.

Also we're forgetting all the hybrids are being converted to diesel at MTA Bus. The problem with hybrids built for stop and go traffic running a highway route will be solved, eventually...

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life