BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Spotted at Prevost at Morani/Richmond signed as X2, probably heading to Manhattan to start an X2 trip. I joked around on a Facebook page saying that the X2 is lost since the route goes nowhere near Bulls' Head.

On Staten Island anything is impossible ever since Charleston opened. I won't be shocked if a Prevost pulls up tonight on the X12. Here and there they'll stick new buses on that line.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On another note, I spotted a Nova on the S44 a few hours ago. The S44, S59 and S61 have school runs supplied by Castleton that comes from IS 72 at around 1:30. The S44s drop out at Post/Jewett, managed to get a rear photo of the bus but not the front.

On Staten Island anything is impossible ever since Charleston opened. I won't be shocked if a Prevost pulls up tonight on the X12. Here and there they'll stick new buses on that line.

Sometimes you'll see D4500CT's on the X12 because it has some trippers out of Castleton.

It's easy for SI Division to pull buses from another depot. I caught 4325 (Charleston) working the X12 a while back... A rather late trip at that as well. There's been other times where Yukon does trips on the X17, X30 and X31.

Edited by SevenEleven

I spotted something like that one afternoon at Union square. Prevost signed up on the x10, and it was a Yukon bus.

It's easy for SI Division to pull buses from another depot. I caught 4325 (Charleston) working the X12 a while back... A rather late trip at that as well. There's been other times where Yukon does trips on the X17, X30 and X31.

Sometimes you'll see D4500CT's on the X12 because it has some trippers out of Castleton.

Yeah I know all of that. Remember I lived on Staten Island for many years, so I've seen a bit of everything, which was my point, not that I was necessarily shocked. The other possibility of course is that dispatch will ask around to see if anyone can do "X" run which could come from any depot depending on how desperate they are. I've heard them over the radio asking if anyone is available to do such and such run. The real question is why does Staten Island have such a hard time filling runs? From what I've heard some B/Os don't like working on Staten Island and some say it is a schlepp to get to. Is this the only reason??

Yeah I know all of that. Remember I lived on Staten Island for many years, so I've seen a bit of everything, which was my point, not that I was necessarily shocked. The other possibility of course is that dispatch will ask around to see if anyone can do "X" run which could come from any depot depending on how desperate they are. I've heard them over the radio asking if anyone is available to do such and such run. The real question is why does Staten Island have such a hard time filling runs? From what I've heard some B/Os don't like working on Staten Island and some say it is a schlepp to get to. Is this the only reason??

As for runs, I think it could of the fact that not many bus operators are available when they are needed. For example, they call out sick, but the depot doesn't always find a replacement which is why some buses go MIA. I've seen this a LOT with the SI local routes, but not sure about the express.

RTS 9691 has a different bell sound compared to other buses. Instead of a 'ding' it sounds like a bing [more 'digital'], nothing much, but something different.

Also RTS 8865's farebox wasn't working properly. I dipped my pay per ride card in, but it kept getting a read error. I checked the balance and it shows i didn't lose a fare. Not that it mattered since I was going to need a transfer anyway, but that was a first for me - regarding a pay per ride card not losing a fare.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Ok, Ill be going to Brooklyn on Saturday and I am looking to ride a 1996 Flatbush RTS, is there a specific route they are used most hevially on? And also Id like 2 ride on one of the last SC 05 CNG's, are they more common on the 100 or the 103, just wondering, looking to ride these buses before they are retiered.

Ok, Ill be going to Brooklyn on Saturday and I am looking to ride a 1996 Flatbush RTS, is there a specific route they are used most hevially on?

No; if you see them, then you see them... the Yard SLDs (at Flatbush) do not put specific buses on specified routes.

Good luck.

Ok, Ill be going to Brooklyn on Saturday and I am looking to ride a 1996 Flatbush RTS, is there a specific route they are used most hevially on? And also Id like 2 ride on one of the last SC 05 CNG's, are they more common on the 100 or the 103, just wondering, looking to ride these buses before they are retiered.

^ What he said about the 1996s; as for the O5s, I can tell you the C40s are definitely being favored on the 103, and not just because there are so few O5s left. It's practically all C40s now with a sprinkling of hybrids, I've had more luck with JG O5s than SC O5s recently. For that reason, I'd try the B100 but it's all about luck. Weekend is gonna have fewer old buses, btw.

At least the 8400s had age as an excuse, that 9500 bus sounds like it had 'deferred maintenance'.

The 84/8500s were slow during the 90s as well, back before they got repowered. IDK what it was about those RTSs, but most of them was never as fast as the other RTSs are.