BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5128, wtf is wrong with that bus? Each time it stopped and went it was screeching its tires.

Many of the 5000s are that way (at least at Flatbush), where you'll hear the tires rubbing against the suspension, and that pisses me off royally. I have an internal sad face when the yard dispatcher gives me a 5000 sometimes... I swear, unless it's 5135 & a few other select ones that don't have the partition and run their ass off, then it's a smiley face. B)

You know what I didn't realize: The buses all have their number stamped on top of the roof. With all my years of using buses, I never realized that.

and if you look really close at some l-ion batts they have the DANGER: HIGH VOLTAGE stickers on them.

NG 4224? has a '3 tone' sound when someone pulls the cord or presses the button. The 1st part you can hear, but the following 2 are harder to hear.

Rode the back section of the XD40 today and I have to say it has the best rear seat configuration of all 3 lf buses at UP. It doesn't have the 'conversation seats' of the Nova lfs and it doesn't have that extra tall rear section 2seater that is on the wheel arch the 3g has.

Edited by Grand Concourse

lol... Where have you been all of these years that you didn't know this??

Simple. I just never had the chance to look down on a bus. My apartment building in Brooklyn wasn't directly on a street with a bus route, and neither is the current street I live on. I was just in a classroom on the 4th floor of my school and I looked out and I was like "Holy crap. I never knew they put the numbers on the top of the bus" (I thought they only put them on the side and in front). I guess in case there's some kind of emergency and they need to send in a helicopter or

You know what I didn't realize: The buses all have their number stamped on top of the roof. With all my years of using buses, I never realized that.

I've ONLY ever seen the numbers on top. Lived above a bus stop all my life. The older buses have no numbers left thanks to the stickers peeling off, and the oldest buses (this was most common on GMC RTSes) the roof rusts completely and all you see is bare metal and rust.

On the S44 this morning, there was a poster (it looked pretty official) saying there was some sort of meeting that was going to be held to discuss bus service. I didn't write it down, but I know it is being held by Darryl Irick, and it's going to be held from 5PM - 7PM on a Wednesday (I don't recall the exact date). I'm pretty sure it's being held at 347 Madison Avenue, but I'll have to confirm it.

In any case, I'm just posting this so everybody's on the lookout for that poster and can post the details. I'll look for it on the buses tomorrow.

On the S44 this morning, there was a poster (it looked pretty official) saying there was some sort of meeting that was going to be held to discuss bus service. I didn't write it down, but I know it is being held by Darryl Irick, and it's going to be held from 5PM - 7PM on a Wednesday (I don't recall the exact date). I'm pretty sure it's being held at 347 Madison Avenue, but I'll have to confirm it.

In any case, I'm just posting this so everybody's on the lookout for that poster and can post the details. I'll look for it on the buses tomorrow.

Yeaa, i seen it i believe it called "New York City Bus Council Forum"

Q21LTDerror.png

Just realized this error. The Q21 LTD doesn't actually stop at Pitkin Av. I doubt anybody got on thinking it would stop at Pitkin Av anyway. Although, it'll probably be fixed when the Q21 LTD is re-named in June. Well, not so much "fixed" as the Q52 will have a brand new schedule entirely or probably share one with the Q53.

Edited by Mysterious2train

Off-peak, the two branches of the Q11 have service every hour each. The Q11 and Q21 are both every half-hour. (Although, this had only been in effect for a little while.) While Limited service gets better, local service gets worse.... I remember someone on Subchat complaining that there'll be 4 routes of Woodhaven Blvd soon (Q11, 21, 52, and 53), never mind the fact that the 11 and 21 have crappy headaways and the 52 probably will too (but don't quote me on that)

Edited by Mysterious2train

Somebody on Subchat posted up the details of that forum: http://www.pcac.org/2012/04/15/the-nyctrc-to-hold-bus-forum-april-25th/

TWO MINUTES????? Are they kidding me? What do they expect to accomplish with 2 minutes worth of questions and comments per person? And of course, they only have one meeting for the whole city.

Needless to say, I'm not going to drag myself all the way to Manhattan for 2 minutes worth of comments. I learned my lesson from the other meetings I attended (at least then I got to speak personally to some people on the "inside", even if they came up with BS to try and shoot down my proposals).

Yeah, these types of meetings would be great, but they should be longer, held more frequently, and held in each borough, and we should get more than two measley minutes to voice our concerns.

Forgot to mention this from this morning: I get on the Q35 to the Junction as normal, but rather than go to Av H and turn there, the driver makes the turn on Av I and drives up Nostrand. He then drops everyone off right by the garage side of the Target center and makes a right on Av H and I presume, to head back to Queens. I dunno if this was some extra trip or something, but I never had a Q35 that made a turn on Av I or anywhere not around the Junction.

Forgot to mention this from this morning: I get on the Q35 to the Junction as normal, but rather than go to Av H and turn there, the driver makes the turn on Av I and drives up Nostrand. He then drops everyone off right by the garage side of the Target center and makes a right on Av H and I presume, to head back to Queens. I dunno if this was some extra trip or something, but I never had a Q35 that made a turn on Av I or anywhere not around the Junction.

New turn around procedure that went into effect last pick or so.

Interesting. I do think it is good because Av H is pretty congested now, but I hope it doesn't mean the s/b buses no longer stops at the usual corner just north of Av H on Flatbush av (where the Models is). Coming home I don't want to cross the street when the B41 takes forever to show up.

Interesting. I do think it is good because Av H is pretty congested now, but I hope it doesn't mean the s/b buses no longer stops at the usual corner just north of Av H on Flatbush av (where the Models is). Coming home I don't want to cross the street when the B41 takes forever to show up.

You think the new turnaround is good because "H" is congested, when the new turnaround means that the buses use "H" to turn around, which you said was congested? Maybe you meant the westbound side of "H".

I like the new turnaround because it enables the buses to turn faster (unlike before when they had to make an "acute angle" turn) and will probably result in the B44s being held up less around the Junction.

No, the buses will no longer stop on Flatbush between Nostrand and "H". They make the right on "H" and head back down Flatbush to the Rockaways from there. It would not make sense for the buses to go from "H" to anywhere on Flatbush north of "H". It would greatly complicate the routing.

I meant when it goes n/b to turn on Av H as congested. I didn't get to ride the new Q35 route southbound yesterday as I got a B41 back. But I still think the Q35 should still make the turn at the Nostrand- Flatbush intersection that it usually does, where's the new stop going to be? the corner where the Target entrance is? I get that the turn on Nostrand was a tight turn, but that's where the majority of riders catches the bus. The n/b change I like, but not if it means avoiding that corner for the s/b stop.