BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Yup, Coach USA charges $16 for the EWR express and puts people on NABIs and RTSes mostly now.

Also we're forgetting all the hybrids are being converted to diesel at MTA Bus. The problem with hybrids built for stop and go traffic running a highway route will be solved, eventually...

Can anyone ride it? Do you have to fly in order to ride it?

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That should only be done as a last resort.  Baisley Depot isn't exactly known for stellar maintenance anyway, and I think it would be wrong to essentially tinker with the small amount of express bus service that QM21 riders currently receive by having those buses on local bus lines, potentially disrupting express bus service.  MCI's should be used first and foremost for express bus service only, especially seeing the high fares that express bus riders continue to pay. A better question and solution is why is the (MTA) dragging their feet with ordering new local buses and hiring more mechanics to maintain their fleet?  This bus shortage problem seems to be a problem at quite a few depots that don't have express bus service, and what you would have is QM21 riders having their service be a sacrificial lamb.  It's a bus that runs hourly outside of rush hour, so if they can't make service, those people could theoretically be waiting well over an hour to get home.   I suppose you don't rely on the express bus for your daily commute, but when a bus goes missing for me and I can't get to Metro-North because of my location, it can take me well over two hours to get home. 

In short, the (MTA) should be focusing on better oversight over its maintenance division because if express bus riders aren't the sacrificial lamb, then local bus riders will be, which will do nothing more but discourage people from using buses, which is precisely what the (MTA) should be working to change.

The MTA Bus fleet is federally funded...which is why they get the hand-me-downs. However, as for from where the extra buses would come, that would likely be when the 2000-series MCIs (excluding 2210-2304) get replaced this year and next. The 2825-2924 batch could be sent to MTA Bus for service increases and LIRR shuttle duty. Some old MCIs could also remain on SI as downgraded to S89 duty or for potential expansions to New Jersey...until the conversion to diesel at MTA Bus is completed.

Edited by aemoreira81

I've been suggesting this S79 3G thing (and making sure no hybrids on the 53/93) for a while. It makes no sense for them to run the hybrids on that route alone with the damn bridge on the route and the bus having long runs with green lights in SI.

Why doesn't it make any sense?

As far as I know, their fareboxes can be reprogrammed so as to accept the regular local fare. With coaches on the Q70, though, I think an issue would be luggage. Maybe, maybe not.

Yea the fareboxes can be programmed to either local or express fares...look at the suburban RTS buses, they did it with no problems

As for MCIs on the Q70, yes they do have luggage tracks under the bus that can be opened and used, but they have some sort of lock on all the doors so that idea is pretty much out the window.

Then you gotta worry about the people getting on and off at every terminal, along with the driver getting off to open the luggage doors at every stop so they can get their luggage and whatnot. As good as an idea that may sound, it would just make dwell times at the terminals longer. Then you got the height clearances at Woodside and under the (7) train. They may fit, but you're pushing your luck there

Yea the fareboxes can be programmed to either local or express fares...look at the suburban RTS buses, they did it with no problems

As for MCIs on the Q70, yes they do have luggage tracks under the bus that can be opened and used, but they have some sort of lock on all the doors so that idea is pretty much out the window.

Then you gotta worry about the people getting on and off at every terminal, along with the driver getting off to open the luggage doors at every stop so they can get their luggage and whatnot. As good as an idea that may sound, it would just make dwell times at the terminals longer. Then you got the height clearances at Woodside and under the (7) train. They may fit, but you're pushing your luck there

They can easily open the racks under the bus. They're unlocked in NJ, I would guess all they gotta do is open a lock.

Why doesn't it make any sense?

Their mileage advantage goes out the window since the S79 doesn't have any stop-and-go traffic to deal with outside of three blocks on 92 St in Brooklyn going northbound, and there's the issue of the NG hybrids getting blown away by everything else on the bridge, including O5s and 3Gs. It's kind of the reason the MTA Bus's hybrids are getting converted to diesel, no?

Edited by Culver

Their mileage advantage goes out the window since the S79 doesn't have any stop-and-go traffic to deal with outside of three blocks on 92 St in Brooklyn going northbound, and there's the issue of the NG hybrids getting blown away by everything else on the bridge, including O5s and 3Gs. It's kind of the reason the MTA Bus's hybrids are getting converted to diesel, no?

The primary reason is because of maintenance costs. Not so much to do with performance.

As for mileage and stop-and-go, whether the bus stops or not due to traffic is still calculated regardless. With that said, buses on the S74 and S78 have it much worse than the 79 especially since the 74 and 78 run overnight.

As for buses being blown away by others, it depends. I've been on 3Gs, Orion Vs and hybrids that have passed each other before. I've been on 3Gs and Vs that have been dusted by hybrids, so that's a non-factor.

Sent from my Motorola Moto G.

They can easily open the racks under the bus. They're unlocked in NJ, I would guess all they gotta do is open a lock.

You still missed the whole point of the amount of extra dwell time that would come with people putting their stuff under the bus and getting it out at every stop...

The buses with the luggage tracks are good enough as it is

The MTA Bus fleet is federally funded...which is why they get the hand-me-downs. However, as for from where the extra buses would come, that would likely be when the 2000-series MCIs (excluding 2210-2304) get replaced this year and next. The 2825-2924 batch could be sent to MTA Bus for service increases and LIRR shuttle duty. Some old MCIs could also remain on SI as downgraded to S89 duty or for potential expansions to New Jersey...until the conversion to diesel at MTA Bus is completed.

Not MCIs... I was talking about local buses....

You still missed the whole point of the amount of extra dwell time that would come with people putting their stuff under the bus and getting it out at every stop...

The buses with the luggage tracks are good enough as it is

We deal with it in NJ... hell if you got rid of them there'd be quite a few complaints, the Designlines didn't have them and people on Route 9 weren't happy. Edited by Orion VII 4 Life