BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a day I had yesterday...spent the entire day in Staten Island and the buses were extremely well to me. Started off the day with an Orion 5 on the S93 Limited, then rode an Orion 5 on the S59 to the mall and went to work. After work I rode an Orion 5 on the S59 to Tottenville and cgot some photos of the Conference House. Then I took an Orion 5 on the S78, a Nova on the S54 (spent some time in Todt Hill), made moves to Port Richmond on an Orion 5 on the S66, then took an Xcelsior on the S90 Limited and checked out the abandoned North Shore Line for a few minutes. From there I took an Orion 5 on the S59 to the Transit Center and charged my phone for a while, and then went back to Tottenville on another Orion 5 on the S59 and got some photos of the sunset. Then from there I took the last S59 from Tottenville to the mall and chilled there for a bit. Then I took yet another Orion 5 on the S59 to the Transit Center and waited for the 9:00 X1...which was a Prevost. Rode it all the way to Central Park South and then went home from there. Great day, no hybrids and rode my favorite buses as well. Can't think of a better way to start and end the day with nothing else than an Orion 5 and a Prevost...leading the way all day every day! (y)

How often does the Q102 run to Roosevelt Is.? I went there on my bike today and it seemed like it took forever for a bus to come. I only got to fan 1 Q102 and a whole bunch of those red Orion 7s.

(still wondering why Red bus #7 has an unused LED sign on the back...)

Express buses didn't exist back then. wink_smile.gif

Actually, they started running express buses back in 1968 I believe (of course, they started in SI). I don't know when they expanded it to The Bronx, though. The subway system was deteriorating in the 1970s and 1980s, so I assume some time during that period.

Keep in mind that all of the express routes in The Bronx were privately run, and only NYCT-run express routes (anything with an "X") appeared on the map until 2005 I believe, so even if The Bronx had express buses, they wouldn't have appeared on the map back in 1977 because they weren't run by NYCT.

What a day I had yesterday...spent the entire day in Staten Island and the buses were extremely well to me. Started off the day with an Orion 5 on the S93 Limited, then rode an Orion 5 on the S59 to the mall and went to work. After work I rode an Orion 5 on the S59 to Tottenville and got some photos of the Conference House. Then I took an Orion 5 on the S78, a Nova on the S54 (spent some time in Todt Hill), made moves to Port Richmond on an Orion 5 on the S66, then took an Xcelsior on the S90 Limited and checked out the abandoned North Shore Line for a few minutes. From there I took an Orion 5 on the S59 to the Transit Center and charged my phone for a while, and then went back to Tottenville on another Orion 5 on the S59 and got some photos of the sunset. Then from there I took the last S59 from Tottenville to the mall and chilled there for a bit. Then I took yet another Orion 5 on the S59 to the Transit Center and waited for the 9:00 X1...which was a Prevost. Rode it all the way to Central Park South and then went home from there. Great day, no hybrids and rode my favorite buses as well. Can't think of a better way to start and end the day with nothing else than an Orion 5 and a Prevost...leading the way all day every day! (y)

When you checked out the North Shore Line, did you take the S90 for one stop or something and then walk back to Port Richmond Avenue? Because the S59 and S66 only have one point where they connect to the S90, and it's the same point for both routes.

And I assume you just walked from CSI to Richmond Avenue for the S59, right?

How often does the Q102 run to Roosevelt Is.? I went there on my bike today and it seemed like it took forever for a bus to come. I only got to fan 1 Q102 and a whole bunch of those red Orion 7s.

(still wondering why Red bus #7 has an unused LED sign on the back...)

Bus 7 was originally MTA #1294.

When you checked out the North Shore Line, did you take the S90 for one stop or something and then walk back to Port Richmond Avenue? Because the S59 and S66 only have one point where they connect to the S90, and it's the same point for both routes.

And I assume you just walked from CSI to Richmond Avenue for the S59, right?

Yeah I skated from CSI to Richmond Avenue. And yeah I checked out the North Shore Line at the Nicholas Avenue stop and then skated back to Port Richmond Avenue.

Yeah I skated from CSI to Richmond Avenue. And yeah I checked out the North Shore Line at the Nicholas Avenue stop and then skated back to Port Richmond Avenue.

If you take the S46 to Van Pelt Avenue/Linden Avenue, you could make out the old Mariners' Harbor station (but it's all overgrown from being abandoned 50 years ago). I think the Port Richmond station is still part of the structure, but it's harder to see it since you have to look up at the overpass.

I don't think the Arlington station is still standing, but that yard is still pretty cool to look at (I think they lay up freight trains over there still)

I dunno if 9598 was white backed at FP or recently, but it is. Only 'oddity' is the number plate is black with white numbers (instead of white with blue numbers).

9587 is the same, a few FP buses were done that way. 8953 had a blue stripe, a white back, and black number plate.

Bus 7 was originally MTA #1294.

wow. MTA test buses sure do wind up in really weird locations sometimes...

wait, wasn't there also another test NG? 1100 series? IIRC seeing a video of it on YT, the rear lights were in different form.

wow. MTA test buses sure do wind up in really weird locations sometimes...

wait, wasn't there also another test NG? 1100 series? IIRC seeing a video of it on YT, the rear lights were in different form.

Not that I know of. The only NG demos we have had were 1292, 1294 and 1295. A lot of the times, the demonstrators we have demo elsewhere before eventually being bought. 0054 and 0059 were bought by TAs in Canada.

5128, wtf is wrong with that bus? Each time it stopped and went it was screeching its tires.

Many of the 5000s are that way (at least at Flatbush), where you'll hear the tires rubbing against the suspension, and that pisses me off royally. I have an internal sad face when the yard dispatcher gives me a 5000 sometimes... I swear, unless it's 5135 & a few other select ones that don't have the partition and run their ass off, then it's a smiley face. B)